The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version

Queta is a load... 18 pts / 14 boards / 9 blocks ... 7 foot 245 lbs ... wish we had him.. but I’m barely over 5 ‘2”

Latest lunardi bracket update (2:15 am est.. )

Colorado state 1st out
St. Louis last in

We are 1st of the last 4 in .. so according to this.. we can survive 3 bid steals.. although that isn’t 100 percent true..

Eg: Utah state wins vs San Diego .. now they’re an auto bid .. so we’d be the third team out ... of course this assumes the rankings are accurate

Last edited:
Latest lunardi bracket update (2:15 am est.. )

Colorado state 1st out
St. Louis last in

We are 1st of the last 4 in .. so according to this.. we can survive 3 bid steals.. although that isn’t 100 percent true..

Eg: Utah state wins vs San Diego .. now they’re an auto bid .. so we’d be the third team out ... of course this assumes the rankings are accurate
Palm bracket (5:55am) UCLA PIG. Then Creighton. Then WVU. Then Michigan. Don't like it but no easy paths.

My thoughts...

The Ole Miss loss to LSU was the most important result for us. If they won the SEC conference, they would have jumped us for sure and maybe knocked us out.

The Utah State win is a concern. They were already in on some brackets and I suspect they are very close to us. If they lose to San Diego State, even though that would not be a bad loss, i think we will surely end up ahead of them. But if they win, yes, they could jump ahead of us. On the flip side, it is conceivable we could pass Colorado State now and that might well happen.

Georgetown is a concern. Creighton is getting in no matter what, so if the Hoyas win, someone in the field today loses their spot. Oregon State is, I think, the other school that we have to be worried about. Same situation. Ironic that 2 schools with prominent SU alums on the coaching staff could play big roles in eliminating Syracuse from the tournament.

Let’s focus now on the MAC tournament. 1 seed Toledo was quietly upset yesterday. I haven’t seen them seeded higher than 13, can’t imagine they have a shot at an at large bid, so that result is okay for us. It is actually good for us, in that Buffalo beat Akron, and only needs to play 5 seed Ohio now to win the MAC.

Our nuclear winter scenario is that

1) Utah State upsets San Diego State
2) Georgetown upsets Creighton
3) Oregon State upsets Oregon

We are in real danger if 3 teams penciled in the field today lose their spots this weekend. But even if that happens, we would have a win over the Big East champion and a win over the MAC champion. Those OOC wins are a big differentiator for us, I think, and would get us in over someone like Colorado State. But it would bring us perilously close to being dropped from the field.

Gotta root for MCW’s brother to get Creighton a win over our favorite old rival from the BE. Go San Diego State. I think Colorado beat USC so we want them to take out Oregon State.

Fun to have a stake in all those great games being played this weekend, Grateful college basketball is back and we are in the mix for a bid.

Lastly, as you watch the Colorado-Oregon State game, here is a nice article on the Thompson family to review. Ethan is a very good player (and like his dad, apparently a great person and student). Stevie Jr graduated last season and now Ethan is a senior. This is the end of the line for them.

Who we should root for today:

3PM: Cincy over Wichita. The Shockers may be in anyway, but just in case - we just really want Houston to win the AAC

530PM: Houston over Memphis. See above

6PM: SDSU over Utah state. Again, Utah state is probably feeling good, but just in case. We want SDSU to win the MWC

630PM: Creighton over GTown. I’d we were safely in the field, GTown winning would hekp
Our metrics. But we don’t want the Hoyas to take a spot just in case.

730PM: Buffalo over Ohio. Buffalo has been a very good win OOC win. Them going to the tourney is good for us

1030PM Colorado over Oregon State. Bid stealer situation here.

We’ve had a pretty good week considering. We still have a few bullets to dodge today but I think If a few bid steals happen, it would be other teams losing their spots, not us

Lunardi Midnight Update:

1615639281376.png

Who we should root for today:

3PM: Cincy over Wichita. The Shockers may be in anyway, but just in case - we just really want Houston to win the AAC

530PM: Houston over Memphis. See above

6PM: SDSU over Utah state. Again, Utah state is probably feeling good, but just in case. We want SDSU to win the MWC

630PM: Creighton over GTown. I’d we were safely in the field, GTown winning would hekp
Our metrics. But we don’t want the Hoyas to take a spot just in case.

730PM: Buffalo over Ohio. Buffalo has been a very good win OOC win. Them going to the tourney is good for us

1030PM Colorado over Oregon State. Bid stealer situation here.

We’ve had a pretty good week considering. We still have a few bullets to dodge today but I think If a few bid steals happen, it would be other teams losing their spots, not us
Thanks for the update - everything I need to know to schedule my TV viewing and Web surfing today!

Queta is a load... 18 pts / 14 boards / 9 blocks ... 7 foot 245 lbs ... wish we had him.. but I’m barely over 5 ‘2”
He's legit. One of the unknown stars in college hoops.

What do you guys think about drake, idk how they are even considered when they have beaten nobody good!!

Wow, SDSU is 0-3 in Q1 games meaning by default we have more Q1 wins than them, compare the resume just based on the Q's and ours is better. This is why I can't trust these bracketology guys, they basically get 60 answers to the test and spend years "studying" and half the time they cant even get a passing (65%+) grade on the only difficult 8 or so picks. Ever year I like to take emotions out of it and pick honestly do we belong, 2016 I thought no and 2018 was a legit sweater but this year IMO we are in and it shouldn't be close.

Lunardi Midnight Update:

View attachment 197874

As much as we hate the funky metrics you can see they are helping us a lot here. The eye test and committee sees us possibly in even better light but with a Net of 40, KPom 41, Sagarin 34 and BPI of 33( SOR 42 now), it's really difficult keeping us out for the talking heads too. We sit right next to a clear lock in Rutgers.

I want Nova.
not me, I'd be worried that Wright has seen the zone so much through the years that it might be some kind of advantage for them because he'd know exactly how to attack it. We seem to have good luck in the NCAAs with teams unfamilar with it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom