The GMAC comparison | Syracusefan.com

The GMAC comparison

Cuse House

All American
Let me preface this post by saying I love me some JG3, kid plays with moxy. Going to be an all time great here, IMO. Asked to do a lot as a freshman and exceeding all of our expectations. This post is purely looking statistically at Girard vs GMac by the numbers as a freshman. Yes I know, the season is half over and will likely change some by the end of the year.

Points- GMac 13.3/JG3 12.4

Assists- GMac 4.4/JG3 3.9

3 point %- GMac 35.7%/JG3 34.9%

Steals- GMac 2.2/JG3 1.6

FT%- GMac 90.9%/JG3 95.7%

I was a little surprised at how close Joe is statistically to GMac as a freshman. Dakich kept saying at the end of the year that Joe will be a star in the league. I’m not sure how the rest of the season will go, but I’ve been quite pleased with Joe all year. Think he will surpass GMac in a few of these categories by year end as he keeps gaining confidence. A couple of those threes were extremely difficult shots.

Those are great comparable stats. Girard seems to be more of a complete player being able to dribble in traffic and get to the basket and able to create his own shot. The thing that plagued Gmac thru out his career was that he couldnt create his own shot. But Gmac was more clutch in that he would go and get us a three when we needed it most.

Not comparing players but would be interesting to plug Joe into the 2003 roster talent, and Gerry into this year.

Exactly... not to diminish what GMac did as a freshman, but the game gets much easier when you have Carmelo drawing all that attention. Teams double Hughes on occasion, not nearly as much as they did with Carmelo.

Those are great comparable stats. Girard seems to be more of a complete player being able to dribble in traffic and get to the basket and able to create his own shot. The thing that plagued Gmac thru out his career was that he couldnt create his own shot. But Gmac was more clutch in that he would go and get us a three when we needed it most.

Eh. GMac played at least half of his games as the only guy on the team who could shoot or handle the ball. I think that’s why some may remember him struggling to create his own shot. He didnt have those troubles as a freshman, or the beginning of his sophomore year when Edelin was playing.

I don’t think Joe would fair any better in creating if he was out there with some combo of McCroskey, Pace, and early career Nichols.

Exactly... not to diminish what GMac did as a freshman, but the game gets much easier when you have Carmelo drawing all that attention. Teams double Hughes on occasion, not nearly as much as they did with Carmelo.

LOL I remember getting frustrated in 2005 because Gmac would just take threes and not go inside like he did when he was a freshman.

Obviously we were loaded in 2003, especially once Edelin came back.

But Hughes and Buddy account for a TON of defensive attention with their ability to shoot, and Hughes ball handling takes a lot of pressure off Girard too.

Strictly from a shooting/ball handling standpoint, Joe has help this year - even though the team as a whole isn’t very good(and 2003 obviously was).

Obviously we were loaded in 2003, especially once Edelin came back.

But Hughes and Buddy account for a TON of defensive attention with their ability to shoot, and Hughes ball handling takes a lot of pressure off Girard too.

Strictly from a shooting/ball handling standpoint, Joe has help this year - even though the team as a whole isn’t very good(and 2003 obviously was).

I agree that Hughes and Buddy garner some defensive attention. Last night Hughes even got doubled once. Carmelo was constantly doubled. My point is that having a guy like Carmelo changes the game for everyone else on the team. We don't have that type of player this year... to be honest, no one else in the country does either.

Let me preface this post by saying I love me some JG3, kid plays with moxy. Going to be an all time great here, IMO. Asked to do a lot as a freshman and exceeding all of our expectations. This post is purely looking statistically at Girard vs GMac by the numbers as a freshman. Yes I know, the season is half over and will likely change some by the end of the year.

Points- GMac 13.3/JG3 12.4

Assists- GMac 4.4/JG3 3.9

3 point %- GMac 35.7%/JG3 34.9%

Steals- GMac 2.2/JG3 1.6

FT%- GMac 90.9%/JG3 95.7%

I was a little surprised at how close Joe is statistically to GMac as a freshman. Dakich kept saying at the end of the year that Joe will be a star in the league. I’m not sure how the rest of the season will go, but I’ve been quite pleased with Joe all year. Think he will surpass GMac in a few of these categories by year end as he keeps gaining confidence. A couple of those threes were extremely difficult shots.

Easy comp to make. Both are gritty white boys who can shoot. And seem to get better when they get pissed off.

I think people are overrating Girard as a PG. He's not. He's a shooting guard with some handle. GMac could run the offense better at this stage, though that was absolutely helped by havinga Melo, a senior 2G in Duany and an emerging low post threat in Warrick (in addition to the 'Melo back-ins and turnaround jumpers from 8-12' out.)

Glad JB finally offered him a scholly.

GMAC had a lot of in game passion, but I suspect Girard will be a bit more driven in the off-season and day to day.

Gerry is/was faster/quicker than JG3 and therefore better at driving the ball and getting to the lane. Gerry had a nice floater that allowed him to get his shot off in the lane.

if by the grace of god Elijah stays for his senior year and Joe’s allowed another sophomore year to develop I think he becomes an all time great.

completely different trajectory if he’s forced to carry the load next year. Buddy is NOT a ball handler.

I'm thrilled he took away some passing lanes and grabbed 6 rebounds. This is what I expected from him more than a very solid PPG/Shooting his freshman year. I also think Howard giving him a rest did wonders.

Regarding Hughes...how do his and Melo's stats stack up? I was thinking during the game he seemed like a poor mans melo.

Again, my post was about the stats. I’m not saying JG3 is GMac or that he ever will be. I think if his development goes as planned and we keep pieces around him, that he can surpass GMac as a player. Unless he wins a title though, he will never have GMac’s standing in Cuse basketball history.

Regarding Hughes...how do his and Melo's stats stack up? I was thinking during the game he seemed like a poor mans melo.
Melo averaged over 20 points a game and 10 rebounds. We’ve not seen a player, or a poor man’s version of him since. He was the greatest one and done of all time with only AD being close.

Melo averaged over 20 points a game and 10 rebounds. We’ve not seen a player, or a poor man’s version of him since. He was the greatest one and done of all time with only AD being close.

Interesting, I didn't realize he averaged 10 rebounds a game but at 6'8" I figured 7 to 8. Let's also not forget Melo had Hack to go along with GMac so Hughes imo is doing a very good Melo imitation. For those who read this, I am not saying he is as good as Melo, just doing a lot of the similar things.

Points per game: Melo - 22.2, Hughes - 19.5
rebounds: Melo - 10.0, Hughes - 5.1
Assists: Melo - 2.2, Hughes - 4.4
FG%: Melo - .453, Hughes - .442
3’s : Melo - .337, Hughes - .411
FTs: Melo - .706, Hughes - .770

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics