"The Dome roof" | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not sure about that. carrier may look at the dome, and syracuse in general, as a low impact investment at best. their money may be better spent else where. to those outside of syracuse ny, the dome means very little. folks IN syracuse believe it means more than it really does.
the success of our teams in the dome , may make the dome mean something. until we win, and win consistently, the dome, in its present form, has nothing to add .

While I understand your point, I respectfully disagree. Whenever a game is played in the Dome, the announcers state "Carrier Dome" and every viewer on TV knows EXACTLY what is meant. The name Carrier is synonymous with the Dome.

I have lived in many places around the country and every CFB, or MBB or Lacrosse fan knows the Dome. When I tell others I am an Orange fan, they bring up the Carrier Dome. The Dome means a lot to people. Fans from many schools recall the issues of playing in the Dome, the noise in a hoops game, having to use hand signals for football because you cannot hear yourself think, the fast track, etc.

Tom is right, the two parties are honorable and will work out a deal.

Carrier isn't going to sell its right to the name. They want to continue to have their name on the new facility.

The naming gift was a huge success for the university and a huge success for Carrier. It was a big win for both parties. Both want to continue to work together long term. Carrier is going to make a major investment to help make the new facility possible and get the same great visibility and name recognition they have enjoyed from the existing facility from day one.

Both sides are honorable. Both sides are working together to continue as partners for the long haul.

I am disappointed that Carrier moved their manufacturing facilities out of CNY but they still have an important presence in the area, they continue to have a strong connection to Syracuse University and some of its engineering programs and they want to continue this.

It is a good thing.
Carrier can move their major facilities from CNY leaving thousands without jobs but SU has to keep their name on a building that through major renovations no longer is the same building that warranted the name in the first place. I agree the ideal situation is for Carrier and SU to sit down for a mutually agreeable solution. I doubt the agreement's detailed wording addresses movement, renovations or what a lifetime naming agreement really means. Reasonable people can disagree. What determines a lifetime of a building that gets drastically changed or significantly torn down? I don't know. But SU nor Carrier will give away significant funds in the name of just being nice. Corporate Negotiations can be hard and nasty and to keep it out of the public and the courtrooms both sides will ultimately decide what that number will be to stay or to go with another naming rights solution. No matter what it will be mutually agreed upon whatever the solution.

Hahaha God you're unpleasant! Hopefully you save all that unpleasantness up for this board.

And your “Blazing Saddles” jab was what? Just having fun?

Take a closer look at my avatar, old Al and I are more similar than different.

For those curious what any redesign may look like, pay close attention to this sentence from todays Daily Orange:

A large chunk of Syracuse’s ticket revenue comes not from the tens of thousands of fans sitting across the Carrier Dome, but rather from a select array of seats alongside the court.

The desire to include more VIP seating/lounges, at the expense of general admission seats will absolutely be a part of any new development. I imagine total capacity will shrink as much as 8k. I think those concerned about spacing with seat backs will hopefully be pleased as a result.

Courtside seats offer glamour, sweat and about $2 million in annual revenue

For those curious what any redesign may look like, pay close attention to this sentence from todays Daily Orange:

A large chunk of Syracuse’s ticket revenue comes not from the tens of thousands of fans sitting across the Carrier Dome, but rather from a select array of seats alongside the court.

The desire to include more VIP seating/lounges, at the expense of general admission seats will absolutely be a part of any new development. I imagine total capacity will shrink as much as 8k. I think those concerned about spacing with seat backs will hopefully be pleased as a result.

Agree more boxes are inevitable. I bet the whole second level in the end zones is lost them.

petersen_100_IMG_20151128_170451.jpg

I hope they don't end up doing the court/field level boxes like they have at the Pete. It looks bad. Really bad.

Agree more boxes are inevitable. I bet the whole second level in the end zones is lost them.

I hope they don't end up doing the court/field level boxes like they have at the Pete. It looks bad. Really bad.
Those look like dungeons. Not even sure they could see the full arc of Ennis' buzzer beater. ;)

Last edited:

That's a bad look. Have no problem with capacity reduction in exchange for 2nd level boxes. Did not realize demand for boxes was high - so that's good.

And your “Blazing Saddles” jab was what? Just having fun?

Take a closer look at my avatar, old Al and I are more similar than different.
Townie, since you brought it up, who is your avatar? :confused:

I don’t know. I don’t mind those floor loges. I think it is pretty unique and it looks good in person. I’ve been to two Syracuse games at the PEC. Just an awesome smaller arena as anyone who has actually been there will surely admit. It’s hard to say for sure but I think they are elevated slightly from the floor/court level. I think Jerry’s World has some field level loges/boxes too.

What I do want to see is all that space in the Dome behind the courtside seats to in front of the bleachers to somehow be used up or minimized. It looks so freaking terrible and tacky. I know there are fire/safety regulations in place to warrant all that space but maybe somehow in the renovation that can be fixed and addressed.

Last edited:
Townie, since you brought it up, who is your avatar? :confused:
From the HBO tv series “Deadwood”, Al Swearengen was the owner of the principal saloon and whorehouse. He was a much more grizzled and profane version of the evil saloon owner that was in almost every cowboy movie made prior to the 1960’s.

“Deadwood” was on for several seasons, but to enjoy it to the max you must start with Episode 1, Season 1.

Al mellows a little through the seasons changing slightly from pure evil to mostly evil. He’s tough because these are tough times and a tough place.

One of the better series ever made. Not the Sopranos or The Wire, but in the next tier.

In Maryland’s revamp of Byrd Stadium a number of new boxes were added. Demand for them never materialized and they have been a tough sell for the University.

You need a bunch of very well-heeled alumni or businesses that do a lot of client entertainment to make them work.

In Maryland’s revamp of Byrd Stadium a number of new boxes were added. Demand for them never materialized and they have been a tough sell for the University.

You need a bunch of very well-heeled alumni or businesses that do a lot of client entertainment to make them work.
Carrier should get a box. They can spend some of that $18-$20M they got in free advertising schmoozing foreign executives. ;)

Good plan.

Carrier’s major customers are the specifiers and contractors on major construction projects and retrofits.

Bringing these customers to Syracuse NY in the middle of Winter so they can watch two teams they probably don’t care about play is certainly a novel approach.

“Bunker boxes” were in an early plan.

Carrier should get a box. They can spend some of that $18-$20M they got in free advertising schmoozing foreign executives. ;)
It’s done all the time...all seasons.

I will guarantee you the prime basketball seats on the 2nd level will be replaced by luxury boxes/suites. It will make for a lot of unhappy season ticket holders for basketball and football (especially basketball since there is no where for them to go except the 3rd level).

Actually, from a legal standpoint, this would be an interesting case to play out as there would appear to be more layers than one here. Besides the "substantial" argument and what may constitute that legally (though it's unclear if that's the primary matter of significance in play) I think the larger issue that may apply here is intent. Courts have viewed and ruled intent as a primary deciding factor when determining or making various rulings. Since it appears that Carrier's intent was not based upon increasing brand/marketing exposure, profiting, etc. (the true essence of "naming rights" today) it would be interesting to see a court's ruling. Any ambiguity in the contract language generally is ruled against the party who drafted the contract, not granting them the benefit of the doubt.
Interesting point re intent.

All of our contracts have a clause agreeing not to use the rule of construction resolving ambiguities against the drafting party. I imagine that type of clause might be in this one as well. Wonder who drafted the agreement.

Good plan.

Carrier’s major customers are the specifiers and contractors on major construction projects and retrofits.

Bringing these customers to Syracuse NY in the middle of Winter so they can watch two teams they probably don’t care about play is certainly a novel approach.
Really? Funny they feel that way because their name is still on the building up here in the Tundra and the benefits of their “deal” with the University are still flowing in despite the frigid temperatures (record 75 yesterday). But I could certainly understand if they preferred something a little more third-world-equatorial like, say ... Monterey, Mexico. Oh hey, what a coincidence ... that’s where they sent most of the local jobs, isn’t it? ;)

Last edited:
Like at the Pete or like what MSG did?

Event Level Suites | MSG

These suites are on court level, but underneath the seating. You get your own private seating section while also having access to a private suite.
I like the MSG approach a lot more. The suite placement in Petersen looks horrible and those suites have to lessen the home court advantage.

I like the MSG approach a lot more. The suite placement in Petersen looks horrible and those suites have to lessen the home court advantage.
I was in a financial posistion to have a suite, I’d want it higher. Pay all that money to look at the back of people’s heads?

I was in a financial posistion to have a suite, I’d want it higher. Pay all that money to look at the back of people’s heads?
Agree. If field level suites make sense, it would be more for football, where you could be really close to the action. I think they would have to lower the field to make it work well. That might help sight lines and seat quality for basketball too, and could add more close range seats, which would help address the problems introduced eliminating the seats held by season ticket holders on the 2nd level for basketball.

Pretty sure they are looking at the possibility of adding private suites up above the 3rd level seats. That wouldn’t affect existing seats and would give very nice views for football and basketball. Much better than the rooftop suites at MSG for example. Because they are up high, you could fit a lot more up there than down near the field. If the surveys indicate there is sufficient interest, that would be pretty cool.

Interesting point re intent.

All of our contracts have a clause agreeing not to use the rule of construction resolving ambiguities against the drafting party. I imagine that type of clause might be in this one as well. Wonder who drafted the agreement.
Does that even stand up? If its an adhesion contract, I find it incongruous that you can have such a clause that saves you from yourself.

Agree. If field level suites make sense, it would be more for football, where you could be really close to the action. I think they would have to lower the field to make it work well. That might help sight lines and seat quality for basketball too, and could add more close range seats, which would help address the problems introduced eliminating the seats held by season ticket holders on the 2nd level for basketball.

Pretty sure they are looking at the possibility of adding private suites up above the 3rd level seats. That wouldn’t affect existing seats and would give very nice views for football and basketball. Much better than the rooftop suites at MSG for example. Because they are up high, you could fit a lot more up there than down near the field. If the surveys indicate there is sufficient interest, that would be pretty cool.
Vanity knows no bounds. Who would have thought the court side seats would be such a big seller?

This is very interesting to me. I don't remember the exact number in the 2nd level but there is a mix of A preferred, B preferred, and C preferred. The LARGE chunk of money (95%) that comes from courtside is technically a donation.

Boxes in the 2nd level always made sense to me though. I've always said Club 44 would have been better right up against the top of the 1st level (just tough to have done that + WC seating)

Will be interesting to see it moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.