The dome... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The dome...

Used for what? A couple concerts? Maybe, but there are tons of other outdoor concert venues that fit most acts just fine.
I agree that the retractable roof is not necessary. However, because the retractable nature of the roof is only 5% of the cost (based on the Vikings' new dome costs) in a new stadium, I still would like to see it. That said, even the Vikings chose not to do it for cost reasons.

The only way a retractable roof facility makes sense is a multi tenant facility at the inner harbor that would be booked extensively in late spring through mid fall.

It would have to be configurable so that you have it be a 45K stadium or a 25k arena. There are multiple facilities like that in Europe.

Use it to replace the Dome and War Memorial.

Why does the university keep saying an off-site stadium is one of the 3 options if they are "not in favor" of it? why not just take it off the table entirely?

Leverage.

Why remove an option who's mere existence might help goose funding for the option you really want? Competition and all.

Personally I want our teams to play on campus, right where the Dome is. Someone could convince me on the viability of South Campus, but I'm not down with a facility being far from the Hill. Seems like the money needed to replace the roof, renovate the interior and build out an addition wouldn't be impossible to fund. Honestly, I'd like to see them put some money towards building a couple of massive parking garages where surface lots exist today. That'd probably do as much to improve people's perception of the gameday experience that cup holders.

Chancy Nancy liked the idea. Others did not. Either the reporter or Mahoney is using a very loose interpretation of "informally agreed."
So when the current chancellor says one of the 3 options is an off-site stadium and when Mahoney is said to have stated there was an informal agreement on SU as a tenant in the original proposal...that's all pure fiction.

So when the current chancellor says one of the 3 options is an off-site stadium and when Mahoney is said to have stated there was an informal agreement on SU as a tenant in the original proposal...that's all pure fiction.

What is an "informal agreement"?

Is that like when I tell my wife I'll do the dishes?

Yeah, an off-campus stadium is an option. It's an option that's been dismissed, but it could be said that it's an option.

I don't know what Mahoney (or, don't forget, the local reporter) meant by "informal agreement." Chancy Nancy liked the idea of some midtown stadium construction, creating synergy among her Connective Corridor, Upstate's new campus, Hawley-Green, and downtown. (I hate the idea but saw where she's coming from.)

Kent and other decision-makers do not like the idea. It was dead in the water once he weighed in against it. I doubt SU and the county had an informal agreement other than "Nancy likes this idea and isn't opposed to our pitching the governor on contributing funding to its construction."

Yeah, an off-campus stadium is an option. It's an option that's been dismissed, but it could be said that it's an option.

I don't know what Mahoney (or, don't forget, the local reporter) meant by "informal agreement." Chancy Nancy liked the idea of some midtown stadium construction, creating synergy among her Connective Corridor, Upstate's new campus, Hawley-Green, and downtown. (I hate the idea but saw where she's coming from.)

Kent and other decision-makers do not like the idea. It was dead in the water once he weighed in against it. I doubt SU and the county had an informal agreement other than "Nancy likes this idea and isn't opposed to our pitching the governor on contributing funding to its construction."
Nancy effectively left at the end of Oct. 2013 so you are saying that in January of 2014 with Cantor gone and Syverud officially chancellor, Mahoney was still referring to Cantor as "the chancellor".

Last edited:
That is contradictory to the recent article that stated:
SU is still weighing three options for Carrier Dome improvements:
  • replacing the air-inflated roof pretty much as it is
  • building an off-site sports arena

• replacing the inflatable roof with one that isn't.
replaced third bullet with recent revision

Last edited:
Turf in dome and the fields around Manley were all done in the first year after Gross became AD. how long has that been?

Update and correction: Syracuse University officials said this morning that while all roof options are being considered, the focus of dome renovation plans has been on a fixed roof, not on a retractable roof. A syracuse.com reporter misunderstood information provided Monday by Chancellor Kent Syverud.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._for_retractable_roof_by_end_of_semester.html
I'm starting to wonder how often reporters (and others) have "misunderstood". Or, if there is a deliberate use of misinformation occasionally.

The quote in the paper today isn't that he opposed to the idea, it's that the school doesn't have the funding.

Nancy effectively left at the end of Oct. 2013 so you are saying that in January of 2014 with Cantor gone and Syverud officially chancellor, Mahoney was still referring to Cantor as "the chancellor".

No, I'm not saying that. It should be clear that I didn't say it or imply it.

Like any politician - he will most likely just decide to "kick the can" down the road to the next chancellor and simply decide to replace the roof. A clear plastic to the sky would help though, even if only placed in the middle.

I do hope they install new "instant on" LED lighting so they could at least darken the dome prior to the football players coming out and do some kind of "light show" :cool: to spruce up the start of the game. Maybe more fans would be in seats to see a different light show for each game (maybe asking SUAD to do this would be too much to ask).

Having Katy Perry at halftime would help attendance too :D

I'm starting to wonder how often reporters (and others) have "misunderstood". Or, if there is a deliberate use of misinformation occasionally.

Often. A lot of these people are really bad at what they do.

The quote in the paper today isn't that he opposed to the idea, it's that the school doesn't have the funding.

That's fine. I'm saying that that's not the case.

That's fine. I'm saying that that's not the case.
Having the funds and being willing to spend those funds for a certain item, are two different things.

Having the funds and being willing to spend those funds for a certain item, are two different things.

That's true. My post was vague; my contradiction referred to the claim that the chancellor isn't opposed to building a new stadium away from campus. He is opposed to that. Also, SU doesn't have the necessary funds and isn't willing to spend that sum on a new stadium.

Right, the only stadiums where retractable roofs make sense somewhat are baseball stadiums, just due to the usage volume. We play 6-7 home games a year in football, and at least half of those games, the weather is complete crap. So we're gonna throw a retractable roof on the stadium so that we can use it, what, maybe 25-30 times in a decade? Waste of money and effort.
Concerts, Lacrosse, Softball too...I just want to see the costs first.

BTW, if SU have Dolgon running the program...I'd imagine he would open the Dome in November for the largest outdoor hoops game.

nice job syracuse.com

6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom