The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

Ok so by Kaiser's rules we gotta put Plunkett in.
Not even close.

The Rings don't make up for a subpar career, they help subpar careers get over the hump...like Kurt Warner.

Eli, is aces in both.

Not even close.

The Rings don't make up for a subpar career, they help subpar careers get over the hump...like Kurt Warner.

Eli, is aces in both.

I guess.

I'd take Warner over both.

Eli is is going to become the floor for the Hall of Fame debate.
He either barely gets in or the standard is defined.
This face should be the tiebreaker.
ulfl30lthscoihlqjfoz.png

Not even close.

Eli, is aces in both.
Kurt Warner won an MVP and was dominant for 3 to 5 years in the NFL.

Eli Manning is a stat compiler middle tier quarterback who maybe had a couple seasons where he was a top 8 quarterback but he's never been dominant.
He has 2 SB runs where he was great in the postseason.
Hall of Fame should be for the elite.

Philip Rivers was denied a ring because of the greatness of Tom Brady in 2006. That 2006 patriots team was inferior to 14-2 San Diego but they went into San Diego and beat them.
San Diego would've likely beaten Indianapolis at home and Chicago in the Super Bowl.
Being in the AFC has killed Big Ben and Rivers.
Denver, Ravens, and the Giants are the only teams that have beaten the Patriots multiple times in the postseason under Brady/Belichick.

Kurt Warner won an MVP and was dominant for 3 to 5 years in the NFL.

Eli Manning is a stat compiler middle tier quarterback who maybe had a couple seasons where he was a top 8 quarterback but he's never been dominant.
He has 2 SB runs where he was great in the postseason.
Hall of Fame should be for the elite.
Eli is going to finish Top 5 in Yards and TDs...with at least 2 SuperBowl MVPs.

SLAM THE FLUCK DUNK.

Eli is going to finish Top 5 in Yards and TDs...with at least 2 SuperBowl MVPs.

SLAM THE FLUCK DUNK.
Super Bowl MVPs are going to the quarterback nowadays.
Tom Brady won it 2 years ago when Malcolm Butler should've gotten it. Just like Justin Tuck should've won Super Bowl 42 MVP.

Eli is a stat compiler who because he stayed healthy will have stats but he has never been an all pro and he's never been dominate the regular season he's been in the middle of the NFL.
Hall of Fame should be elite not hall of very good stats.

Matt Stafford is going to have a ton of passing yards and throw up a lot a touchdown passes he's not going to the Hall of Fame.

Super Bowl MVPs are going to the quarterback nowadays.
Tom Brady won it 2 years ago when Malcolm Butler should've gotten it. Just like Justin Tuck should've won Super Bowl 42 MVP.

Eli is a stat compiler who because he stayed healthy will have stats but he has never been an all pro and he's never been dominate the regular season he's been in the middle of the NFL.
Hall of Fame should be elite not hall of very good stats.

Matt Stafford is going to have a ton of passing yards and throw up a lot a touchdown passes he's not going to the Hall of Fame.
and Matthew Stafford will never have 2 SuperBowl appearances, let alone wins...let alone MVPs.

Eli is going to the HOF. The numbers are good enough and he has an iconic SB win over an unbeaten team and arguably the most dominate regular season team in NFL history that included a late 4th Quarter comeback led by him...Eli is going to the HOF.

Eli is is going to become the floor for the Hall of Fame debate.
He either barely gets in or the standard is defined.

Not even close. Bob Griese and Joe Namath are the floor.

Not even close. Bob Griese and Joe Namath are the floor.
QB play was completely different back then. There aren't many HOF QBs from that generation. Namath and Greise were allowed to be beaten.

Eli has stats but has never been dominant. Griese and Namath were dominant at their apex. Namath threw more INTs than TDs and made the HOF.

QB play was completely different back then. There aren't many HOF QBs from that generation. Namath and Greise were allowed to be beaten.

Eli has stats but has never been dominant. Griese and Namath were dominant at their apex. Namath threw more INTs than TDs and made the HOF.
Different or not, that is one of the many reasons Eli will be in the HOF.

Eli Manning is like Johnny Damon in MLB.
Won 2 championships was really a good player with really good stats but he was never the best at his position or close.
If you let Eli in the bar is lower.

QB HOFers from this generation
Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger.

Those are the 5.

Won 2 championships was really a good player with really good stats but he was never the best at his position or close.

Those are the 5.
You're going to be awfully disappointed when there are 6.

Those are the 5.

I feel like Eli is the Paul Pierce of the NFL. Pierce finished on the NBA all-second team once, never on the first team. Was never a serious MVP candidate a single time. But will find his way into the HOF due to being around a long time and thus being on high all-time stat lists, and winning a title in a high-exposure town.

Those are the 5.
The bar can't be any lower than Aikman.

Eli waltzes in.

And what if he wins a 3rd??

They may put him in during the post game.

I feel like Eli is the Paul Pierce of the NFL. Pierce finished on the NBA all-second team once, never on the first team. Was never a serious MVP candidate a single time. But will find his way into the HOF due to being around a long time and thus being on high all-time stat lists, and winning a title in a high-exposure town.
That's better than Damon comparison, he never made it to 3000.

Eli did, or will.

Over 300 TDs now, over 50000 yards this year and will push for 60,000 and 400.

Theres no Biggio or Molitor stat padding in the NFL.

Pierce was the 3rd best SF in the 2000s behind LeBron James and Dirk.
He was good but not as good those guys.
Nice comparison but I think Pierce was better in his sport than Eli in his.

Paul Pierce is way better than Eli.

This forum is the only place where Giants fans actually like Eli.
Find me a Giants fan who doesn't like Eli, and in addition to showing me a loser...you will show me a fake fan.

Not even close.

Eli, is aces in both.

Kurt Warner had a much better career than Eli, Warner easily could have 3 sb rings.

Easy (In no special order here are 10 QB's better than McNabb since 1978 that would make up my 11-20 rankings.)
Eli Manning
Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Kurt Warner
Phil Simms
Cam Newton
Warren Moon
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

To me McNabb is in the next group of 20-30 which includes the likes of Ken Anderson, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason..etc.

Statistically speaking (efficiency stats), over the course of their careers, DM is better than Bledsoe, Simms and Moon. I don't think Newton has played long enough to be considered.

Imo, McNabb is inside the top 20 but he's close to the cut line or on it.

Last edited:
Not trolling at all. As I have stated numerous times, Pro Bowls mean nothing. It's worthless. Again, from 2011 to 2016 Stafford has thrown for over 4,000 yards every year. Mix in one year where he threw for over 5,000 yards too. McNabb never had a 4,000 yard season let alone a 5,000 yard season and YES they are from the same era.

Again, "WINS" is not a QB stat. Neither is "playoff appearances." Those are team stats so I don't hold the fact Stafford got picked by a garbage franchise against him. I mean Rich Gannon was ALL PRO Twice and went to 4 Pro Bowls, and 1 Super Bowl and I am NOT ranking him ahead of McNabb. Yet he was All Pro more times than McNabb. It goes beyond one thing.

I'm not knocking McNabb...I think being a Top 30 QB since 1978 till today is a HUGE and GREAT accomplishment. But I just don't feel he is Top 20 and as I said earlier today when it comes to where he ranks next to Stafford I would have to do more of a deep dive into things but its not a crazy thought to think Stafford is a spot or two ahead of him.

No, they are not from the same era. McNabb was last decade. Stafford (and Newton) is this decade. The game has changed since last decade, and QB stats are much crazier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom