The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)...

Honestly they should have let him coach the damn team before paying him $20 mill in a buyout. The bad PR would have died down...lol. Look at PSU football and the bad PR they got and it went away in short order. I don't like the guy but UT screwed this up royally from a "business perspective"

Honestly they should have let him coach the damn team before paying him $20 mill in a buyout. The bad PR would have died down...lol. Look at PSU football and the bad PR they got and it went away in short order. I don't like the guy but UT screwed this up royally from a "business perspective"
The bad P.R. wasn't why the fans didn't want him. They don't like him as coach and this was the perfect excuse to run him out of town.

The bad P.R. wasn't why the fans didn't want him. They don't like him as coach and this was the perfect excuse to run him out of town.
It was the bad PR from his days at Penn St. Let's not try to spin this

It was the bad PR from his days at Penn St. Let's not try to spin this
No spin. They want a better coach. They were already protesting before the Penn st link went public. Read the initial tweets and posts.

He would have looked great in that burnt orange helicopter lol ... Enjoying every bit of this drama because it doesn't impact our team!!!
Burnt orange is Texas. Tennessee's is a sissy yellowish creamsicle orange. It's supposedly based on a local flower.

Last edited:
i believe the fans just did not want him and used the sandusky situation as as the most viable avenue to prevent his hiring. i'm not a schiano fan, as he was all smoke and mirrors at rutgers. the main reason i don't care for him is he shut us out of nj recruiting. he was a bad football gameday coach but good d coordinator and recruiter.
by dragging up the sandusky affair the fan behavior reminds me of the town coming out with pitchforks or a lynch mob. i believe they exploited a horrible situation rather than address the reality of schiano's true lack of head coaching ability.
there is only 1 person who could have forced the issue of sandusky and that was paterno. he he had more power at penn state than anyone.
joe placed football above of all else.

i believe the fans just did not want him and used the sandusky situation as as the most viable avenue to prevent his hiring. i'm not a schiano fan, as he was all smoke and mirrors at rutgers. the main reason i don't care for him is he shut us out of nj recruiting. he was a bad football gameday coach but good d coordinator and recruiter.
by dragging up the sandusky affair the fan behavior reminds me of the town coming out with pitchforks or a lynch mob. i believe they exploited a horrible situation rather than address the reality of schiano's true lack of head coaching ability.
there is only 1 person who could have forced the issue of sandusky and that was paterno. he he had more power at penn state than anyone.
joe placed football above of all else.

This is not a good story bc internet mob won. I act think Schiano would have done a good job there. I know it’s not popular but I think the penn st situation being used is disgusting here. Schiano actually denied it as well. He was never brought up on charges. He will get another job for sure bc he has backers in high places who respect him.

The moral bs here is insane as well as the Rutgers delusion. Fact is Rutgers took advantage of a down Syracuse and he exploited it. It wasn’t perfect but he did turn the perception of Rutgers around and prob can be thanked ultimately for big 10 invite

Wow...

If true, stunningly poor job, and a fireable offense. Most schools hire search firms - did UT do this? If so, did Currie not read the entire report? Or was UT too good to rely on a search firm?

No matter what, if he worked for me, he wouldn't be working for me later than this afternoon.

If true, stunningly poor job, and a fireable offense. Most schools hire search firms - did UT do this? If so, did Currie not read the entire report? Or was UT too good to rely on a search firm?

No matter what, if he worked for me, he wouldn't be working for me later than this afternoon.

Especially in the age of George O'Leary resume issues and you don't know he worked at Penn State? I'm having trouble believing this one but it may be true...

The rewrite of history by some national CFB writers on the Schiano era at Rutgers is incredible. You would think Schiano brought them to multiple conference titles with the way some have gone to bat for him. The bottom line is that he had one pretty good team ('06) which resulted in a trip to the Texas Bowl (tied for 2nd in the BE) In the 5 years following that signature season, he parlayed it into absolutely nothing higher than a 3rd place finish.

He was largely lauded mainly for having the good fortune of immediately following an incompetent like Terry Shea, and doing so with a schedule filled with glorified HS teams OOC. People forget that the years prior to Shea, Rutgers was largely a .500 type of team under Graber etc.

One of the most overrated head football coaches of our lifetime (and an absolute AHole to boot). Well done by UT fans to raise such hell and get this nixed (if it does in fact get nixed). They can do a lot better.

The national college football media defending Schiano is a joke. The notion that no coach would coach there is a joke. The next coach will look like a hero to that fan base. And as long as they aren’t tainted by JoePa and as long as they don’t have a history of going for knees when the other team is in the victory formation, then I don’t think there will be a problem.

Schiano is getting 20 million.
Wow that is you money.
This is delicious.

There are also reports that Greg was intimidated by the response and walked away.

The national college football media defending Schiano is a joke. The notion that no coach would coach there is a joke. The next coach will look like a hero to that fan base. And as long as they aren’t tainted by JoePa and as long as they don’t have a history of going for knees when the other team is in the victory formation, then I don’t think there will be a problem.

i don't get why it's offensive that there are some in the media who are disgusted by the mob mentality and are defending Greg Schiano the person. You are looking at him through the lens of goofy message board angst.

It's absurd what was done to this man on the basis of absurd Penn St hearsay, zero due process, etc. The Penn St situation was vetted to the end of the earth by Louis Freeh. If they had something on Greg Schiano he would have been dealt with. The situation had unlimited funds to find those responsible for abuse towards children.

I feel bad for Greg Schiano

The national writers completely missed on Schiano. He really did have so many people fooled. If they weren't being lazy, they could simply go back over his time at Rutgers and see that he simply brought them back to what they were historically. A .500 football team. He was fortunate enough to be the guy who cleaned up after Terry Shea.

He parlayed his one good team into what exactly? He had everyone fooled. And now the media is giving him the sympathy treatment because the UT fans were mean to him? Gimme a break. UT fans did themselves a major favor, and they'll ultimately end up with someone much better than Greg Schiano as their head football coach. BTW, John Currie should be fired for ever having went this route. A terrible misstep. Greg Schiano should be hireable at one school, and we all know where that is.

I didn't realize the Haslams (Browns and Flying J owner) swung such a big stick at UT, a lot are blaming him for having the AD in his pocket and making the call......I guess its good and bad when their is a big booster paying the bills at the school...I also didn't realize Haslams brother was the governor...

No one is safe in this debacle, they are now saying the golden boy Peyton Manning backed the Shady Schiano hire...

By the end of the day today Currie their AD will be gone.....looks like three choices for head coach there now, Tee Martin (who I didn't realize was the OC at USAC), Brohm or surprisingly some want Kiffin back....

Based on posts at Volnation, not sure how much credibility this guy has.
Probably as accurate as we'll get. He is the most respected and even keeled sports talk guy in the area.

The national writers completely missed on Schiano. He really did have so many people fooled. If they weren't being lazy, they could simply go back over his time at Rutgers and see that he simply brought them back to what they were historically. A .500 football team. He was fortunate enough to be the guy who cleaned up after Terry Shea.

He parlayed his one good team into what exactly? He had everyone fooled. And now the media is giving him the sympathy treatment because the UT fans were mean to him? Gimme a break. UT fans did themselves a major favor, and they'll ultimately end up with someone much better than Greg Schiano as their head football coach. BTW, John Currie should be fired for ever having went this route. A terrible misstep. Greg Schiano should be hireable at one school, and we all know where that is.
Bingo
The Tennessee fans were smart. They knew the guy was a horrible coach who took Rutgers from a 3 win team to a 6 win team once Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College left the Big East for the ACC.
People feeling bad for him are so laughable. He isn’t Bill Snyder who took over a dead Kansas State program.
Rutgers actually has talent in their backyard he made them medicore.

Hell Randy Edsall took over a new D1 school with less talent than Schiano at Rutgers and accomplished more at UConn.

Tennessee fans bravo. Greg Schiano doesn’t deserve a good job based on his time at Rutgers.

most of what you say is exactly right. however what they did to schiano was not mean, it is criminal. everyone in the fan base, including the politicians are mindless, re: their assault on this man.
they are a disgrace to college football, a disgrace as an "alleged" academic institution, and ignorant. they are as bad as the penn state cult.
just mho.
attack his lack of real success as a coach.

i don't get why it's offensive that there are some in the media who are disgusted by the mob mentality and are defending Greg Schiano the person. You are looking at him through the lens of goofy message board angst.

It's absurd what was done to this man on the basis of absurd Penn St hearsay, zero due process, etc. The Penn St situation was vetted to the end of the earth by Louis Freeh. If they had something on Greg Schiano he would have been dealt with. The situation had unlimited funds to find those responsible for abuse towards children.

I feel bad for Greg Schiano
On the other hand. McQuery is the only character involved in the Ped State scandal who is believable. He seems to he the only guy to do the right thing.

Frankly, I believe him. Schiano is nit exactly a towering ethical giant.

Let this be a warning to college coaches every where that failure to report criminal activity will haunt you forever.

most of what you say is exactly right. however what they did to schiano was not mean, it is criminal. everyone in the fan base, including the politicians are mindless, re: their assault on this man.
they are a disgrace to college football, a disgrace as an "alleged" academic institution, and ignorant. they are as bad as the penn state cult.
just mho.
I think it started that way and when they found the Penn St. connection, they used it to there advantage. It was strategic, even if it wasn't ethical.

just mho.

it was pizzagate-esque. Donald Trump impact in college football.

I'm ok w questioning Greg as a coach. I happen to think he's not as bad as everyone here thinks. I have seen guys who i thought were atrocious finally figure it out at their 3rd shot (Pete Carroll comes to mind). If the coaches who actually have worked w the guy think he's pretty good, it's worth another shot. I totally understand the critiques for his body of work but to use Penn St as the reason, is outrageous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom