The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

It’s the known vs unknown. Plus people are tired of the zone
I get that’s why. I just figured it deserved a call out. In that scenario I’d go with the known every time. At least Mike knows where our skeletons are buried.

I think the Hurley hate here is weird. He's a bit of a clown but the guy can recruit. Cooley seems like a great guy, but he's 3-6 all time in the NCAA. Two of those NCAA wins were last year.
That’s two more wins in the tourney than Hurley has had at UConn.

If UConn fades and Hurley somehow doesn’t win a tournament game this year would UConn keep him?

One of the best. He got Cade to OSU
This feels like an exaggeration. Across 6 recruiting classes, he's landed two top 100 guys. One of which being Cade because he hired his brother to be an assistant for a year. And the team with Cade kinda sucked; not as badly as we've been in recent years by any means but that team was a major disappointment considering they had what was at the time considered one of the best NBA prospects to come around in awhile.

He got his brother on staff to get Cade to come then dumped him once Cade went to NBA.
To be fair, it was a "mutual parting" as Cade's brother just signed on to be Cade's manager instead. He may have wanted to leave.

I don’t understand the Boynton love. Just because he’s from New York?
Only one guy he has recruited got drafted to the NBA. His teams have been average to bad at times. He only went to second round with Cade Cunningham. And he only signed him because he hired his brother.
Not to mention he already has a postseason ban under his belt from FBI investigations.

I say stay far far away from Boynton. I’d take Mike Hopkins any day of the week over him.
I don’t think there’s any way we don’t approach Hop first. All the former players and people associated with the program are gonna advocate for him. If Hop says no, then you get to guys like Boynton.

Mike would kill it in NYC. It’s nearly impossible to get guys to OSU and he uses any means necessary. He needs polish as an in game coach but everyone does on the big stage.
I feel like you're overselling the difficulty of recruiting down there and OK State's recruiting has arguably declined since Boynton took over. He certainly has competition with Oklahoma and the Texas schools and stuff to deal with but it'll be the same deal recruiting here IMO. Maybe he'd be able to step it up at Syracuse but I don't think that's really something we can take to the bank.

I say this as someone that's pretty interested in him as the potential next coach; just don't think he's a slam dunk by any means.

I don’t think there’s any way we don’t approach Hop first. All the former players and people associated with the program are gonna advocate for him. If Hop says no, then you get to guys like Boynton.

yeah, because when you have the chance to hire a guy who went 37 & 53 the past 3 seasons, and has been to the NCAA's just once in 5 years -

you just have to do it!! who says NO to that??!! :rolleyes:

(OK, so he's 6 & 1 so far this year. whatevs.)

I would love to have Hop back. His roots in Syracuse run deep. His recruiting pipelines could open right back up.
I would skip Boynton. He’s just not a good coach or recruiter. Absolutely no reason to hire him.

I mean in all reality we are probably selling ourselves very short. I bet we could snag a higher tier coach. We have everything a coach could need to be successful immediately. All the amenities, history, alumni, and great fans.
No reason why we couldn’t get an Oats or Musselman type.

I don’t understand the Boynton love. Just because he’s from New York?
Only one guy he has recruited got drafted to the NBA. His teams have been average to bad at times. He only went to second round with Cade Cunningham. And he only signed him because he hired his brother.
Not to mention he already has a postseason ban under his belt from FBI investigations.

I say stay far far away from Boynton. I’d take Mike Hopkins any day of the week over him.
I think the postseason ban was for his predecessor's (Underwood at Illinois) transgressions.

Interestingly enough Hop and Boynton have nearly identical records at OSU and Washington yet people here are higher on Boynton.

I want to know who is on the list of "they will at least tell their agent to take the call".

Because I *think* Jay Wright is on that list.

I think Syracuse is on that list for more high profile candidates than some are giving us credit for.
Everyone will take the call. Will the money we are offering keep them on the line is the question.

I don't envy anyone having to make the replacement hire. There are guys I'd like but they all have cons. I don't get the love for Buzz or Cooley either. If either were good candidates for a promotion or willing to move, they would have been snapped up by now by Tier 1 Programs. The buckets of candidates are:

1) Small school X&O coaches who get the most out of their players but need to be paired with a big school recruiting machine already in place (e.g., Gates, Langel, etc) who aren't going to command a huge salary off the bat, but come with risk.​
2) Major program assistants ready to go (Hop at SU, Tommy Lloyd, etc), low cost, lower risk of being completely over their head.​
3) An established mid-to-upper D1 coach who can recruit and win (e.g., Brad Underwood, Beard at T-Tech, Musselman, etc.) but just need more resources and people to get out of their way to get over the hump. High cost, lower risk.​
4) Coaching re-tread. Pitino, Sean Miller, Beilein, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, etc. These guys can win, can recruit, will cost a ton, and probably can't be hired for about 50 other reasons but still pop-up in threads.​

Last edited:
I got it.

HC Ime Udoka
Assistant Pat Riley to recruit & personnel
Assistant Steve Kerr for X and O

I think the postseason ban was for his predecessor's (Underwood at Illinois) transgressions.
It was actually Lamont Evans. He was hired as assistant coach along with Boynton on Underwood’s staff. When Boynton got the job he kept Evans. Evans was with Boynton for a few months before he was arrested.
He was taking money to steer players to certain places. So it wasn’t anything Boynton did but the arrest happened under his watch and his team faced the consequences. I don’t agree with the NCAA at all but that black eye will always exist under Boynton.

People really don’t understand what the SEC is offering…Cuse was a better job 10-20 years ago

Blank check city. 12 months of golf. The insane fans focus on football.

I would have zero interest in Langel at SU. Sorry if we can't do better than Langel then it means our brand was damaged beyond people thought and I just don't think that will be the case. In regards to JB forcing a inhouse candidate, I think the window has passed on that unless he steps down midseason. I think JW would have considered inhouse if JB would have moved on sooner before serious program degradation. This situation has changed from a "continuation of a strong and stable program " to a "resuscitation" of a program and I think that disqualifies anyone inhouse. My personal opinion is JW will open the purse strings.
It was 100% in house.
WAS

I don't envy anyone having to make the replacement hire. There are guys I'd like but they all have cons. I don't get the love for Buzz or Cooley either. If either were good candidates for a promotion or willing to move, they would have been snapped up by now by Tier 1 Programs. The buckets of candidates are:

1) Small school X&O coaches who get the most out of their players paired with a big school recruiting machine already in place (e.g., Gates, Langel, etc) who aren't going to command a huge salary off the bat, but come with risk.​
2) Major program assistants ready to go (Hop at SU, Tommy Lloyd, etc), low cost, lower risk of being completely over their head.​
3) An established mid-to-upper D1 coach who can recruit and win (e.g., Brad Underwood, Beard at T-Tech, Musselman, etc.) but just need more resources and people to get out of their way to get over the hump. High cost, lower risk.​
4) Coaching re-tread. Pitino, Sean Miller, Beilein, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, etc. These guys can win, can recruit, will cost a ton, and probably can't be hired for about 50 other reasons but still pop-up in threads.​
Pitino or Hop

No way on Sean Miller. I would go for Oats first then call Musselman and Shaka Smart.

Mid season resignment is absolutely despicable and I would never consider the option. There is no way JB will be agreeable to that.

It's time to move on but many of you need a little perspective on the legend that is Boeheim. You still must treat the man like gold for all he's done. He has, in fact, earned that. Anything less is truly disgusting.

And the Colgate coach? Are you kidding me? No way in hell

A few other off the radar guys who's been trending up are Micah Shrewberry at Penn State, the Iowa State coach TJ Otzelberger, and the Drake coach Darian DeVries but they're definitely not my top choices. If we could pry Oats or Mussellman away they would be probably the best options out there. They provide the quickest path back to relevancy as both are proven. Next up for me is Boynton or Valentine, and then Buzz or Hop. Colgate coach is a reach, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oats has been mentioned a lot, doesn't JB really dislike him? Not that I think that should matter, but JBs opinion on the next coach sure as hell may matter to the administration

People really don’t understand what the SEC is offering…Cuse was a better job 10-20 years ago

You keep saying that but the SEC coaches currently aren't making a ton more money than ACC coaches. Musselman makes 4 mil and Oats makes below that. I have no reason to believe that we couldn't offer them in the 4-6 million dollar range. Like if we aren't willing to pay that much then we shouldn't be considered a national power anymore.

Outside of Kentucky I don't think of any other SEC program than can offer a coach more than what we can if I am being honest assuming we are willing to pay 4-6 million per. Facailities solid. Fan Support unmatched. National Brand Check. I understand where you are coming from because SEC media contracts but most of that goes to football. I am not sure the basketball programs outside of Kentucky has a blank check like the football program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom