The real dilemma would be next year.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The real dilemma would be next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we brought our entire starting 5 back from the previous season. The only P5 team to do so and the team underachieved.

No way 70% of the P5 would sign JB up for 3 years.
We have been mediocre the last 5 years in the regular season. We won some tournament games in 2016 and 2018 but that doesn’t change the fact we have been mediocre in regular season.
We haven’t had a pure PG since Tyler Ennis.
We haven’t a legit post presence since Rak Christmas.

The brand of basketball we play is slow, ugly, grinding basketball.
It’s not sanctions either.

What's odd about the slow offense is usually you have a big man that can score and is the reason why it's a slow offense. It's slow because these guys just dribble until they get stopped are forced to pass and then the next guy does the same until he chucks one up and no one on SU can grab an offensive rebound and if they do grab an offensive rebound they fire a shot up from odd angles.

My big question is: How much of this offense is JB's and if anyone on this staff is content with this type of "flow" or does the staff chomp at the bit and want to change this hodge podge offense?

Add to this the defense can't rebound and the guards are slow and don't deflect anything.

That’s what I’m referring to.
Um what's the shock. The precedent for this ending poorly is well documented, why are we acting surprised it's happening?

Since we went big where we play the wings of the zone up towards the 3pt line in 09-10, Hughes is the first guard to play any real minutes at the bottom of the zone.
From the 09-10 team though the 13-14 team we played long at every position. Ennis at 6'-3" was the shortest player to get minutes. Mike G is taller than Hughes.

Buddy is the only tall guard we have right now (I still want Hughes to move to the top of the zone)

Kardary is 6'-5" some have him listed at 6'-6". You put him on the top of the zone it changes the whole zone.

Newton is a 6'-8" wing with length who is not a project or from Canada, or Europe. He is from MD playing on a elite prep team.

Ladies and gentlemen this is not Football a couple of players can turn a bad team to decent team, we will need a quality big to be a great team lets see what the spring signing period brings.
I hate to bring up transfers but out of 700+ kids that transfer each season maybe Cuse can find one or two productive players for next season. Maybe Jimmy Boeheim graduates this year from Cornell. Who knows. But you think he would help the team.

I hope this is a joke...
I guess you missed the 25 pts he threw up against us. How many kids his size do we have that can score and rebound.

No. I think it gets worse next year, but I think the school would look harsh firing him, and I don’t think he’s stepping down.

The only upside I envision-- and I admit that this is a stretch -- would be for Boeheim to do the following:
  • Reign in the Girard / PG experiment, and turn the ball over to Goodine
  • Start Guerrier and give him starters minutes
  • Shift Hughes to the 2, since Buddy isn't making shots
  • Play Braswell at the 3

At least that group would have athletic upside, more side, better rebounding, and better defensive potential. But I don't see three of those things occurring -- our coach is stubborn and would rather ride or die with the current lineup.

Last edited:
I guess you missed the 25 pts he threw up against us. How many kids his size do we have that can score and rebound.
It was his best game of the year and he might more unathletic than Buddy. Jimmy would be fine as a grad transfer and 8th man on one of our really good and athletic teams. But I have a feeling right now if he came we’d see a lot of Buddy and Jimmy, which only would be good for the Boeheim family

The only upside I envision-- and I admit that this is a stretch -- would be for Boeheim to do the following:
  • Play Braswell at the 3

At least that group would have athletic upside. But I don't see three of those things occurring -- our coach is stubborn and would rather ride or die with the current lineup.
What's your starting lineup? Mine would be JG3, Hughes, QG, Marek and Sid. Are you looking to sit Marek or Sid? It's tough but I agree with putting Hughes at the 2 and starting QG. Who's minutes are Braswell going to take? One issue this year is that guys are coming off the bench and not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully JAB figures it out before ACC play.

What's your starting lineup? Mine would be JG3, Hughes, QG, Marek and Sid. Are you looking to sit Marek or Sid? It's tough but I agree with putting Hughes at the 2 and starting QG. Who's minutes are Braswell going to take? One issue this year is that guys are coming off the bench and not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully JAB figures it out before ACC play.

Goodine, Hughes, Braswell, Guerrier, Sid.

Marek, Buddy, and Girard to the bench.

The real difficult decision is what do you do if we have back to back losing seasons with no end in sight, and Buddy entering his Sr. year.

Honestly, if keeping JB/Buddy paired up is factoring into Wildhack's decision in any way, shape or form, he shouldn't be the SU Athletic Director.

It’s a joke the HC’s future is tied to a decent player on the team.
That is the very definition player over program.
Next year’s recruiting class doesn’t address our problems.
Our player development is poor I honestly don’t believe JB will play the guys this year to improve them for next. He is going to give the minutes to who he things can win each game.

Do we honestly believe we will have a top 25 team before Buddy graduates?

It was his best game of the year and he might more unathletic than Buddy. Jimmy would be fine as a grad transfer and 8th man on one of our really good and athletic teams. But I have a feeling right now if he came we’d see a lot of Buddy and Jimmy, which only would be good for the Boeheim family
Watching Jimmy, I think he is a lot more athletic than Buddy. I just think he could be an experienced role player coming in.

Honestly, if keeping JB/Buddy paired up is factoring into Wildhack's decision in any way, shape or form, he shouldn't be the SU Athletic Director.
How isn’t it though?
JB isn’t getting fired nor should he but who honestly doesn’t believe his son’s presence isn’t affecting his own decisions.

Goodine, Hughes, Braswell, Guerrier, Sid.

Marek, Buddy, and Girard to the bench.
My opinion and 25 cents will get you a quarter to throw into a wishing well... however I would love to see this lineup. The team as currently structured is not athletic enough to compete with “p5” hoops teams. At least your proposed lineup injected some athleticism.

• Play Braswell at the 3

At least that group would have athletic upside, more side, better rebounding, and better defensive potential. But I don't see three of those things occurring -- our coach is stubborn and would rather ride or die with the current lineup.

We should have figured this out in August since you know we went to Italy(what a complete waste of time looking back). I think it would be just as bad, probably worse. You could sell me on Hughes as the PG, but Goodine is worse than Girard from what I've watched.

Braswell being parked on the bench shouldn't happen. The kid has legit James Southerland upside.

Last edited:
You guys are funny, we aren't being held hostage by Buddy. JB's tenure is not about Buddy. It's about the timeline that JB has established for himself and the fact that so far SU is willing to allow him to set the timeline. SU's decision is not out of any consideration for Buddy...it's entirely out of respect for JB and the contributions he's made to the University and the alliances and relationships he has with those making and influencing decisions on such matters.

Everyone acts like JB has made a formal statement that he is going to retire when Buddy leaves. I wouldn't be at all surprised that if this continues to spiral downwards, JB will become more resolute to stay on until he gets the ship righted.

JB will see this turn around through and leave the program fully stocked with solid talent for the next coach. He does not shrink from challenges like this. He is giving the bench players PT and that will start showing fruit this season.

Here’s the problem...JB gets the door and his kid stays. Who wants that job? (People would but not the right people )

We should have figured this out in August since you know we went to Italy(what a complete waste of time lookingback). I think it would be just as bad, probably worse. You could sell me on Hughes as the PG, but Goodine is worse than Girard from what I've watched.

Braswell being parked on the bench shouldn't happen. The kid has legit James Southerland upside.

Or maybe he doesn't and that's why he's not playing. Southerland was essentially a 7th or 8th man until his 4th year in the program and that was with a much more talented rotation in front of him that helped him to suceed in that role until he was ready to assume more of the burden. We have a lot of guys that need to be playing support roles, unfortunately there is no one on the roster for them to support so they all need to step up into more prominent roles that they simply aren't talented enough to thrive in at this point in their development, if ever.

JB has been making adjustments, albeit small ones...... For instance, only Hughes played more than 30 minutes last night. Very possible that all the frantic suggestions we throw out really aren't solutions or even improvements, just different.

I think this is simply a poor collection of players and there is no way to fix it, short of signing some free agent walk-ons.

Last edited:
JB has earned a mulligan year after 44 years coaching here. The real difficult decision is what do you do if we have back to back losing seasons with no end in sight, and Buddy entering his Sr. year.

I just fear this could get really ugly.

Does he get a mulligan for 2015-2018 too? He doesn’t deserve to coach anymore.

Braswell at the two for transition on both ends with a well rested Girard (30 mpg).
Howard/Goodine(only at point) with Buddy for 7-10 min.

Braswell, Guerrier and Dolezaj each get 2 attempts at threeball/midrange jumper. A third if they make one. lol
Run Braswell, Guerrier and Dolezaj in transition sprinting drills in practice. No 3rd guard who can score.
Our press is worthless without a shot blocker in the back, this answers all 3 of those problems, and rests Girard.

Nobody outside Dolezaj has to worry about more than one position. Hughes has enough on his plate already.

Last edited:
Since we went big where we play the wings of the zone up towards the 3pt line in 09-10, Hughes is the first guard to play any real minutes at the bottom of the zone.
From the 09-10 team though the 13-14 team we played long at every position. Ennis at 6'-3" was the shortest player to get minutes. Mike G is taller than Hughes.

Buddy is the only tall guard we have right now (I still want Hughes to move to the top of the zone)

Kardary is 6'-5" some have him listed at 6'-6". You put him on the top of the zone it changes the whole zone.

Newton is a 6'-8" wing with length who is not a project or from Canada, or Europe. He is from MD playing on a elite prep team.

Ladies and gentlemen this is not Football a couple of players can turn a bad team to decent team, we will need a quality big to be a great team lets see what the spring signing period brings.

That takes us from an under .500 team to a bubble team. That still is not good enough.

• Play Braswell at the 3

A lot of people are clamoring for Goodine to play more... but I'm not sure why. Here is what Goodine has done so far in the limited minutes he's gotten this year:
  • 0-for-10 from 3-pt range
  • 8 assists against 12 turnovers
  • In 42 minutes against the top 4 opponents we've faced, he has 3 total points, 1 assist and 5 turnovers
Don't misunderstand me, I hope he improves and I'm not saying get rid of him or anything like that... but what is it that people are seeing with this guy that has them convinced that he's the answer? I'm genuinely curious to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom