The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

No matter what, we need a couple of top notch recruiters on staff.

You always need recruiters on your staff but your HC especially now has to be a closer. Has to get out there and connect with the kids. It is very important much more than in the past.

With the exception of some of the top tier guys. I would go with Matt Langel.

He built Colgate into a perennial tournament team. They had only been twice before him in their history. Colgate’s home court only seats 1750 people. What he has done there is remarkable.

He’s still relatively young(45). He loves to have a ton of 3pt shooters. That’s the game these days. Guard and be able to shoot the 3. He knows the New York/Northeast recruiting scene. I think with his recent success and the backing of Syracuse he could recruit some really good players here. All these high ranking recruits want to play where they have the green light to bombs away.

Interestingly enough Hop and Boynton have nearly identical records at OSU and Washington yet people here are higher on Boynton.
I don’t understand the Boynton love. Just because he’s from New York?
Only one guy he has recruited got drafted to the NBA. His teams have been average to bad at times. He only went to second round with Cade Cunningham. And he only signed him because he hired his brother.
Not to mention he already has a postseason ban under his belt from FBI investigations.

I say stay far far away from Boynton. I’d take Mike Hopkins any day of the week over him.

I would have zero interest in Langel at SU. Sorry if we can't do better than Langel then it means our brand was damaged beyond people thought and I just don't think that will be the case. In regards to JB forcing a inhouse candidate, I think the window has passed on that unless he steps down midseason. I think JW would have considered inhouse if JB would have moved on sooner before serious program degradation. This situation has changed from a "continuation of a strong and stable program " to a "resuscitation" of a program and I think that disqualifies anyone inhouse. My personal opinion is JW will open the purse strings.

Interestingly enough Hop and Boynton have nearly identical records at OSU and Washington yet people here are higher on Boynton.

Only one guy he has recruited got drafted to the NBA. His teams have been average to bad at times. He only went to second round with Cade Cunningham. And he only signed him because he hired his brother.
Not to mention he already has a postseason ban under his belt from FBI investigations.

I say stay far far away from Boynton. I’d take Mike Hopkins any day of the week over him.

I agree with both of you. I think the original fascination was because he was young, hip, and had just landed one of the top recruits in the country. The NYC roots were another attractive factor.

But when you peel back the onion, it appears that he only landed Cunningham by hiring his brother, and the early returns at OKST have been underwhelming, even when he had Cade.

Like Hop, the bloom came off the rose as the sample size expanded.

I would have zero interest in Langel at SU. Sorry if we can't do better than Langel then it means our brand was damaged beyond people thought and I just don't think that will be the case. In regards to JB forcing a inhouse candidate, I think the window has passed on that unless he steps down midseason. I think JW would have considered inhouse if JB would have moved on sooner before serious program degradation. This situation has changed from a "continuation of a strong and stable program " to a "resuscitation" of a program and I think that disqualifies anyone inhouse. My personal opinion is JW will open the purse strings.

Could not agree more, across the board.

An in-house hire makes the most sense when continuity is the desired outcome. The internal candidate is generally set up for success, they have the opportunity to demonstrate that they can sustain program performance, and if they fail then they get bounced quick before they do too much harm.

We're way below that line of demarcation at this point, with the program in danger of flatlining. Which is why an in-house candidate would be a bad choice at this stage. You don't hand the reins over to completely unproven candidates, when the performance

Last edited:
One of the best. He got Cade to OSU

I am trying to pull from memory without google so bare with me LOL Didn't he have to give Cades dad a job or something like that? I thought I remember reading that.

LOL Nevermind I should have continued through the thread. It was his brother according to others.

You can thank JB for that.

Looking through old threads the name that caught my eye last time was Niko Medved if we were going to go after a mid major type coach.

Could not agree more, across the board.

An in-house hire makes the most sense when continuity is the desired outcome. We're way below that line of demarcation at this point, and in danger of flatlining. Which is why an in-house candidate would be a bad choice.

I want to know who is on the list of "they will at least tell their agent to take the call".

Because I *think* Jay Wright is on that list.

I think Syracuse is on that list for more high profile candidates than some are giving us credit for.

I want to know who is on the list of "they will at least tell their agent to take the call".

Because I *think* Jay Wright is on that list.

I think Syracuse is on that list for more high profile candidates than some are giving us credit for.

Wright - Musselman - Oats will all take the call of course. They will either come to a better job at Syracuse for equal or more pay. Or they will leverage the Syracuse "offer/interview" to increase their current contracts.

When speaking on Musselman and Oats it will be JW job to sell why Syracuse is better than Arkansas and Alabama and a couple of million dollars would be worth leaving on the table.

Mike would kill it in NYC. It’s nearly impossible to get guys to OSU and he uses any means necessary. He needs polish as an in game coach but everyone does on the big stage.

Wright - Musselman - Oats will all take the call of course. They will either come to a better job at Syracuse for equal or more pay. Or they will leverage the Syracuse "offer/interview" to increase their current contracts.

When speaking on Musselman and Oats it will be JW job to sell why Syracuse is better than Arkansas and Alabama and a couple of million dollars would be worth leaving on the table.
People really don’t understand what the SEC is offering…Cuse was a better job 10-20 years ago

People really don’t understand what the SEC is offering…Cuse was a better job 10-20 years ago
No the ACC is in hoops what the SEC is in football.

Remember the ACC has better markets in general outside of who is more CFB crazy. Carolinas > Mississippi and Alabama.

If you want to coach in the ACC and beat UNC and Duke Syracuse is the place to do it. Louisville too we really have to pray they don't enter the coaching sweepstakes this spring because to a third party its an identical job. We have the Dome they have the 1 arena nicer than NBA arenas etc.

Mike would kill it in NYC. It’s nearly impossible to get guys to OSU and he uses any means necessary. He needs polish as an in game coach but everyone does on the big stage.
NYC is not the big hot bed of hoops anymore. You could argue the prep schools of NE are equally important and if he can use his contacts to recruit the South, Southwest and West, sign me up.

Dan Hurley (I kid)

Ed Cooley is proven, but can he really recruit?

I like the idea of Boyton. I think in this transfer portal age, you can get a pretty quick turn around I think if your HC knows what’s he’s doing

I think the Hurley hate here is weird. He's a bit of a clown but the guy can recruit. Cooley seems like a great guy, but he's 3-6 all time in the NCAA. Two of those NCAA wins were last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom