The Last Dance | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The Last Dance

92 vs 08 or 12 would be a great series. 92 sounds unbelievable, and obviously they were incredible, but Larry and Magic were not Larry and Magic. I think the 92 team would be at a slight athletic deficit, Stockton would struggle with some of the quicker PG, ditto Mullin and the wings. Probably a lot of lineups with Pippen as the de factor lead ball handler.

2008 you have a 8-9 man rotation of
Paul/Kidd/Williams at PG
Wings you have Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Melo
Bigs you have Dwight (when Dwight was great) and Bosh

Lebron isn't quite at his apex, but that's a hell of a team

Paul/Russ at PG, with a lesser Deron Williams
Lebron/Harden/Kobe/Melo/Durant on the wings
Love and Tyson Chandler as your bigs, with fresh out of college Anthony Davis

If you could put 2008 Dwight on the 2012 team, or if 2012 Anthony Davis was more like 2014 Anthony Davis, that team might be unbeatable. Paul/Lebron/Harden/Durant/Dwight? My god. Harden is a guy who doesn't exactly work as well when he's not dominating the ball, but I bet he would still be ok spotting up.

What would the 2020 dream team have looked like? I imagine Lebron doesn't play? For the sake of argument, lets pretend Durant is healthy. Something like

Steph/Dame at PG
Kawhi/Durant/PG/Harden as your wings
Davis/? as the bigs

Feels like they are short one killer big man, a lot of the good big men aren't eligible (Jokic, Embiid, Rudy) If Lebron was playing you could play him as a big.

92 would smoke them with Michael, bigs and Magic, even tho he was later in his career.

MJ and Pip as the wing defenders.

Dwight was the best center when the position was cratering. Robinson would have made Dwight look like a turnstile.

The best team that would have had a shot would have had to have KD, Bron and Steph. Never happened.

You couldn’t even put Bosh on the floor against the ‘92 team.

Im torn between:
1) Michael can’t mentally process or fathom how a migraine could stop someone because he thinks it wouldn’t stop himself. We saw his mentality towards his own foot injury in his second season. We saw him in the “flu game”. He probably thinks he could’ve fought his way through it and produced if it happened to him.

or

2) It was kind’ve a sarcastic smile to express just how unfortunate and untimely it was. Like, “game 7 and we’ve got a shot to finally eliminate these guys after years of losing to them and of course one of our best guys can’t go...unbelievable, where’s the luck? What next? What a terrible break for us and I still can’t believe it.” That kind of thing.

My initial impression when watching the show is it's closer to #1

92 would smoke them with Michael, bigs and Magic, even tho he was later in his career.

MJ and Pip as the wing defenders.

Dwight was the best center when the position was cratering. Robinson would have made Dwight look like a turnstile.

The best team that would have had a shot would have had to have KD, Bron and Steph. Never happened.

You couldn’t even put Bosh on the floor against the ‘92 team.

I know, going through this I was thinking the current guys never lined up all together.

Dwight is not at the level or Robinson, but he was really good in his prime. 3 time DPOY, 4 straight years in MVP top 4. Just convince him he doesn't need to get any post ups.

I'm not saying they would win, but if you're running a crunch time lineup of Paul/Kobe/Wade/Lebron/Dwight; again, I'm not saying they win, but that's a pretty incredible lineup. Stockton/Jordan/Pippen/Barkley/Robinson doesn't, to me, blow it away

Bringing this all back to the Last Dance, in looking at the 92 team, if you were actually trying to win a basketball series, you really do need another PG, probably Isiah, on the roster, right? Not totally sure of his defensive rep, but seems like they could use another guy to check PG

I know, going through this I was thinking the current guys never lined up all together.

Dwight is not at the level or Robinson, but he was really good in his prime. 3 time DPOY, 4 straight years in MVP top 4. Just convince him he doesn't need to get any post ups.

I'm not saying they would win, but if you're running a crunch time lineup of Paul/Kobe/Wade/Lebron/Dwight; again, I'm not saying they win, but that's a pretty incredible lineup. Stockton/Jordan/Pippen/Barkley/Robinson doesn't, to me, blow it away

Bringing this all back to the Last Dance, in looking at the 92 team, if you were actually trying to win a basketball series, you really do need another PG, probably Isiah, on the roster, right? Not totally sure of his defensive rep, but seems like they could use another guy to check PG

Put Magic in that starting lineup and the mismatch is crazy, imo. His B game was still awesome.

Re PG, if it were today’s type of game, Pip could’ve been point forward almost full time if you really wanted to. But ya, Isiah would have been killer there.

I would love to see a five out team from 2015-ish area of Steph, Klay or PG at the 2, Kawhi, Bron and KD. Dare Dream Team to pound it to the five.

Put Magic in that starting lineup and the mismatch is crazy, imo. His B game was still awesome.

Re PG, if it were today’s type of game, Pip could’ve been point forward almost full time if you really wanted to. But ya, Isiah would have been killer there.

I would love to see a five out team from 2015-ish area of Steph, Klay or PG at the 2, Kawhi, Bron and KD. Dare Dream Team to pound it to the five.

I just can't remember summer of 1992 Magic, he had been off for a year and a half or whatever, I'm not sure if he would've been the Magic of even 1990. If he is, you just play him as the 1, and have Pippen take whoever the PG is I think (I just checked, even as late as 91, his last season, Magic was 2nd in MVP voting.)

I was thinking Klay would be a perfect 5th man for a current dream team. Never take even one dribble, just shoot a million threes.

Im a little curious how Pippen would've been as a full time PG. He was playing in the triangle with Phil, so it's not exactly like today's game. He was a great ball handler for a 3, but I don't know if he excels with the ball in his hand all the time, running a million pick and rolls. If the 92 team had a weakness, I think the PG position is it.

I just can't remember summer of 1992 Magic, he had been off for a year and a half or whatever, I'm not sure if he would've been the Magic of even 1990. If he is, you just play him as the 1, and have Pippen take whoever the PG is I think (I just checked, even as late as 91, his last season, Magic was 2nd in MVP voting.)

I was thinking Klay would be a perfect 5th man for a current dream team. Never take even one dribble, just shoot a million threes.

Im a little curious how Pippen would've been as a full time PG. He was playing in the triangle with Phil, so it's not exactly like today's game. He was a great ball handler for a 3, but I don't know if he excels with the ball in his hand all the time, running a million pick and rolls. If the 92 team had a weakness, I think the PG position is it.
Stockton was injured for most of the Olympic run in 92. That’s certainly a big factor. The weak spot yes was PG but with a healthy Stockton, that’s huge. He was one of the most durable nba players ever honestly, amazing he got hurt a bit during the Olympic s.

Im torn between:
1) Michael can’t mentally process or fathom how a migraine could stop someone because he thinks it wouldn’t stop himself. We saw his mentality towards his own foot injury in his second season. We saw him in the “flu game”. He probably thinks he could’ve fought his way through it and produced if it happened to him.

or

2) It was kind’ve a sarcastic smile to express just how unfortunate and untimely it was. Like, “game 7 and we’ve got a shot to finally eliminate these guys after years of losing to them and of course one of our best guys can’t go...unbelievable, where’s the luck? What next? What a terrible break for us and I still can’t believe it.” That kind of thing.

LOL it’s number one.

I was curious, looking at the all NBA team for the 91-92 season. Chris Mullin made first team over Scottie Pippen. Not sure about that one. Pippen was only third team in 93 as well

It was his foot, not his knee.

Grant was already a top player and likely would’ve had another 5-6 seasons at that level without the injury.

Penny had more shooting range, and while Grant had point forward skills - Penny was a legit PG. I think what he could do was just a little more dynamic and higher ceiling.

Came across this today. This kindve stuff is what I had in mind when I said “more dynamic”. Special talent IMO.

Came across this today. This kindve stuff is what I had in mind when I said “more dynamic”. Special talent IMO.

Hill was an incredible player in Detroit, his last two season, especially the 99-00' season he really developed his mid range game to go with his already very good post up game. His right to left crossover was nasty.

Hill was an incredible player in Detroit, his last two season, especially the 99-00' season he really developed his mid range game to go with his already very good post up game. His right to left crossover was nasty.

No question, Hill was nasty. I think he had pretty much peaked though. What sucks is he probably would’ve played at that level for another 5 years or so.

I don’t think Penny ever peaked. He got hurt much younger. He was a legit PG that was 6’7 with great athleticism, handle, could shoot, and was fundamentally sound with feel for the game. Could’ve been transcendent IMO.

No question, Hill was nasty. I think he had pretty much peaked though. What sucks is he probably would’ve played at that level for another 5 years or so.

I don’t think Penny ever peaked. He got hurt much younger. He was a legit PG that was 6’7 with great athleticism, handle, could shoot, and was fundamentally sound with feel for the game. Could’ve been transcendent IMO.

Hill was coming off one of his best years, I don't think he peaked as he just started adding the mid range jumper to his game. On top of that Penny was only a few years younger than Hill when he first injured his knee in the 96' playoffs against Detroit.

One of the only reasons I think Penny is close to Hill (obviously Detroit bias I have Hill ahead), but the first 20+ games of Shaq's last season in Orlando with Shaq out gave us an insight of how Penny may have done without being in Shaq's shadow.

I don’t get why Jordan said he would become more unlikable after this documentary.
He has come off more cool and relatable.
Also how Knicks fans feel about Jordan is how Celtics fans feel about LeBron but the Celtics atleast beat LeBron once in a playoff series.
The Knicks beat the Bulls without Jordan.

Danny Ainge let Jordan go the length of the floor to cut it to two, and then left Paxson all alone.

Come to think of it, why was he on the floor?

If Michael wants to bet my $10 against his $10K on golf I am more than willing to challenge him.

That was funny as hell when he did the shrug. This Doc is even better than I thought it would be. I’m DVRing all of them and will definitely be watching this thing multiple times.

What do you think the chances are that they ever get released on DVD? I’d think it’d break sales records, no?

Danny Ainge let Jordan go the length of the floor to cut it to two, and then left Paxson all alone.

Come to think of it, why was he on the floor?

Looked it up. He finished a lot of games for them that year and was 5th on the Suns in minutes off the bench. Mark West was a starter, but averaged just 20 mpg.

I love the fact Jordan had such open contempt for Jerry Krause.
The efeff you Dan Majerle just because Krause liked him and Majerle didn’t even know it was just great.

Those early 1990s Knicks teams were more likable versions of Bad Boy Pistons.
Outside of Ewing the only other lottery pick on the team was Charles Smith.
Greg Anthony was 12th overall pick but back then just outside the lottery.

Amazing how much older the NBA was in the 90’s compared to now.
I wish the league was older now. The young talent is better but the sport just seems less competitive even with better players.

That was funny as hell when he did the shrug. This Doc is even better than I thought it would be. I’m DVRing all of them and will definitely be watching this thing multiple times.

The best stuff is just the behind the scenes footage. It's unbelievable.

The real eye-opener in last night’s episodes were the amount of cigars that Jordan smoked WHILE HE WAS STILL PLAYING!!

He’s the G.O.A.T. and he managed to do it with smoker’s lungs??

Come on. He’s not human.

MRS: Cigars? We're sitting here. We're smoking a Cuban Monty No. 2. Nothing wrong with that. I went through your humidor here; you have a great selection. When did you first get into cigars?
JORDAN: I smoked my first cigar in 1991, when we won the championship. Up to that point, I had never smoked a cigar, never smoked anything. We won the championship, and Jerry Reinsdorf gave me one of his cigars. He's a big cigar smoker.

The next time I received a cigar was from my good friend, Ahmad Rashad. He used to get these Churchills from Las Vegas that were dipped in rum. I wouldn't smoke them, but I would sit there and chew on them. I got to the point where it became very relaxing.

In Chicago, I tell people this, and they have to understand the context of what happened. We had to be to the stadium at 6 o'clock for home games, and traffic was so bad it would take us an hour and 15 or an hour and 30 minutes to drive. So now I'm sitting in a car for almost an hour and a half, and I'm very tense. I'm worried about the traffic. So I started smoking a cigar going to the games. In 1993. It became a ritual for every home game.

MRS: What cigar?
JORDAN: At the time, I started out with the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona.

MRS: That's a good hour smoke.
JORDAN: Taking my time. I never rushed. As soon as I walked in, Phil [Jackson] would say, OK, you had a long drive. It became such a relaxing thing to do. Not many people know about it. When they read this, they'll know that each and every day for a home game, I smoked a cigar. I wanted that feeling of success, and relaxation. It's the most relaxing thing.

MRS: People don't understand. When I'm in the office and I have a problem, I light a cigar, and my mind expands and I'm able to solve the problem.
JORDAN: It is the most relaxing thing. Every time I get to a point where everything is coming at me, I would rather just sit back and smoke a cigar and relax.

MRS: What are your favorite cigars today?
JORDAN: Partagas Lusitanias. I love those. And I'm in love with all Cubans. I've become a big Cuban cigar smoker. I gradually worked my way up from Las Vegas rum-dipped to all the different types.

MRS: What size cigar do you like?
JORDAN: Depends on the time, depends on the day, depends on what I'm doing. If I'm in a rush, I can go for a robusto—not that it's not going to be rushing, but it's smaller.

MRS: You ever have an Epicure No. 2?
JORDAN: Sure.

MRS: Partagas Serie D?
JORDAN: Sure. You've got me smoking these Montecristo No. 2s, and these are so strong. If I hadn't had anything to eat, I wouldn't touch this. These are for the end of the night, and I'm getting ready for the end of the day. If I had to smoke a cigar that I can get through, that would be an Esplendido. I can get through those.

MRS: So, today, when do you smoke?
JORDAN: I already smoked today. I went to work out, and I had a cigar on the way, fighting the traffic the whole way.

MRS: What kind of cigar did you smoke this morning?
JORDAN: I had a Cohiba Siglo II.

MRS: Have you ever been to a cigar factory?
JORDAN: No, and it's my biggest dream to visit Cuba and visit some of these factories. Obviously with the embargo it's a little difficult.

MRS: Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua. Maybe we will have to take a tour.
JORDAN: I'd love to go. I'm open. I have a strong interest. Don't ask me how many a day I smoke.

MRS: I don't tell people how many I smoke a day, either. Arnold Schwarzenegger—I believe we can describe him as a successful actor. Huge cigar guy. Now he's the governor of California.
JORDAN: No! No! No! Not interested.

MRS: Have you ever in your weakest moment thought about going into politics?
JORDAN: No, I just haven't had a strong passion for politics.

MRS: What do you think about public people in important positions who smoke, including the current president of the United States, who doesn't want people to know. But then there are guys like Arnold, who built a tent behind the capitol building in Sacramento so he could smoke. And there's Rudy Giuliani. It's a pleasure of his. Obviously, you don't think there's anything wrong with smoking a fine cigar, but what about other people who enjoy cigars and aren't willing to at least acknowledge that?
JORDAN: Yeah, I think about it. I put myself in that position early on because of the negative influence that it is perceived to be. Drinking is, too. A lot of people drink.

MRS: But wine today is more accepted.
JORDAN: But alcohol is alcohol, no matter how you look at it. I've come to grips with it, however, and even sitting down to talk with you is part of my decision. I'm stepping away from that public image, from that other self that's been around for so many years. These are the things that I enjoy. These are the passions that help me get from point A to point B. The relaxation that I get from it.

Certain people may want to know that. That's one of the reasons I'm doing this with your magazine. I'm not endorsing anything, or telling kids they should pick up cigar smoking or drink beer. These are things that I enjoy. This is my passion. They are some of the things that I like to do.

At some point, you have to take your life back from the public, to enjoy it. And I'm at that stage where now I'm taking my life back from the public and doing the things that I enjoy doing. Like motorcycle riding, which I couldn't do because I had this situation with my contracts and my commitments to the game. But I grew up riding a motorcycle, and now I'm doing more of those things I like. And I'm enjoying myself.

People have to understand that I'm still a person, and there are things that I enjoy doing. Yes, I enjoy working with kids and giving them positive things to think about, about how to get from where they are to where they want to be. But that doesn't mean that I can't be the person that I want to be and do the things that I want to do.

MRS: That's so important. Basically you're saying, I'm going private. Being true to myself.
JORDAN: Exactly.

It's funny how much different things were 20-25 years ago when nobody was looking at their phones.

You had to do things like play cards, throw quarters, talk to each other, etc. etc. There was so much more just informal interaction and shooting the s--t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom