The next 5 teams we play all stink | Syracusefan.com

The next 5 teams we play all stink

OrangeDW

Living Legend
BC twice, VT, GT, Louisville….they all stink. Can we win all 5?

If we get to 16-11 with 4 games left(1 good team in Duke, and 3 decent teams in UNC, ND, and Miami), can we possibly play ourselves onto the bubble? Would 19-12 going into the ACC tourney give us a shot?

* I fully expect to basically keep doing what we’ve been doing and play .500 ball the rest of the way, but can at least realistically hope for better after the last couple games.

If we get to 16-11 with 4 games left(1 good team in Duke, and 3 decent teams in UNC, ND, and Miami), can we possibly play ourselves onto the bubble? Would 19-12 going into the ACC tourney give us a shot?

* I fully expect to basically keep doing what we’ve been doing and play .500 ball the rest of the way, but can at least realistically hope for better after the last couple games.
If one of those wins was Duke and we had zero "bad" losses then we probably are on the bubble somewhere. I lean towards saying they make it in though if we beat Duke.

I agree with you I think we end up at .500 or 1 win above. NIT is looking us in the face.

Virginia Tech is at least 15 - 20 places ahead of Syracuse in every "objective" ranking system I have seen.

I’m just hoping we can somehow be 2 games over 500 going into the ACC tournament. But….Once again college basketball blows so if we can somehow get on a heater to end the season I think we can play our way onto the bubble.

They’re 12-10?? If you’ve already got double digit losses with half the conference schedule still remaining….you kinda stink. IMO.

They are 42 in Ken Pom. Deceiving record.

The Orange have some baaaaad losses.
Seems to me they'd have to close the season 8-1 then have to win at least 2 games in the ACC Tourney.
So being 21-13 probably gets them in.

Beating Duke would be a gigantic upset.
Akin to something that could never happen.
Like Syracuse losing to Colgate.

The Orange have some baaaaad losses.
Seems to me they'd have to close the season 8-1 then have to win at least 2 games in the ACC Tourney.
So being 21-13 probably gets them in.

Beating Duke would be a gigantic upset.
Akin to something that could never happen.
Like Syracuse losing to Colgate.

Yep. We need to be 17-11 or 16-12 going into Duke, then beat Duke... to even get on the bubble. From there gotta finish 1-1 then win at least 2 in the ACCT and pray the bubble is God awful weak.

Haha, I see what you're doing there.
Honestly I wasn’t going for anything beyond this league is worse than I’ve ever seen an ACC/Big East in my time as an SU fan. And as weak as we are, realistically 8 of the last 9 games are winnable.

Highly unlikely because we seem squarely in the middle of the pack with all those types of teams this year, but you never know.

We don't have a chance unless we don't lose until the ACCT title game. Even then I don't think it is happening. We have way too many bad losses.

And if we get that far we might as well get the auto-bid.

I am sure Virginia Tech fans feel the same way. In their case it is more believable.
Of course. But I don’t care about them - purely looking at this as an Orange homer.

I know we aren’t good, but if I didn’t think we could beat a 12-10 team, well….I won’t even be following this anymore, if it gets to that point.

Two issues. Yes, those are winnable games BUT Cuse kinda stinks too lol. As far as getting to the bubble, the terrible losses are probably going to be too much to overcame. The Pitt, GTown, Colgate losses are such a glaring knock on their resume.

I know that we typically view BC as a patsy / easy wins, but they've played competitively this year. I don't think those games are "gimmes" by any means.

Not saying that we CAN'T win both, just that they might be tougher than some realize.

Can someone explain why there’s such a difference in KenPom and BartTorviks metrics?

Also we should still beat VPI if we are improving. Wake demolished then on their home court and NC State gave them a game.

losing to Colgate and Georgetown alone put us on life support, we have to win pretty much every game left and then do some damage in the ACC Tourney

losing to Colgate and Georgetown alone put us on life support, we have to win pretty much every game left and then do some damage in the ACC Tourney
If we win every game left we would be 20-11 with wins over UNC, Duke, Miami, and Notre Dame on the road. I have a hard time believing we would be left out of a tournament with 68 teams.

Can we? Sure, anything is possible.

My positive guess is 3-2. If we went 4-1, we should throw a party.

Re the tourney, I'm just assuming the only way in is the conference tourney. Have Duke get knocked off early somehow and maybe one other high seed and then let it be a free for all.

We shot almost 60% from the floor and from three last night and barely won. I just don't think we can rip off a significant winning streak. We are just sooo bad on defense and it's just not reasonable to expect the same kind of shooting every single game (yes, we'll have a few games in there where we're NBA Jam style hitting buckets), but I'm not sure how we get there in reality.

BUT, with that said, we're going to keep chucking and some wild stuff will definitely happen when we do that.

Can you imagine how mad the ACC fans will be if we ripped off a title in the ACCT after being like a game under .500 in the regular season?

Can someone explain why there’s such a difference in KenPom and BartTorviks metrics?

Also we should still beat VPI if we are improving. Wake demolished then on their home court and NC State gave them a game.
NC St inexplicably beat them at VT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom