the crane the crane | Page 227 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Real progress?
As opposed to #FakeProgress?

That would be beautiful. Just beautiful.

are we walking game 1-8 run blocking progress or games 9-12 run blocking progress?

I opened my shades at home the other day and the fox was sitting under the bird feeder. Nothing compared to today at the lake. I was at the storage shed and saw something charging me. It was a groundhog on a mission to get under the shed. I admit that I did let out a tiny scream when I saw this animal heading straight for me.

1591057668977.gif

Are they putting down a new base level surface under the turf when construction is done? Seems the cranes inside are tearing into the old surface quite a bit.

why ? was it ever being used again? it was under the field turf wasnt it?

Yes, this.
I mean, it's a kinda neat piece of history, but not neat enough that it ever gets seen, except for when the field gets removed.

Does it really matter? Nobody's using the track again either.

Tomcat/NJCuse97 - when you have time I wanted you to direct me to the rendering, (I think by Geiger), of the new roof. I have done an advanced search and it's not coming up.
Reason:
Thought you'd be interested in NJCuse97's post #5644 pg. 226 Click on the link and it will take you to examples of Pfeifer's work - click on structures, then stadiums and BC Place has the exact, (don't know what you call them supports as our design), but they look like half circles that support the fabric. Interesting that what is shown in the rendering is the same // and also what they are able to do with the lighting.
Thanks for your time when you can get to it.
They use the same concept in a different manner at BC Place, but I do know that it was a major influence on our design because the scenarios were so similar. They are using the half hoops to make a truss and resolve the span loads. The depth of the arch is the depth of the truss. Here are some rough sketches to show what I mean. The trusses are organized like a "cats eye" and the ring truss holds it up some by its edges.

Attachments

• Dome1.pdf
    293.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Dome2.pdf
    332.1 KB · Views: 155
They use the same concept in a different manner at BC Place, but I do know that it was a major influence on our design because the scenarios were so similar. They are using the half hoops to make a truss and resolve the span loads. The depth of the arch is the depth of the truss. Here are some rough sketches to show what I mean. The trusses are organized like a "cats eye" and the ring truss holds it up some by its edges.
Thanks for this explanation NJCuse97. I don't understand the cat's eye reference but everything else made sense to me.

Regarding the half hoop arches that compromise most of the interior part of the new roof, do you know what they are?

Are they made of steel and bolted together as needed to make a chain? Some of them are really long. Can't imagine these are single pieces.

Thanks for this explanation NJCuse97. I don't understand the cat's eye reference but everything else made sense to me.

Regarding the half hoop arches that compromise most of the interior part of the new roof, do you know what they are?

Are they made of steel and bolted together as needed to make a chain? Some of them are really long. Can't imagine these are single pieces.
Whoops. I meant a gods eye.
1591124575962.png

I don't know, but I assume they are steel and bolted or connected in some way. I assume it would be a rigid connection to each other and a pin connection (allows movement) at the ends.

Attached is a screen capture I took yesterday. It is clear they are spending a lot of time prepping the cables for the new roof. Noticed they attached some things to one of the cables.

Not sure what they are but I think these are the same white thingees I saw getting driven into the dome on a flat bed truck a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know what they are?

I am wondering if they will be used to connect the roof cables that cross each other perpendicularly?

Thoughts?

Dome 060220.jpg

Attached is a screen capture I took yesterday. It is clear they are spending a lot of time prepping the cables for the new roof. Noticed they attached some things to one of the cables.

Not sure what they are but I think these are the same white thingees I saw getting driven into the dome on a flat bed truck a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know what they are?

I am wondering if they will be used to connect the roof cables that cross each other perpendicularly?

Thoughts?

View attachment 182108
Yep, these seem like the start of hydraulic cables so they can lift the cable structure to the crown truss in a synchronized manner. Good eye, Tom!

Thoughts?

View attachment 182108
It also looks like scaffolding is being removed. I don't see any scaffolding in the northwest corner.

Another day, more cables being prepped with the strange white objects. See the picture below. Still unsure of what these objects are but they are popping up on the cables regularly now.

The cranes are also clearly attaching cables from inside of the dome to perimeter tension ring (or something really close to the perimeter tension ring). There was a crane leaning way over to the edge of the rim in the northwest corner late this afternoon. It brought over a cable and a bunch of workers appeared to take it (and presumably attach it to the ring).

Unfortunately, the angle is a bad one and you can't easily see if there is a cable in place now and if so, where it goes.

I am assuming that at some point, they are going to need to attach the roof cables to the tension ring. Maybe that process has started?

060320.jpg

IMO that video didn't show anything new, at least by the people that have been following the construction.

I hear ya...kinda thought the same. Showing that last girder with the Christmas type tree on it completing the truss ring happened in late April early May I think. The dismantling of Walt also was in May...yet it's the June update?

I hear ya...kinda thought the same. Showing that last girder with the Christmas type tree on it completing the truss ring happened in late April early May I think. The dismantling of Walt also was in May...yet it's the June update?
It is only June 3rd. ;)

Thoughts?

View attachment 182108

I'm wondering if the white thingies are what we see at 4:25 in that video I posted that multiple cables are passed through which will form the roof support system...cable net.

I'm wondering if the white thingies are what we see at 4:25 in that video I posted that multiple cables are passed through which will form the roof support system...cable net.
I think CuseLegacy has nailed it. That makes a lot of sense. Good work, ;)

They look like big cable joiners. Instead of joining cables forming circles to spokes, ours will join cables coming from right angles to make that stable honeycomb pattern we all know so well from the old roof.

Looks so simple ... a few weird looking cables, hydraulically stretched to within a millimeter or two to reach precise locking pins, holding up a roof with a 7,000+ ton capacity over a 527,000 square foot facility that holds 50,000 people. What's the hold-up?! :cool:

Last edited:
April 20 was the Golden Girder day, I believe.