The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

Cover_eyes_shining.gif

HAhah!! I can't stand Eli. Although, he is a Patriot KILLER, if that's your thing. As far as Pyle's comments on Stafford... I like him. I think on a different team/situation he'd be far more respected. Damn good. Better than Brady? That was funny... Although, I completely agree, Stafford would have been far better with a decent coaching staff... And Matt Millen... Sheesh.. Pretty sure, he may have been the worst ever...

We used to have a Matt Millen award for FFB, for the guy who could draft a couple studs, and then COMPLETELY whiff on everything else. Apologies(Pyle) as a Detroit fan. They could have been really good, if they ditched Millen and Coaches WAY sooner... On a different team, I'd take Stafford FAR over Rivers or Eli, even Luck. I think the talent is there, but yeah. The organization threw it all away. I'm 1,000 miles away from Detroit. My buddies and I always watched Detroit(FB package), because it was surprising he could do anything with the line/coaching/depth... And NO. We were not Detroit Fan's. I'm with you.. He's way better than people realize. Watch him for a while, and it's obvious he's better than his situation (with the ineptitude around him) Is he in this conversation? No. That's a shame. I think he would have been, elsewhere.

I think Stafford coulda woulda shoulda been top 10 anywhere else. Ohh. And Eli is a, deer in the headlights, frightened, Turd. (couldn't help it) ;-)

Last edited:
I have a problem with all hall of fames , they have become all about stats and like trials when you cite past cases . A hall of famer yes should have elite stats but more importantly should be "famous " someone you can't help talk about or forget , someone there is no doubt was unbelievable. It's getting watered down . 20 years from now will people say OMG you had to see Eli play ? A good player is not a hall of famer ! An unbelievable player is , plain and simple !

Kurt Warner had a much better career than Eli, Warner easily could have 3 sb rings.
We'll see how the stats end up. And no matter what, Warner doesn't have 3 rings. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't count.

The funniest thing about this thread is the comment that McNabb and Stafford are from the same era. McNabb's career ended 2 years before Stafford's began.

Ozzie Smith and Vlad Guerrero are from the same era too right?

as for the Soup Pusher...he had a phenomenal NFL career.

1 in which he went to a bunch of Pro Bowls, won multiple NFC Easts and playoff games...and got to the Super Bowl (he puked it away, but I digress).

he is in the iggs Hall of Fame and has his # retired...Silver Medal Awards for an overall career, Gold for team purposes. he and all Cuse fans should be extremely proud and honored by that great designation.

it is also the last designation or honor his football career will ever receive.

and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Eli has a while to go to even catch up to Brees in career stats and nobody seems to be mentioning him for HOF.

Eli has a while to go to even catch up to Brees in career stats and nobody seems to be mentioning him for HOF.
Brees is in.

better??

Isn't Eli a 2 time SB MVP beating Brady and the Pats both times? He's in the HOF. 7-2 on the road in the playoffs. He' s in.

Isn't Eli a 2 time SB MVP beating Brady and the Pats both times? He's in the HOF. 7-2 on the road in the playoffs. He' s in.
Joe Flacco was SB 47 MVP and has beaten the Patriots twice in the playoffs as well.
Let's put him in.
Eli's regular seasons have never been top tier for QBs and stats are overinflated because of the Era.

Brees is a lock. Nobody is questioning his dominance.

Joe Flacco was SB 47 MVP and has beaten the Patriots twice in the playoffs as well.
Let's put him in.
Eli's regular seasons have never been top tier for QBs and stats are overinflated because of the Era.
stop, you know comparing playoff games to the biggest game on the planet are not even in the same galaxy.

when Eli goes in, I wonder if he thanks BB for...'this is a Cruz and Nicks game, make them go to Manningham, make them go to Pascoe'.

boom, Eli to Manningham and the game winning march is ON...

right at his fee too.

yes...GLORIOUS.

So Alsacs I know the eras are different and such but Joe Namath is a hall of famer, and you have Eli barely in, if at all?

I'd love to hear this

So Alsacs I know the eras are different and such but Joe Namath is a hall of famer, and you have Eli barely in, if at all?

I'd love to hear this
Namath was one of the best QBs of his Era.
QB play was pretty chitty back then.
If Eli played then he would be a HOFer.

The HOF should be for the elite. Best at their position.
Eli has never been the best at his position or even top 3 in one season.

The guy is what I said Johnny Damon. Good player who made all star teams and won 2 championships. Plus had memorable playoff moments.

Eli has been lucky he is been in the NFC as well unlike Ben and Rivers both who have been better.
Eli has 2 seasons he has won playoff games. He has never been dominant and missed the playoffs a ton. Rivers has a chit organization that kills him Eli doesn't.

Eli in the HOF just confirms the NFL HOF is a joke unlike the MLB one.

I'm with you on the Eli discussion but the MLB HOF doesn't have the greatest player ever in it.
A couple of them.

And Alsacs, yes, the NFL HOF is vastly different from the baseball one.

I think it's better.

Players get argued over before deciding who gets in.

The anonymous baseball one with useless bbwa 'writers' can be a joke.

I know they tried to correct it, but a lot of fringe guys got in like Dawson, Rice and to a degree Biggio.

If you want to create a Hall within the Hall, knock yourself out...for both sports.

But the bottom line is, Eli is going in now...and he's not done compiling stats, playoff appearances, playoff wins...and...RINGS.

A couple of them.

And Alsacs, yes, the NFL HOF is vastly different from the baseball one.

I think it's better.

Players get argued over before deciding who gets in.

The anonymous baseball one with useless bbwa 'writers' can be a joke.

I know they tried to correct it, but a lot of fringe guys got in like Dawson, Rice and to a degree Biggio.

If you want to create a Hall within the Hall, knock yourself out...for both sports.

But the bottom line is, Eli is going in now...and he's not done compiling stats, playoff appearances, playoff wins...and...RINGS.
Joe Flacco for HOF when he wins another one.

I'm with you on the Eli discussion but the MLB HOF doesn't have the greatest player ever in it.
If your talking about Pete Rose the guy belongs nowhere near the HOF.
He bet on the game and his own team. Screw that guy in the HOF.

If your talking about Barry Bonds. I agree he should be in as he was a HOFer without steroids and Mike Piazza got in and Jeff Bagwell is next week.

Let's not act like the defense wasn't the MVP of both of those Super Bowls. No Giants fan thinks Eli actually won them those games.

I hate She-li and I think his D carried him to 2 SB victories.

But he's getting into Canton.

There's no way they're leaving Archie's #2 and CUT THAT MEAT's lil bro out.

I hate She-li and I think his D carried him to 2 SB victories.

But he's getting into Canton.

There's no way they're leaving Archie's #2 and CUT THAT MEAT's lil bro out.

Hall of Mediocrity.

If your talking about Pete Rose the guy belongs nowhere near the HOF.
He bet on the game and his own team. Screw that guy in the HOF.

If your talking about Barry Bonds. I agree he should be in as he was a HOFer without steroids and Mike Piazza got in and Jeff Bagwell is next week.

I don't want to get into a whole thing on Rose because we all know how big of a debate that will spark, But he bet on his team as a manager, has nothing to do with his playing career.

I don't want to get into a whole thing on Rose because we all know how big of a debate that will spark, But he bet on his team as a manager, has nothing to do with his playing career.

Just a clarification: The NFL HOF is based on on-field performance. The MLB HOF includes performance AND character issues (especially following the Black Sox incident/monopoly issue) from a players whole life. If the MLB considered only on field performance, Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson would be instated immediately. This also explains why Lawrence Taylor* gets into the NFL HOF while if he maintained the same character and played baseball, he would never be considered.

*I am a Giants fan and have followed the Giants since a child, before Simms and Taylor were drafted. While I love the on field performance, LT has less character than one would hope.

Eli = Johnny Damon
Johnny Damon: He racked up 2,769 hits (54th all-time), 522 doubles (48th), 408 steals (67th) and 1,668 runs scored (32nd). All of those are very impressive. This is where many would call him a "compiler," though. Damon hit .284/.352/.433 in his career, which is good for a 104 OPS+ -- so only four percent better than average. He made only two All-Star Games and received votes for MVP four times, but never finished higher than 13th. He's better than the below "one and done" guys, but will only get one turn on the ballot. When people break out the "Hall of the Very Good" talking points, Damon would be a nice poster child.

BTW KaiserUEO Joe Flacco has 2 more postseason wins than Eli has.
Eli entered the league in 2004 while Flacco entered in 2008.

Eli is 8-4 in the postseason. Flacco 10-5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom