The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The Shady to Tennessee thread (it was fun while it lasted)...

On the other hand. McQuery is the only character involved in the Ped State scandal who is believable. He seems to he the only guy to do the right thing.

Frankly, I believe him. Schiano is nit exactly a towering ethical giant.

Let this be a warning to college coaches every where that failure to report criminal activity will haunt you forever.

U understand he overheard Bradley talking about what Schiano saw (and Schiano has refuted). It's like two levels of hearsay.

If that is the standard to destroy a guy's credibility we have lost as a society

U understand he overheard Bradley talking about what Schiano saw (and Schiano has refuted). It's like two levels of hearsay.

If that is the standard to destroy a guy's credibility we have lost as a society
Yes, I do understand that. But I believe McQuery and not Bradley or Schiano. I don't believe McQuery made it up. He has no reason to lie under oath. Bradley and Schiano do.

On the other hand. McQuery is the only character involved in the Ped State scandal who is believable. He seems to he the only guy to do the right thing.

Let this be a warning to college coaches every where that failure to report criminal activity will haunt you forever.

And yet, McQueery can't get a coaching job. I would welcome hit at SU.

i don't get why it's offensive that there are some in the media who are disgusted by the mob mentality and are defending Greg Schiano the person. You are looking at him through the lens of goofy message board angst.

It's absurd what was done to this man on the basis of absurd Penn St hearsay, zero due process, etc. The Penn St situation was vetted to the end of the earth by Louis Freeh. If they had something on Greg Schiano he would have been dealt with. The situation had unlimited funds to find those responsible for abuse towards children.

I feel bad for Greg Schiano

How exactly was Schiano vetted when the deposition transcript in the McQuearey case naming Schiano wasn't made public until a Washington Post report in July 2016?

The "Schiano was vetted" pushers really have their timeline mixed up, or simply don't care about the timeline.

Freeh was a private investigator. He had no subpoena power. No one was under oath when they spoke to him. It was all voluntary and paid for by Penn State. McQuearey was under oath when he offered that testimony. That holds a lot of weight to me.

This.

While I don't think the UT fans were really concerned about the PSU events, they used it as a means to an end. And while that may be unfair, I the events at PSU SHOULD follow those people around. I believe Sandusky was a predator, and I believe everyone around him knew it. They chose to look the other way. We will never know the extent to which people knew and what they knew. Even McQueary was was just covering his ass by not calling the police. But I believe people knew. And if Shady was there, then he knew. And people like him didn't speak out then and they're not speaking out now because it may hurt their image or career. No sympathy.

Regardless of how you feel about Schiano...wow, who will ever want to coach that ****show of a program here on out?

Currie has to go, but I think the vast majority of the outrage is from people who just genuinely didn't want a sub 500 coach who couldn't manage a disease outbreak in his locker room and may have covered up child abuse.

Good for Tennessee fans. The national media is a joke right now defending Schiano. There's are reason his name hasn't come up for any jobs. No one wants him.

Regardless of how you feel about Schiano...wow, who will ever want to coach that ****show of a program here on out?
I think it's great. Since moving here, I've grown to hate UT, mostly because of the delusional entitled fanbase. Every Saturday I root for SU and whoever is playing against UT.

Currie has to go, but I think the vast majority of the outrage is from people who just genuinely didn't want a sub 500 coach who couldn't manage a disease outbreak in his locker room and may have covered up child abuse.

Good for Tennessee fans. The national media is a joke right now defending Schiano. There's are reason his name hasn't come up for any jobs. No one wants him.

We're going to get to a point where schools will just poll their twitter followers as to who should be in the final 5 of coaching candidates. There is a reason ADs are hired and they use consulting firms to vet out.

at end of day the public really has no clue who will make a good football coach b/c they aren't talking to peer coaches, high school coaches, etc to see who would fit the best at a school. The optics of certain guys will tickle the internet folk but it may not make the best candidate.

We're going to get to a point where schools will just poll their twitter followers as to who should be in the final 5 of coaching candidates. There is a reason ADs are hired and they use consulting firms to vet out.

at end of day the public really has no clue who will make a good football coach b/c they aren't talking to peer coaches, high school coaches, etc to see who would fit the best at a school. The optics of certain guys will tickle the internet folk but it may not make the best candidate.
There is some reason to this, even with the sarcasm. AD's don't live in a vacuum and aren't infallible. You certainly don't poll fans about who you hire, but you're smart to listen to a landslide of opposition. The fans are the customer. A business that ignores their customer dies. Social media gives a voice to normal people that was only previously granted to wealthy boosters, who have always had influence.

It simple to me, the big donors didn't want this loser to be their coach because he's never won anything or accomplished anything ever. He's a boring retread. Once they found out they pulled the plug. Any mention of his time at PEDO State is just the Tenny admins trying to save face.

Last edited:
It was the bad PR from his days at Penn St. Let's not try to spin this

The fans didnt want him. They spun and found an obscure 1 liner in the testimony from 2 years ago that mentioned him. They used that to spin this into bad PR from PSU. But the ultimate motive was clear that the fans just didnt want schiano as a coach. It was nothing but mob warrior justice.

If Gruden had done the exact same thing, you wouldnt have heard a single word.

I didn't realize the Haslams (Browns and Flying J owner) swung such a big stick at UT, a lot are blaming him for having the AD in his pocket and making the call...I guess its good and bad when their is a big booster paying the bills at the school...I also didn't realize Haslams brother was the governor...

No one is safe in this debacle, they are now saying the golden boy Peyton Manning backed the Shady Schiano hire...

By the end of the day today Currie their AD will be gone...looks like three choices for head coach there now, Tee Martin (who I didn't realize was the OC at USAC), Brohm or surprisingly some want Kiffin back...

Oh yeah... Haslems are a HUGGE deal at Tenn. If im not mistaken, Flying J is HQ just south of downtown Knoxville.

Yea, lets not act like UT fans are all of a sudden the most noble of upstanding citizens. Like ATL said above, if Gruden was mentioned in the same capacity Schiano was in the cover up, UT fans would be cheering and defending.

There is some reason to this, even with the sarcasm. AD's don't live in a vacuum and aren't infallible. You certainly don't poll fans about who you hire, but you're smart to listen to a landslide of opposition. The fans are the customer. A business that ignores their customer dies. Social media gives a voice to normal people that was only previously granted to wealthy boosters, who have always had influence.

Actually, with a state university, i think the residents of Tennessee are the "customers" if that is even the right term. It's a weird scenario when you are dealing with a state employee at a non profit organization.

I think we're seeing the deconstruction of alot of "the way things were" society. I am shocked that the NCAA is still standing in these mob rule scenarios that are starting to show up more and more.

If they could have gotten Brohm from the get go they probably should have, crazy how this thing has blown up. Tee Martin and Kiffin might be only guys that will take job. Imagine if you have a decent HC gig right now and going home to your wife and kids and telling them you are taking the Tenn job, money is one thing but at what cost? good lord.

Tennessee people still stuck in the past, job other than a big payday isn't a very good one anymore, plain and simple. Case in point the hiring of Schiano

If they could have gotten Brohm from the get go they probably should have, crazy how this thing has blown up. Tee Martin and Kiffin might be only guys that will take job. Imagine have a decent HC gig right now and going home to your wife and kids and telling them you are taking the Tenn job, money is one thing but at what cost? good lord
Mike Leach will be the next Tennessee HC.
He doesn’t care.

One important job as an AD is not to hire a coach that will cause the fan base to do what Tennessee did. It's really not that hard to do.

It sounds like the Tennessee AD was completely tone deaf to what the fans have wanted for a long time.

Mike Leach will be the next Tennessee HC.
He doesn’t care.

He doesn't that is for sure and he loves the red headed step child but I cant see him leaving Pullman, he's a great fit up there and has momentum up there. I think he's a better fit at Miss St than Tenn. He would mine the JUCO's and likes those type places better, IMO.

Miss St fanbase seems more reasonable as well

I think it's a bit of hyperbole to say this has ruined his life. He's still DC at O$U, and if you believe reports, he's $20M richer. Even if that number is not correct, whatever he gets isn't chump change. Now, if he gets fired by O$U, and can never get another job (which seems unlikely), he's set for life. Hardly ruined, IMO. View attachment 116010
Yep it's like he hit the Tennessee lottery this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom