The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)...

i don't get why it's offensive that there are some in the media who are disgusted by the mob mentality and are defending Greg Schiano the person. You are looking at him through the lens of goofy message board angst.

It's absurd what was done to this man on the basis of absurd Penn St hearsay, zero due process, etc. The Penn St situation was vetted to the end of the earth by Louis Freeh. If they had something on Greg Schiano he would have been dealt with. The situation had unlimited funds to find those responsible for abuse towards children.

I feel bad for Greg Schiano

Isn’t there proof? Thought the link everyone was posting makes it clear that he knew something was up and did nothing.

If that’s true - compassion is 1000% the wrong take.

We're going to get to a point where schools will just poll their twitter followers as to who should be in the final 5 of coaching candidates. There is a reason ADs are hired and they use consulting firms to vet out.

at end of day the public really has no clue who will make a good football coach b/c they aren't talking to peer coaches, high school coaches, etc to see who would fit the best at a school. The optics of certain guys will tickle the internet folk but it may not make the best candidate.

I don’t think this is right. Fans are nuts - but the consensus of the masses is built into the foundations of modern government all over the world. And fans probably pay more attention to football than politics, lol

The way that Tennessee caved to the fanbase is very disturbing and unsettling. Yes, you attend the games, but at the end of the day the university has to do what is in its best interests. Bringing up Sandusky is extremely petty being that the Volunteer fanbase doesn't give a damn about those kids. They just used it as an excuse to put a stop to a mediocre HC becoming the head of the program.

No spin. They want a better coach. They were already protesting before the Penn st link went public. Read the initial tweets and posts.
Exactly - he didn't fit what Vols fans wanted in their head coach. STaking the moral high ground is nice but Vols are no heroes here.

The way that Tennessee caved to the fanbase is very disturbing and unsettling. Yes, you attend the games, but at the end of the day the university has to do what is in its best interests. Bringing up Sandusky is extremely petty being that the Volunteer fanbase doesn't give a damn about those kids. They just used it as an excuse to put a stop to a mediocre HC becoming the head of the program.
how is hiring schiano and enraging your fans in your best interests

Why is catering to an enraged fan base disturbing?

You're going to let fans, many of which never attended the university and have no ties to it, impact day to day decisions? Good luck because now that you've given them an inch, they'll take a mile. Armchair ADs and Presidents need to stay in their lane. If he was successful, everyone would have been eating crow.

No one looks good here.

College athletics is totally off the rails. Honestly, if I hadn't gone to SU and instead went to a D-3 type school, I'd probably be 100% in favor of blowing it all up.

I went to SU and I'm already at the point where I believe major college athletics should be torn down and built back up in a better, smaller model. Won't happen. That genie is never going back in the bottle.

The Herbstreit/Wetzel/Thamel mafia spinning and defending Schiano are just as pathetic as the mob they criticize.

Fans pay the bills. These turds don’t pay anything and obviously have Schiano’s agent feeding them crap.

No they aren't. The fans need to realize that it is just a game that does not impact you, especially if you didn't go to the school. Many of you don't like the latter, but it is true. If you didn't care for the sports teams, would you care about the overall welfare of the university? No. In all the years I've followed college sports, I've never seen a reaction like this.

We're going to get to a point where schools will just poll their twitter followers as to who should be in the final 5 of coaching candidates. There is a reason ADs are hired and they use consulting firms to vet out.

at end of day the public really has no clue who will make a good football coach b/c they aren't talking to peer coaches, high school coaches, etc to see who would fit the best at a school. The optics of certain guys will tickle the internet folk but it may not make the best candidate.
I think there may have been booster pushback behind the scenes. Just IMO.

You're going to let fans, many of which never attended the university and have no ties to it, impact day to day decisions? Good luck because now that you've given them an inch, they'll take a mile. Armchair ADs and Presidents need to stay in their lane. If he was successful, everyone would have been eating crow.

Hiring a football coach isn't a day-to-day decision.

The university screwed up and the fanbase wasn’t having it. I see nothing surprising here.
I simply want to add that everything I have seen or read about schiano tells me he is a grade a POS. Glad to see him get dragged through the mud.

Wish every coach gave him a piece of his mind the way Coughlin did.

Hiring a football coach isn't a day-to-day decision.

Move the goalposts again. Booster money would have paid him, not taxpayer dollars. Tennessee athletics has more than enough money to where they don't dip into the taxpayer slush fund like the academic side does.

Lets be honest if the donors go and they cant sell seats, you have to do something.....wheres the money going to come from??

This is the SEC, where money rules and football is God, the inmates run the asylum...

Freeh did not have subpoena power - I doubt we know half the story or how many unidentified others knew about it. Given the long term coverup and the intensity of many to protect Paterno and PSt, there are probably many more.

i don't get why it's offensive that there are some in the media who are disgusted by the mob mentality and are defending Greg Schiano the person. You are looking at him through the lens of goofy message board angst.

It's absurd what was done to this man on the basis of absurd Penn St hearsay, zero due process, etc. The Penn St situation was vetted to the end of the earth by Louis Freeh. If they had something on Greg Schiano he would have been dealt with. The situation had unlimited funds to find those responsible for abuse towards children.

I feel bad for Greg Schiano

Move the goalposts again. Booster money would have paid him, not taxpayer dollars. Tennessee athletics has more than enough money to where they don't dip into the taxpayer slush fund like the academic side does.

Who cares who pays him?

A tone deaf AD is awful for an athletic department. And I was just quoting your words that the riffraff needs to stay out of day-to-day decisions.

Fans rising up and calling out tone deaf administrators is a wonderful thing.

No they aren't. The fans need to realize that it is just a game that does not impact you, especially if you didn't go to the school. Many of you don't like the latter, but it is true. If you didn't care for the sports teams, would you care about the overall welfare of the university? No. In all the years I've followed college sports, I've never seen a reaction like this.
You have obviously never attended a large state university or lived in a state that supports a large state university. People that never went to college or had a relative ever go to college wear their clothes, go to their games and live vicariously through them. Similar to if the only people going to SU games were alumni and current students the Dome would be EMPTY.

From what I read on our board, Haslam (Mr. Flying J) was not only pushing for Schiano, but was also behind the Derek Dooley hire.

Is the Mike McQueary deposition the only link that Schiano has to the Sandusky scandal? Or did anyone else implicate him. I can only find these few lines that are referenced everywhere.

For a reference, the transcript is below:

---------------------------------------

A: [Bradley] said another assistant coach had come to him in the early ‘90s about a very similar situation to mine, and he said that he had—someone had come to him as far back as early as the ‘80s about seeing Jerry Sandusky doing something with a boy.

Q: Did he identify who the other coaches were that had given him this information?

A: The one in the early ‘90s, yes.

Q: And who was that?

A: Greg Schiano.

Q: Greg Schiano?

A: Yes.

Q: And did he give you any details about what Coach Schiano had reported to him?

A: No, only that he had—I can’t remember if it was one night or one morning, but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.

You have obviously never attended a large state university or lived in a state that supports a large state university. People that never went to college or had a relative ever go to college wear their clothes, go to their games and live vicariously through them. Similar to if the only people going to SU games were alumni and current students the Dome would be EMPTY.

You think I care about what you or locals do? Get a life outside of vicariously living through kids.

Is the Mike McQueary deposition the only link that Schiano has to the Sandusky scandal? Or did anyone else implicate him. I can only find these few lines that are referenced everywhere.

For a reference, the transcript is below:

A: [Bradley] said another assistant coach had come to him in the early ‘90s about a very similar situation to mine, and he said that he had—someone had come to him as far back as early as the ‘80s about seeing Jerry Sandusky doing something with a boy.

Q: Did he identify who the other coaches were that had given him this information?

A: The one in the early ‘90s, yes.

Q: And who was that?

A: Greg Schiano.

Q: Greg Schiano?

A: Yes.

Q: And did he give you any details about what Coach Schiano had reported to him?

A: No, only that he had—I can’t remember if it was one night or one morning, but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.

Thats the only thing. He was never proven to have been involved. The Freeh report cleared his name. This was also in a civil proceeding, not criminal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom