the crane the crane | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I thought JIT is more for mass production where you want to keep your inventory costs down. I guess it would apply here but it is probably more due to not wanting several similar pieces on-site that could potentially be assembled in the wrong spot.
The article BillSU linked a couple of pages ago from Hayner Hoyt’s web site indicated that the steel for the crown truss is being fabricated by ADF in Montreal 3 shifts each weekday, 23 hours a day and 2 shifts on Saturdays. Sounds like they are making it as quickly as they can.

As best I can tell, they are getting it on site just as it is needed. There isn’t a lot of room on site to store these huge pieces and since each is custom made, I agree with you, letting a lot of inventory pile up, even if it were possible, wouldn’t be a great idea.

I think they are doing fine managing things so far.

just an issue if we get some weather delays on travel
Could be. They might have a couple days of inventory in Montreal so there is a buffer just in case. Definitely looks like they are holding it back until just before it is needed so far.

The article BillSU linked a couple of pages ago from Hayner Hoyt’s web site indicated that the steel for the crown truss is being fabricated by ADF in Montreal 3 shifts each weekday, 23 hours a day and 2 shifts on Saturdays. Sounds like they are making it as quickly as they can.

As best I can tell, they are getting it on site just as it is needed. There isn’t a lot of room on site to store these huge pieces and since each is custom made, I agree with you, letting a lot of inventory pile up, even if it were possible, wouldn’t be a great idea.

I think they are doing fine managing things so far.

Only 23 hours a day?

Do they get a poutine break?

Another cool shot, this white piece weighs 100,000lbs! Our guy was working the Walt crane this past week putting things together dealing with 50+mph gusts before they could get things down. Made good progress and soon they’ll be working 7 day weeks to git er done!
4C8FE704-8920-4ED0-B14E-D78249EBE427.jpeg

And yes there’s guys up there as you can see in the bucket guiding these things and connecting them, sometimes they're connecting things out of the bucket, sometimes they're trotting down 6” wide pieces like a gymnast. They’re harnessed in whether they like it or not (mostly not).

Last edited:
Yep our boy just confirmed it, 100,000lbs!
Certainly possible. The crane (Walt, I assume) has a maximum capacity of 1100 tons. 50 tons is a piece of cake. :)

Edit: forgot to show my work. :D