The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

I feel like you're overselling the difficulty of recruiting down there and OK State's recruiting has arguably declined since Boynton took over. He certainly has competition with Oklahoma and the Texas schools and stuff to deal with but it'll be the same deal recruiting here IMO. Maybe he'd be able to step it up at Syracuse but I don't think that's really something we can take to the bank.

I say this as someone that's pretty interested in him as the potential next coach; just don't think he's a slam dunk by any means.
Oklahoma State is famously one of the most difficult P5 programs to recruit to in the country. That’s a widely held view. Ask any college basketball expert. They don’t have much talent right in their backyard and it’s hard to get to Stillwater. it’s off the beaten path and they’re little brother to state flagship Oklahoma. Brad Underwood bolted at the first opportunity he could (Illinois).

I'm not either. The deal with Oklahoma State they have one of the most well funded athletic departments out there, T. Boone Pickens estate oil money...was/is their biggest donor for years etc.
Most of it goes to football.

Yet they STILL have way more money for basketball.

Ignore the SEC rise in hoops at your own peril. Its a different world now. SEC dollars>ACC dollars and that includes basketball too. And is only going to get worse.
This is vastly overstated, at least in terms of basketball. If Gonzaga (lol) and UConn and Nova can compete with the big boys, Syracuse certainly can. I know JB’s steering of the program into the ditch has people depressed, but come on.

I'm not either. The deal with Oklahoma State they have one of the most well funded athletic departments out there, T. Boone Pickens estate oil money...was/is their biggest donor for years etc.
And with Boynton they've yet to finish higher than 5th in the Big 12 (which, to be fair, is stacked every year). He's a good defensive coach but that's about it.

In my mind there is no doubt this will be Boheim's last year coaching. There are three very important clues. Number one, he did not recruit anybody for this year's class because he could not commit to coaching them the next year. Number two, the Pearl Washington ceremony is a farewell tour kind of thing to do. And lastly announcing the retirement of Gerry McNamara's Jersey, this sets the stage for GMAC being announced next head coach, probably right after the conclusion of this season

In my mind there is no doubt this will be Boheim's last year coaching. There are three very important clues. Number one, he did not recruit anybody for this year's class because he could not commit to coaching them the next year. Number two, the Pearl Washington ceremony is a farewell tour kind of thing to do. And lastly announcing the retirement of Gerry McNamara's Jersey, this sets the stage for GMAC being announced next head coach, probably right after the conclusion of this season
I was with you the whole time until the last sentence. God I don’t want that to happen

I was with you the whole time until the last sentence. God I don’t want that to happen
Please don’t turn this into another GMAC hate thread.Im so sick of you guys.

If we couldn't sign anyone for 2023-24 due to JB couldn't commit that he would be here to coach them...wouldn't a recruit ask "so if coach Boeheim can't commit to be here in 2023, who will be here?" What would they say to the recruit?

(A) we don't know.
(B) there is a plan in place, an ironclad plan in fact, but we can't tell you what that is.
(C) the next coach has been decided and I will reveal that to you if you and everyone in this room sign this NDA.
(D) coach may be coaching in 2023, we just don't know for sure 100%.
(E) it will be coach Jay Wright with his assistants Pat Riley, Steve Kerr and Rick Pitino.
(F) it will be someone from the orange family.

I dunno.
Agreed on Number One.
re: the Ring ceremony—seems like something that would be more impactful if you bring him back after he has retired, and you don’t diffuse the honor with another player.
And I hope the GMac jersey retirement is entirely unrelated to the coaching succession. It’s like saying GMac had more points than Red so he’ll be a better coach, despite the tenure/experience disparity.

I’ve never seen a GMac Hate thread.
No one hates GMac. No one.

You gots t’chill.
Hate,despise,detest the thought of him as the next coach and he’s done nothing to deserve it. Nothing.

Hate,despise,detest the thought of him as the next coach and he’s done nothing to deserve it. Nothing.
I kind of agree and Hopkins is my first choice. But there's definitely some "not Gerry" sentiment that I don't understand for a loyal Syracuse guy who has always represented the program well.

I kind of agree and Hopkins is my first choice. But there's definitely some "not Gerry" sentiment that I don't understand for a loyal Syracuse guy who has always represented the program well.
He seems, to me, a bit milquetoast. Maybe he would be more impassioned publicly if his role was different.
Just my opinion, but by-passing the African American associate head coach who has more time on staff is a bad optic. (I think SU has shown that race isn’t a factor in sports hiring, but someone will jump on that bandwagon, to be sure.)

Oklahoma State is famously one of the most difficult P5 programs to recruit to in the country. That’s a widely held view. Ask any college basketball expert. They don’t have much talent right in their backyard and it’s hard to get to Stillwater. it’s off the beaten path and they’re little brother to state flagship Oklahoma. Brad Underwood bolted at the first opportunity he could (Illinois).
Underwood could be a guy to make a run at as well.

That’s an odd perspective.
He’s done nothing to deserve fans not wanting him to be the next head coach?
He’s also done nothing to deserve being the coach. We can love him an a player and alum, and even respect what he’s done as an assistant, and we can “hate” the idea of giving him the HC position, because we’re adults and can parse and reconcile reasonable, rational opinions.

I also hate the idea of me being the next coach. So what.

That’s an odd perspective.
He’s done nothing to deserve fans not wanting him to be the next head coach?
He’s also done nothing to deserve being the coach. We can love him an a player and alum, and even respect what he’s done as an assistant, and we can “hate” the idea of giving him the HC position, because we’re adults and can parse and reconcile reasonable, rational opinions.

I also hate the idea of me being the next coach. So what.
Well, at least I agree with your last sentence.

But what exactly has he done to deserve to be named the next head coach? That’s the only question I have. I don’t hate gmac. Just don’t understand why he’s considered over the other more experienced coaches on our bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom