The real dilemma would be next year.. | Syracusefan.com

The real dilemma would be next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Mod
JB has earned a mulligan year after 44 years coaching here. The real difficult decision is what do you do if we have back to back losing seasons with no end in sight, and Buddy entering his Sr. year.

I just fear this could get really ugly.

JB has earned a mulligan year after 44 years coaching here. The real difficult decision is what do you do if we have back to back losing seasons with no end in sight, and Buddy entering his Sr. year.

See that is why I created the post I did.
Giving him a mulligan is fine if people believe next year could be better.
Our recruiting class isn’t even addressing our weaknesses.
We have no big who can be immediate contributors.
If Hughes leaves then it’s not happening.
If this AD lets Buddy Boeheim being on this roster effect JB’s status he is putting JB above the program.

I’m not sure why Buddy should enter into the equation. Is that all JB really wants, to walk off the court with his son on senior night in March 2022?

Wondering if Buddy will have his degree prior to what would be his senior season.

Do you honestly see any upside for next season? Let’s say Hughes is gone... with the way player development has gone over the last 5 or 6 years do you think the returning members of the team will make large jumps in playing ability and production? I don’t see a lot of high ceiling players. And I don’t think efficiency will improve because the offensive scheme is borderline non-existent. Shooting percentage is as much a function of shot quality as it is shooting form and mechanics.

This^^^
Im more worried about the aftermath of this season then the season itself, not only if he insists on staying because of Buddy, but if he has demands as to who takes over as his heir apparent.
Will Wildhack give in or defy the legend/HOFer/architect of the program?
And just how nasty would JB or the SU admin be willing to get? Trying times ahead.

Jake, it is over. This is 2002 in Football terms.

We've been spoiled as a fan base. We had not landed on the Moon yet when the last SU team was this bad. JB needs to do the right thing.

People keep saying this. It's going to get really ugly. Tell us what ugly is. Torches and Pitchforks Night at the Dome? I'm genuinely curious.

Think about some of JB’s worst moments in press conferences. Now add the pressure of a losing season and questions about his player son.
That kind of ugly

Do you honestly see any upside for next season? Let’s say Hughes is gone... with the way player development has gone over the last 5 or 6 years do you think the returning members of the team will make large jumps in playing ability and production? I don’t see a lot of high ceiling players. And I don’t think efficiency will improve because the offensive scheme is borderline non-existent. Shooting percentage is as much a function of shot quality as it is shooting form and mechanics.

Zero offensive scheme + a dip in recruiting + lesser talent = disaster.

In the words of the immortal Michael Ray Richardson: “the ship be sinking”.

It’s already gotten really ugly.

It happened so fast, in 7 days I've gone from "y'all are nuts, they're not very good but this is an 18-13 type team, no way Boeheim ever has a losing record" to "better than a 50/50 chance this team won't get above .500 again this year."

It's really sad, I feel bad for Boeheim as well, despite his rote and generally obnoxious press conference lines.

It happened so fast, in 7 days I've gone from "y'all are nuts, they're not very good but this is an 18-13 type team, no way Boeheim ever has a losing record" to "better than a 50/50 chance this team won't get above .500 again this year."

It's really sad, I feel bad for Boeheim as well, despite his rote and generally obnoxious press conference lines.

When the end comes, it always seems like it’s happening so fast, but that’s only because the slow, steady decline is always ignored, right until the end, when you fall off a cliff.

Last edited:

My thoughts too. Flipping out over a bad season with a lot of young players is probably a bit melodramatic (and believe me, I’m flipping out so I’m not pointing any fingers). I also think these young guys have a chance to improve headed into next year so who knows. But if it’s brutal again next year it gets ugly because as much as we’ll see 9 million ‘I told you JB should have been fired’ and ‘wildhack doesn’t have the stones to pull the plug’ and ‘see this is what happens when you don’t have top 50 players’ type posts — there is almost no way wildhack can really fire JB without a complete mess on his hands. It’s going to be very painful to watch I think.

I am not sure what worse would even look like because these last 3 games have been pretty awful. Keeping JB just because of Buddy is a massive mistake.

It’s already gotten really ugly.
I had great seats didn’t even go and after holiday weekend was hard to find anybody to take them. That said, had more free tickets offered to me today. It’s pretty depressing honestly.

I had Great seats didn’t even go and after holiday weekend was hard to find anybody to take them. That said had more free tickets offered to me today. It’s pretty depressing honestly.

Yeah. With twins on the way next spring and money already tight, I don’t see us making it out to the Dome this year unless we’re offered freebies, which is a really sad state of affairs for the HakAttack household.

Yeah. With twins on the way next spring and money already tight, I don’t see us making it out to the Dome this year unless we’re offered freebies, which is a really sad state of affairs for the HakAttack household.
Only time I go is when I get freebies, and there ain't no way I'm spending my limited time to see this product.

Think about some of JB’s worst moments in press conferences. Now add the pressure of a losing season and questions about his player son.
That kind of ugly

Then the AD needs to step in and do the right thing.

When the end comes, it always seems like it’s happening so fast, but that’s only because the slow, steep decline is always ignored, right until the end.
We’ve been on a steady slow dissent for the last 5 years. The 2016 Final Four miracle run just gave us all false hopes that we clung to for a few years.

Remember, JB was supposed to retire by now. This was supposed to be year 2 of Hop’s tenure.

That’s looking like a massive mistake right now.

As I stated earlier this year is the bottom. The 2 guys we have coming in next year are prototype SU players, Hopefully we can bring in another big man this spring.

This team is a team full of role players, we have nobody they requires a double team and a couple of guys who don't need to be guarded.

When the end comes, it always seems like it’s happening so fast, but that’s only because the slow, steep decline is always ignored, right until the end.

I guess but sanctions, a couple key recruiting misses (which happen sometimes), a steady stream of early nba departures, the awkward situation with Hop, the move to the ACC (which I don’t think helps basketball in any way), and the drastic change in the way the game is played have all contributed as well. I’m not making excuses or saying it hasn’t been ugly for a few years but there were other factors at play that didn’t help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom