The last frontier for the NCAA | Syracusefan.com

The last frontier for the NCAA

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
Now that college football players are professionals, will they still be required to (appear to) be actual students?

Now that college football players are professionals, will they still be required to (appear to) be actual students?
And are scholarships taxable income?

How about they start paying tuition?
If you are an expensive private school, you do not want players to pay tuition as that would put the private school at a competitive disadvantage to public schools for attracting players.

I thought scholarships did count as income for parents on their taxes if the child is a dependent?

If you’re getting paid to play, you are a professional athlete. And a scholarship is part of the compensation. I don’t see how a scholarship wouldn’t be taxable. You can’t have it both ways.

When the bluebloods break away from the NCAA, class attendance will become optional (read: "strongly discouraged").

If you’re getting paid to play, you are a professional athlete. And a scholarship is part of the compensation. I don’t see how a scholarship wouldn’t be taxable. You can’t have it both ways.
There should probably be a master thread for these predictions. I am morbidly fascinated by running this whole thing down the rabbit hole of “if it’s blatantly and openly about money, take this to the logical extreme and see where it must inevitably go, in every facet.” I believe there are some horribles we can parade here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom