"The Dome roof" | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanity knows no bounds. Who would have thought the court side seats would be such a big seller?
I have been lucky enough to sit in court side seats a number of times.

Not sure why you think it is vain to want to sit in them. Pretty sure people don't buy them to see the backs of their heads on TV. Pretty sure the draw is that they are great seats.

The dome is unique in that because it was designed for football sight lines, there has always been a ton of room from where the 'normal' seats end to where the court is. Why not take advantage of all the real estate and turn it into revenue?

In my opinion, this was the biggest win of the Dr Gross era (he had nothing to do with the ACC invitation).

I have been lucky enough to sit in court side seats a number of times.

Not sure why you think it is vain to want to sit in them. Pretty sure people don't buy them to see the backs of their heads on TV. Pretty sure the draw is that they are great seats.

The dome is unique in that because it was designed for football sight lines, there has always been a ton of room from where the 'normal' seats end to where the court is. Why not take advantage of all the real estate and turn it into revenue?

In my opinion, this was the biggest win of the Dr Gross era (he had nothing to do with the ACC invitation).
Agree. Gross' contribution to the ACC was hiring Marone (and not getting in the way). And court-side seats are a well-known revenue driver, which the dome (at least in its current configuration) is uniquely able to leverage. Pretty sure whatever they do, these seats will survive the renovation.

Agree. Gross' contribution to the ACC was hiring Marone (and not getting in the way). And court-side seats are a well-known revenue driver, which the dome (at least in its current configuration) is uniquely able to leverage. Pretty sure whatever they do, these seats will survive the renovation.

Sat there last night - the do a good job with the whole setup. Great way to see a game.

I was told last night at the NC game that SU is on the clock regarding the Dome roof. I think it’s two years out that the first two football games are on the road. I’m sure that was scheduled that way to give renovations an extra two weeks.

Like at the Pete or like what MSG did?

Event Level Suites | MSG

These suites are on court level, but underneath the seating. You get your own private seating section while also having access to a private suite.

Those are awesome. The dome has something like this already, with the private area for court side seats under the student seating. Would make sense to add it where they can and make it all swanky.

Those are awesome. The dome has something like this already, with the private area for court side seats under the student seating. Would make sense to add it where they can and make it all swanky.

Which, while nice enough, is essentially some tables with food inside of a concrete room that looks like a half re-finished basement. I'm not sure if suites like what they have at MSG would have enough return on investment for SU, but I do find them to be an interesting concept.

Which, while nice enough, is essentially some tables with food inside of a concrete room that looks like a half re-finished basement. I'm not sure if suites like what they have at MSG would have enough return on investment for SU, but I do find them to be an interesting concept.

The bathroom situation there leaves something to be desired. But it's a nice idea.

pretty much the same thing that Miami has for its season ticket holders.. a big giant room with tvs and some food.

Carrier and Syracuse - via some help with AEG - already came to the conclusion that a new naming rights sponsor could be had...that happened a year before Coyle arrived on campus. It just has not been enacted.

Good to know they have actually engaged AEG.

I personally still think dropping a new Public/Private multiuse facility in the inner harbor makes the most sense to maximize us and revenue streams, existing parking, traffic net, and onsite hotels.

Good to know they have actually engaged AEG.

I personally still think dropping a new Public/Private multiuse facility in the inner harbor makes the most sense to maximize us and revenue streams, existing parking, traffic net, and onsite hotels.

If you can get the County and Cuomo to pony up for it, awesome. This administration though wants to do the opposite in integrating athletics with student life.

If you can get the County and Cuomo to pony up for it, awesome. This administration though wants to do the opposite in integrating athletics with student life.

If they can pull off the investment needed on their own, that's great. Certainly understand that motivation, but then the school needs to foot the entire bill.

If they can pull off the investment needed on their own, that's great. Certainly understand that motivation, but then the school needs to foot the entire bill.
No they dont. The entire region will benefit. The region should also support this effort.

No they dont. The entire region will benefit. The region should also support this effort.

Why?

The Dome is in a horrible location for customers that don't live within walking distance, and only slated to get worse. (81 take down, parking moving further and further out).

There isn't a worse place in the region to have a facility that is dependent upon ten's of thousands of people congregating at the same time as its core purpose. This is an area with an abundance of open spaces near significant road nets, but let's have the government drop hundreds of millions in the least accessible, most densely built up area in the county, to reno an arena for the benefit of a PRIVATE institution.

If the school wants to keep the dome to further it's mission, integrate with Newhouse and Falk, and provide facilities for its students, then the school can pay for it. If they put together a business case and the BOT approves, then they should go for it. But don't ask taxpayers to subsidize that decision if the business case doesn't hold.

Last edited:
there are dozens of events each year that the community gets to see in comfort because of the dome that are not related to SU. we could never have hosted ncaa bball, converts, HS sports would not be as convenient, monster trucks, religious events etc..

why is the dome a bad location? is it any easier to get to any other place of this size? how many cities have easy places to get to that cost concerts or conventions or sporting events.? if you cant walk, parking/driving is a pain for almost all of them? the dome is actually pretty easy in and out compared to almost all the places to compare it too? easier than Buff or roch or albany and vastly easier than NY or Boston

Why?

The Dome is in a horrible location for customers that don't live within walking distance, and only slated to get worse. (81 take down, parking moving further and further out).

