The supposed retirement plan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The supposed retirement plan

I could see JB retiring late in the offseason, so we're stuck hiring one of his assistants
If he does that, I respectfully say that he doesn't care about the program. We need to get this right, and we must entertain all options.

They can't announce it. If the next coach is coaching another team what is there to announce?

If they announce it will be an assistant fans are going to be furious and flip out.

There isn’t a member of the media that believes there was a plan either. They know….

Appreciate the info. I wonder if JB’s armor isn’t what it was and others in the media will follow suit and take shots at him this year, like Greenberg and Fran did.

Also, all due respect to those in the media, but if this wasn’t reported on, JB has been handled with kid gloves and/or maybe it’s just how irrelevant we’ve become. Don’t know. Just speculating.

Again, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

JAB should not make preseason predictions
- JG will average 20
- We will play man like we used to
- We will play 9-10 guys
- Mintz is like Johnny Flynn
- Best team we have had in a long time
- Team will score as much as last year just different ways
- Team gets a lot of deflections
- Colgate is the best team we will play this year against the zone
-Copeland can play the 1,2 & 3
- Mimntz is a pro (maybe some day)

JAB should not make preseason predictions
- JG will average 20
- We will play man like we used to
- We will play 9-10 guys
- Mintz is like Johnny Flynn
- Best team we have had in a long time
- Team will score as much as last year just different ways
- Team gets a lot of deflections
- Colgate is the best team we will play this year against the zone
-Copeland can play the 1,2 & 3
- Mimntz is a pro (maybe some day)
You can add best freshman class I ever had, we're a tournament team, Mintz is one of the best PGs I've ever coached, etc

I could see JB retiring late in the offseason, so we're stuck hiring one of his assistants

This seems like the most likely scenario to me if he has any say in the way he goes out. Like, 3 days before the first game of the 202X-202Y season.

I’m pretty confident this is his last year.

1) we are trending towards another losing season. Likely the worst season under Boeheim and it’s just been getting worse and worse the last 5 seasons. I think Wildhack politely nudges Boeheim out the door

2) Boeheim bought a $5 million dollar house on the lake this summer. Likely his retirement house

3) both his sons aren’t playing for him anymore

4) he got to 1,000 (officially) again so he reached that milestone

5) we have no recruits committed for next season which tells me they are likely telling the recruits he won’t be here next year and they aren’t sure who the coach is gonna be. There are a few recruits that I thought for sure were ours until a month or so from their decision when something changed and something tells me that’s it

I’m pretty confident this is Boeheim’s last
Same here

Appreciate the info. I wonder if JB’s armor isn’t what it was and others in the media will follow suit and take shots at him this year, like Greenberg and Fran did.

Also, all due respect to those in the media, but if this wasn’t reported on, JB has been handled with kid gloves and/or maybe it’s just how irrelevant we’ve become. Don’t know. Just speculating.

Again, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
I think the tipping point will be if Sean Mc Donagh or Bilas say something doing a game. But Sean doesn’t do much college BB anymore with his NHL responsibilities. Or if Sean or Jay tell him something privately. Heck, Sean sat with Julie and Jamie at the ACCT last year. I wonder if he'd call it quits if Coach K advised him to do so privately.

Last edited:
I think he could have pulled that off in prior years but with how this season is going and the likely outcome I don't think JB will be coach to long after the season ends.

The more JB senses the fans want him to retire, the longer he is going to stay. He's combative like that.
No doubt. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if his next public comments at a presser are along the lines of "I've read the ridiculous internet stuff and people don't know what they're talking about. We had a bad game but we're growing. I'm not going anywhere."

There isn’t a member of the media that believes there was a plan either. They know….
I get the access thing, but their job is to report. This is an enormous story. Why does no one have the stones to ask questions? It boggles my mind.

There was never a plan. Never.
There was a plan. JB's plan. Pretend to be going along with whatever successor plan is devised to appease everyone, knowing that he would not adhere to it and just keep on going until he decides he's had enough.

They do have a plan. The plan is to retire when he’s good and ready. Which only he knows.
I think he should just abruptly retire and be done with it. Or atleast announce that this is his last year. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for Jim but the bandaid has to be ripped off at some point.
No more waiting around and screwing with the loyal fan base. Do you really wanna be chased out with pitch forks?
Maybe announce, but I see 0 reason to retire mid season. I don't think anyone wants a successor from the current staff, so no point in giving experience/a trial to anyone else.

No doubt. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if his next public comments at a presser are along the lines of "I've read the ridiculous internet stuff and people don't know what they're talking about. We had a bad game but we're growing. I'm not going anywhere."
I can hear him saying that exactly. And that’s when a good reporter would dig dig dig at him to say more about it. But we don’t have any reporters like that. So he gets to say what he wants without repercussion and treat them all like idiots because they let him.

Maybe announce, but I see 0 reason to retire mid season. I don't think anyone wants a successor from the current staff, so no point in giving experience/a trial to anyone else.
The only reasons I can see a mid season change happening is if the noise gets overwhelming. Fans start revolting and not going to games. The losses pile up. It’s not worth it. He can do it specifically to get Gerry or Red the experience.

I’m a Jazz fan and something similar happened to Jerry Sloan. He deserved to go out on his own after 23yrs but quit mid season because of BS with a player.

The only reasons I can see a mid season change happening is if the noise gets overwhelming. Fans start revolting and not going to games. The losses pile up. It’s not worth it. He can do it specifically to get Gerry or Red the experience.

I’m a Jazz fan and something similar happened to Jerry Sloan. He deserved to go out on his own after 23yrs but quit mid season because of BS with a player.
I think the mid season retirement makes sense but only if the Assistant he wants to replace him gets the interim tag. IF - please note the if - JB wants Gmac instead of Red and the powers that be give it to Red for a variety of reasons, JB might not want to step out that way.

I want to clarify. There was never a plan that had a set time and a designated replacement. However, the athletic Director has a plan of attack and what to do when JB steps down.

There isn’t an assistant on the staff that feels they are definitely getting the job. At least, that was the case over the summer.

I think Wildhack is leaving his options open, and the more this gets off the rails this year. The more options he’s going to need.

I believe there are two different factions among the board of trustees. One that thinks, JB should be allowed to handpick his successor, and the other who think we need a full-blown national search. I think the latter group is growing in numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom