"The Dome roof" | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree about the light. I pray the powers that he will try and utilize ETFE as much as possible for the roof and cut out concrete exterior walls where possible and replace them with ETFE as well. That would make sitting in the Dome on a beautiful fall day a lot more pleasant.

What else? The Dome has never had a functional sound system for football and it isn’t very good for basketball. I assume a big part of that is due to the weird roof we have today.

A concourse at the top of the third level would make the seats way up near the top a lot more attractive, especially if bathrooms, escalators and concessions were added. It would also reduce congestion. I know there is talk about adding elevators for the coaching boxes. I hope they do more than that. Leave space for private boxes all along where the stands end and the wall begins, even if there isn’t demand for them yet.

It would be amazing if the Western wall of the facility, at least where the proposed third level of concourse would be, was made of ETFE so you could enjoy the sun and spectacular views of Onondaga Valley. Could see the downtown skyline and even Onondaga Lake if the corners were also opened up with ETFE.

Large open areas need to be added where people can stand around and talk with friends, walk bored kids, try their luck playing interactive games, etc. A food court is where people can buy a decent meal, then sit down and eat it is needed. It needs to have tables and chairs like food courts in a mall. Some restaurants are needed, where you can enjoy a nice meal, have a conversation with friends and watch the game while unwinding (on TV). The restaurants would ideally not be national franchises like Pizza Uno or Burger King but local restaurants that do Syracuse food. Places like Pastabilities, Kitty Hoynes, Avicollis, Delmonicos, Brooklyn Pickle, Twin Trees, maybe Heids and Tully’s.

Definitely need a Syracuse University sports museum. It should sell some souvenirs but also have interactive exhibits, film from big games, documentaries on all time Syracuse greats, etc, you should be able to get your picture taken with SU All Americans, try to kick a FG, throw a pass, etc,

And ginger ale should be available. Along with lots of other soda choices and lots of beer choices too.
We already have what you just described ... it's called the mall.

Last edited:
LOL - we should pick the best two recruits in the nation and offer to

Exactly. Add a few chain clothing stores and a movie theatre to Tom Cats description and you are there.

The roof line will be similar but higher when it is renovated . If we are using a dictionary definition and you think it is a "dome" now, it will be a "dome" after.

carrier-dome-gallery1jpg-9c0d0040c4e897ef.jpg

upload_2018-2-20_8-44-41.png

From Webster':

Definition of dome
6 : a roofed sports stadium
Definition of DOME

Also from:
Stadium - Wikipedia

"Domed stadiums are distinguished from conventional stadiums by their enclosing roofs. Many of these are not actually domes in the pure architectural sense, some being better described as vaults, some having truss-supported roofs and others having more exotic designs such as a tensegrity structure. But, in the context of sports stadiums, the term "dome" has become standard for all covered stadiums,[16] particularly because the first such enclosed stadium, the Houston Astrodome, was built with an actual dome-shaped roof."

Last edited:
The roof line will be similar but higher when it is renovated . If we are using a dictionary definition and you think it is a "dome" now, it will be a "dome" after.

carrier-dome-gallery1jpg-9c0d0040c4e897ef.jpg

Is that still the working rendering?

Is that still the working rendering?
Probably not but at the price point there are only so many things they can do with the roof. It won't look like the Viking stadium for sure. The major benefits of the roof are that the translucent material will let a lot of light in and no need for air locks which will allow for fresh air "windows" and make constructing corridors etc. much simpler.

native american museum and interactive displays--- coordinated wine trail and niagra falls trips as part game promotions

I propose a simple setup like this:

"The Wegmans Carrier Dome at Ernie Davis Field, Presented by Carrier (again) at Syracuse University"

Everyone wins.

Why not just the Wegmans (or whoever) Carrier Dome? Carrier might have perpetual naming rights but I wonder if they're exclusive? To me, it's been the Carrier Dome for so long that it's less a sponsor's name than a part of the character of the building. I don't have any problem with them retaining naming rights.

The complication is whether Carrier can veto adding a sponsor to the name and whether a sponsor would object to sharing the marquee with Carrier. This may be a way of solving the sponsor dilemma. It wouldn't be as lucrative as exclusive rights and finding a partner may be more difficult. But right now we can't even contemplate a new sponsor without legal proceedings.

Why not just the Wegmans (or whoever) Carrier Dome? Carrier might have perpetual naming rights but I wonder if they're exclusive? To me, it's been the Carrier Dome for so long that it's less a sponsor's name than a part of the character of the building. I don't have any problem with them retaining naming rights.

The complication is whether Carrier can veto adding a sponsor to the name and whether a sponsor would object to sharing the marquee with Carrier. This may be a way of solving the sponsor dilemma. It wouldn't be as lucrative as exclusive rights and finding a partner may be more difficult. But right now we can't even contemplate a new sponsor without legal proceedings.

There’s no “sponsor dilemma” I can see. There’s a “How do we get more money dilemma”.

Or a “How do we involve lawyers in this without looking like litigious and unprincipled money grabbers” dilemma.

There’s no “sponsor dilemma” I can see. There’s a “How do we get more money dilemma”.

Or a “How do we involve lawyers in this without looking like litigious and unprincipled money grabbers” dilemma.
The bigger dilemma is, how does Carrier/UTC come out not looking bad by by refusing to relinquish the rights to the name (which you say are nearly worthless to Carrier) to SU so they can leverage a new name for new funding? Carrier has quite the dilemma. Big bad UTC employing their big bad legal team against a small, private university.

Last edited:

Every time I read one of your posts, all I hear in my head are the "harrumph, harrumph, harrumph" guys in Blazing Saddles.

The bigger dilemma is, how does Carrier/UTC come out not looking bad by by refusing to relinquish the rights to the name (which you say are nearly worthless to Carrier) to SU so they can leverage a new name for new funding? Carrier has quite the dilemma. Big bad UTC employing their big bad legal team against a small, private university.
I’m afraid that your version of what mighT occur seems like a fantasy to me.

Everyone knows Carrier is a corporation and would or should behave in a particular fashion.

I think SU is the one that would look bad. There are different standards of behavior for Universities that ought to be teaching and modeling ethical behavior.

When you cut through all the BS and attempted spinning by amateurs th facts are pretty clear. Carrier gave SU a bunch of money and SU gave them naming rights. Now some want SU to wriggle out of that deal because they want more money.

I was comforted by Tomcat’s post that whatever deal that is struck will be mutually agreeable.

If I am Carrier the minimum I would agree to is the net present value of the original gift. That’s fair.

Every time I read one of your posts, all I hear in my head are the "harrumph, harrumph, harrumph" guys in Blazing Saddles.

I can’t see how this is relevant to what is being discussed.

I think this may be a case in which the alumni and the many non-alumni might see things differently. I’ll admit that I don’t care a bit about the reputation of Oswego State. But I care a lot about SU’ s.

I was comforted by Tomcat’s post that whatever deal that is struck will be mutually agreeable.

If I am Carrier the minimum I would agree to is the net present value of the original gift. That’s fair.
I've said before it will be mutually agreeable but it will have to be profitable for SU or they won't do it. However, the present value of Carrier's gift is at least $17M today. Now under what scenario would SU want to invest $17M in naming rights before it gets a dollar from them? It won't happen. Too expensive.

Last edited:
I've said before it will be mutually agreeable but it will have to be profitable for SU or they won't do it. However, the present value of Carrier's gift is at least $17M today. Now under what scenario would Carrier want to invest $17M in naming rights before it gets a dollar from them? It won't happen. Too expensive.
Carrier isn't going to sell its right to the name. They want to continue to have their name on the new facility.

The naming gift was a huge success for the university and a huge success for Carrier. It was a big win for both parties. Both want to continue to work together long term. Carrier is going to make a major investment to help make the new facility possible and get the same great visibility and name recognition they have enjoyed from the existing facility from day one.

Both sides are honorable. Both sides are working together to continue as partners for the long haul.

I am disappointed that Carrier moved their manufacturing facilities out of CNY but they still have an important presence in the area, they continue to have a strong connection to Syracuse University and some of its engineering programs and they want to continue this.

It is a good thing.

Carrier isn't going to sell its right to the name. They want to continue to have their name on the new facility.

The naming gift was a huge success for the university and a huge success for Carrier. It was a big win for both parties. Both want to continue to work together long term. Carrier is going to make a major investment to help make the new facility possible and get the same great visibility and name recognition they have enjoyed from the existing facility from day one.

Both sides are honorable. Both sides are working together to continue as partners for the long haul.

I am disappointed that Carrier moved their manufacturing facilities out of CNY but they still have an important presence in the area, they continue to have a strong connection to Syracuse University and some of its engineering programs and they want to continue this.

It is a good thing.
I agree. This is the likely scenario.

i am not sure about that. carrier may look at the dome, and syracuse in general, as a low impact investment at best. their money may be better spent else where. to those outside of syracuse ny, the dome means very little. folks IN syracuse believe it means more than it really does.
the success of our teams in the dome , may make the dome mean something. until we win, and win consistently, the dome, in its present form, has nothing to add .

I think this may be a case in which the alumni and the many non-alumni might see things differently. I’ll admit that I don’t care a bit about the reputation of Oswego State. But I care a lot about SU’ s.
I am an Alumnus. How SU dumps Carrier is of no import to me.
How SU handles free speech on campus is far more important to me than this relatively trivial area.

Hahaha God you're unpleasant! Hopefully you save all that unpleasantness up for this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.