There isn't a worse place in the region to have a facility that is dependent upon ten's of thousands of people congregating at the same time as it's core purpose. This is an area with an abundance of open spaces near significant road nets, but let's have the government drop hundreds of millions in the least accessible, most densely built up area in the county, to reno an arena for the benefit of a PRIVATE institution.

If the school wants to keep the dome to further it's mission, integrate with Newhouse and Falk, and provide facilities for its students, then the school can pay for it. If they put together a business case and the BOT approves, then they should go for it. But don't ask taxpayers to subsidize that decision if the business case doesn't hold.

I'm always a bit miffed at these rigid positions, though I get your perspective. Syracuse University is such a major asset to this region, a region that let's face it, if it wasn't for SU, it would be Utica, and the likes. The University is its area top employer, and by a substantial amount. The Dome holds high school football events, other local events as in concerts, etc., they just had a Monster Truck event there. The region clearly benefits, not just the university, it's a win-win imo. The one of a kind, on-campus thing should be embraced, not frowned upon. So there's some inconvenience, but it's what separates SU from everyone else, and that can/should be marketed/promoted to the hilt as the unique commodity that it is...as nothing of its kind anywhere in the country!

SU, or county/state funding for that matter, isn't ever going to dump an exorbitant amount of coin for an off campus facility, certainly not the amount of $$$ to make it state of the art, etc. with all the frills you find in today's new stadiums. So, that being the case, nothing would stand out about it, or set it apart uniquely, as the Dome & its renovated potential & being on campus does. Renovating it to the level that most would deem more than acceptable from a fan experience standpoint, along with functional (fixed roof, etc.) and aesthetically pleasing improvements, and promoting it as one of kind...will awaken this sleeping gem.

This is very interesting to me. I don't remember the exact number in the 2nd level but there is a mix of A preferred, B preferred, and C preferred. The LARGE chunk of money (95%) that comes from courtside is technically a donation.

Boxes in the 2nd level always made sense to me though. I've always said Club 44 would have been better right up against the top of the 1st level (just tough to have done that + WC seating)

Will be interesting to see it moving forward.

Donations for these things will no longer be deductible, as I understand the new tax law, so I would expect this type of donation to decrease substantially. Buying these kind of seats and boxes will be less desirable moving forward, and frankly this tax deduction is not very egalitarian because it is only available to the very wealthy.

Donations for these things will no longer be deductible, as I understand the new tax law, so I would expect this type of donation to decrease substantially. Buying these kind of seats and boxes will be less desirable moving forward, and frankly this tax deduction is not very egalitarian because it is only available to the very wealthy.

Donations are still tax-deductible, but the standard deduction changed as such that it may no longer make sense for a lot of people to itemize, thereby removing some incentive for charitable giving.

How the tax law changes charitable contributions - Chicago Tribune

Donations are still tax-deductible, but the standard deduction changed as such that it may no longer make sense for a lot of people to itemize, thereby removing some incentive for charitable giving.

How the tax law changes charitable contributions - Chicago Tribune

Okay, I am no tax expert, but effectively amounts to the same thing for most people. The very wealthy may be the exception. For me my donations never got to where I could deduct them anyway. No impact for me directly.

All of the alumni I know including myself want the stadium still on campus. They come to the dome not only to see a game, but to see campus. I do not see this changing unless they want to go directly against their current and future donor base. I don’t know a lot of alums and students who are here to see other parts of Syracuse.

Okay, I am no tax expert, but effectively amounts to the same thing for most people. The very wealthy may be the exception. For me my donations never got to where I could deduct them anyway. No impact for me directly.

You were right in the first place.

Donations to the university are still tax deductible, provided they are just charitable donations. What changed under the new tax law is that personal seat licenses are no longer considered charitable donations, so they’re no longer deductible.

Here’s an article I just pulled from google, which oddly enough uses Syracuse as an example:

New Tax Code Eliminates Collegiate Seat License Fees As Charitable Contribution - The Sports Column | Sports Articles, Analysis, News and Media

You were right in the first place.

Donations to the university are still tax deductible, provided they are just charitable donations. What changed under the new tax law is that personal seat licenses are no longer considered charitable donations, so they’re no longer deductible.

Here’s an article I just pulled from google, which oddly enough uses Syracuse as an example:

New Tax Code Eliminates Collegiate Seat License Fees As Charitable Contribution - The Sports Column | Sports Articles, Analysis, News and Media

Thanks, its good to be right.

Thanks, its good to be right.

Sorry, I didn't see that you had quoted a post about preferred seating and that no longer being tax deductible. That is true and definitely not a good thing for SU, or any school, really. Will be interesting to see how the accountants try to work around that.

All of the alumni I know including myself want the stadium still on campus. They come to the dome not only to see a game, but to see campus. I do not see this changing unless they want to go directly against their current and future donor base. I don’t know a lot of alums and students who are here to see other parts of Syracuse.

South campus is still campus.

The alums and students do a great job filling up the building. And obviously they are donating hand over fist to support the efforts to keep the stadium where it is.

The alums and students do a great job filling up the building. And obviously they are donating hand over fist to support the efforts to keep the stadium where it is.

The chance for the state government to fund a stadium came and went.

Status
Not open for further replies.