The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

That's why I wish he would announce his retirement soon and SU would say they're conducting a true national search. That could get me to go up to Syracuse for a game to pay my respects.
We could be “searching” now, gauging interest through back channels.

We seem to have people in a few boats.

1. JB has earned the right to a graceful exit and should name his successor. (I was kind of here for a long time, but now obviously not. This group seems to be losing members though)

2. JB needs to go but Syracuse isn't an attractive destination for top coaches. Some of these guys were in this group 4+ years ago, before things got "bad."

3. JB needs to go but Syracuse is an attractive job with a ton of resources and will have a pick of great coaches.

I'm probably at 2.5. Used to think we'd have a line of coaches circling the Dome coach here. At this point I don't know. But we still have some huge advantages that no one else in the country has, and if anything, JB's failures the last several years have probably made the job more attractive to a big name. People don't like following legends who go out on top. Maybe they wont mind following a legend whose best days are long behind.
He eschewed the graceful exit to assuage his ego.

He couches every statement. None of it is stated as fact.
There were some things that were qualified, and other things that were not remotely factually accurate.

Agreed to disagree.

There is zero reason why we can't pay what Duke plays. Zero. Jon Scheyer contract is more than double the amount of Oats and Musselman's contract.
I believe that the entire Duke roster is filled with scholarships which have been individually endowed. That money doesn’t come out of the athletic budget. That’s about $1M per year extra they have to spend.

Tons:

Coaches Retirement/His interview the other day-
Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

• JB felling pressure from fans?
  • Implying that there's a succession plan in place
  • That Wild hack pressured JB to make a statement
  • That Red is the guy
  • That summer is when JB would call it
I don't shoot messengers, but there's tons of speculative content being presented as fact, even giving degrees of freedom for things being fluid.

Lots of opinions being presented as factual.

He couches every statement. None of it is stated as fact.
He was passing along information he was told, from someone who was in a position to hear things.

I don't think he stated anything as facts, just what he was told.
1669857049787.gif

We’re looking at an horrific season, and I just get the feeling that there’s gonna be mid -season personnel stunner. Someone is gonna leave or get kicked off or something. I can just feel it. There’s just the feeling of impending doom.
Not to tangent from the thread but I have that same feeling about our guys. They didn't come to Syracuse to lose. You already see some frustration. Have we ever had guys kicked out in two straight games. I'm sure the assistant coaches are frustrated as well. Heck, JAB must be very frustrated and even if he won't admit it, might be seriously thinking of an exit strategy for the first time.

Sort of agree. But the game has changed. It’s no longer about getting the best HS talent.

You cherry pick HS kids, $$ your best non-draftable talent that could be poached and get immediate fixes in the portal.
And you know who really seems to be doing this well? Jared Grasso

I share the sentiment that the season is headed for impeding doom (impeding 'dome')? But the idea that JB somehow gives up the reigns before this season is over is borderline impossible to me.

If the guy has been this stubborn to hand over the keys to this point, he sure as hell isn't giving up halfway through the year. It will be his last, but he'll see it through to the end, as ugly as it will get. And it will get ugly.

It's time to clean house, fellas. After this season we need a new HC and staff. We need a proven winner - either at the high mid-major level or a P5 program. Open the wallet. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. If the new hire is a very good coach then you'll get the money back by putting derrieres in those 30K seats not to mention the other sources of revenue that are likely to grow. If they go the keep it in the family route I'll be sick to my stomach. And while we owe JB a debt of gratitude for his service he should have little to no input into the decision.

The more I think about this, it’s entirely possible that after the December 10 ring of honor ceremony with Pearl, he becomes so emotional that he breaks down crying with his family by his side and announces that “he’s done” and will be retiring immediately. Red will be taking over to coach the rest of the season. To me after watching coach for almost 50 years, this would be his signature way to walk away.

1669859658536.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan Hurley (I kid)

Ed Cooley is proven, but can he really recruit?

I like the idea of Boyton. I think in this transfer portal age, you can get a pretty quick turn around I think if your HC knows what’s he’s doing

With all of the various threads created after last night's horrific loss to Illinois, and all of the negative media attention lets talk about the elephant in the room. If the decision was yours:

1. When would you announce JB's departure from the program? Mid-season, end of the season, or do you give him one more season.

My answer: Announce his resignation mid-season and have Red/Gmac act as interim head coach. This gives Red/Gmac a few months to audition. The current players would probably stay since it's midseason. With the right hire in place, maybe some of them decide to stay. It gives the players some time to think about the situation/hire instead of being forced into a hurried decision regarding transfer.

2. Who would you pick as JB's successor?

My answer: I would hire outside of the program, except for perhaps Jason Hart. As for outside candidates, I want to someone young, not Pitino. I'll throw some names out there I'd at least call for an interview: Drew Valentine (Loyola-Chicago), Niko Medved (Colorado St), Matt Langel (Colgate), Mike Boynton (Ok State) or maybe even Isaac Brown (Wichita St). All are younger guys who in my opinion have proven more than Red or Gmac, and would inject some life into the program. Hopkins hasn't done enough at Washington to intrigue me anymore.
I think it would be unfair to use a Red/GMac mid-year “interim“ succession as a test or audition. They‘d be stuck with the current roster, the current system, and a team already beaten down and weary and heading into an even more difficult schedule.

You only do a mid season change if you‘ve already decided on one of them. And you’re going to give them time.

I think JB retires at the end of the season. He may have believed he had one or two more, but this is going so badly that the ’plan’ may have been accelerated, either by JB himself or JW.

JB has ego/pride, but as much as he’d want to be defiant and reject the noise and the criticisms of the diminutive, that same ego and pride is being eroded by time and facts. How much does it hurt him to lose more than he wins… in multiple seasons? He might believe our age and inexperience will turn around with time, but if he weathers the season, how many will he lose to transfers out, because of playing time, recognition that he’s not operating at HoF levels, and general dissatisfaction with our results. Then, he’d have to reload, from the portal which requires effort and salesmanship. And we don’t have much to sell.

Barring a complete 180 by the team in development—possible—I think he ends it after this season, with a nice compensation package, and learns to tie fishing flies. Maybe he spends the other half of his time traveling with the ever lovely Juli to Buddy and Jr’s pro games. That sounds like a hell of a deal.

This is it, though. As much as I’ve not been a JB fan, I still have enough respect for the accomplishments that if he doesn‘t do another year, I can get over the past handful. But, if he is allowed 23-24, I’m gonna be super pissed, and sentiments move into the ‘irrevocable’ stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom