The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

You keep saying that but the SEC coaches currently aren't making a ton more money than ACC coaches. Musselman makes 4 mil and Oats makes below that. I have no reason to believe that we couldn't offer them in the 4-6 million dollar range. Like if we aren't willing to pay that much then we shouldn't be considered a national power anymore.

Outside of Kentucky I don't think of any other SEC program than can offer a coach more than what we can if I am being honest assuming we are willing to pay 4-6 million per. Facailities solid. Fan Support unmatched. National Brand Check. I understand where you are coming from because SEC media contracts but most of that goes to football. I am not sure the basketball programs outside of Kentucky has a blank check like the football program.
I’m not talking about coaches base salaries…

I’m not talking about coaches base salaries…
Football rules the NIL game. At big football schools, Basketball gets a fraction of what Football gets…

Football rules the NIL game. At big football schools, Basketball gets a fraction of what Football gets…
What did Tenn pay to get our guy?

I feel like you're overselling the difficulty of recruiting down there and OK State's recruiting has arguably declined since Boynton took over. He certainly has competition with Oklahoma and the Texas schools and stuff to deal with but it'll be the same deal recruiting here IMO. Maybe he'd be able to step it up at Syracuse but I don't think that's really something we can take to the bank.

I say this as someone that's pretty interested in him as the potential next coach; just don't think he's a slam dunk by any means.
It won’t be the same deal because most of his connections are NY/New England

To be fair, it was a "mutual parting" as Cade's brother just signed on to be Cade's manager instead. He may have wanted to leave.
Curious in todays NIL landscape, how any of these family member staff plays to funnel money to kids will be used

Plus who from New York City would want to spend their life in Oklahoma? That's a very different culture that doesn't seem to mix.

Right after he got there he ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and he got egg noodles and ketchup...

I'm not particularly impressed by Boynton.

I'm not either. The deal with Oklahoma State they have one of the most well funded athletic departments out there, T. Boone Pickens estate oil money...was/is their biggest donor for years etc.

We want whoever the basketball equivalent to Deion Sanders is.
Someone exciting, full of energy, and can recruit like nobody’s business. Basically the exact opposite of what we have now. But also realistic.

Jason Hart and Mike Hopkins comes to mind.

Yet they STILL have way more money for basketball.

Ignore the SEC rise in hoops at your own peril. Its a different world now. SEC dollars>ACC dollars and that includes basketball too. And is only going to get worse.

Yet they STILL have way more money for basketball.

Ignore the SEC rise in hoops at your own peril. Its a different world now. SEC dollars>ACC dollars and that includes basketball too. And is only going to get worse.

High major college athletics has lapsed into professional sports -- only with unrestricted / unregulated free agency, and no salary cap to level the playing field.

Per usual, the NCAA completely botched this.

There is zero chance Oats will even be contacted

It's the funniest thing on this board for last couple years. We aren't getting Nate Oats, for a myriad of reasons.

High major college athletics has lapsed into professional sports -- only with unrestricted / unregulated free agency, with no salary cap.

Per usual, the NCAA completely botched this.
Yes, it sucks. 10 years, if you arent in the Big10 or SEC, you are nothing in both major sports.

It's the funniest thing on this board for last couple years. We aren't getting Nate Oats, for a myriad of reasons.
So many Nate Oats insiders on this board. How lucky are we?

Well, you can't, so...

;)
It will always be the carrier dome for me. Just like the concert venue I go to in Mass is Great woods, and not the Tweeter center or now the Xfinity center

Yes, it sucks. 10 years, if you arent in the Big10 or SEC, you are nothing in both major sports.

The SEC has always cheated, now they're just free to do it out in the open. Sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom