The supposed retirement plan | Syracusefan.com

The supposed retirement plan

FutureCuse

Walk On
What was it, two years ago when JB/JW said there is a plan in place? Is it ever more important/necessary that this supposed plan should have been announced so as to preserve continuity, among many other factors? And what does it say about things when this plan is kept hush hush? The most important aspect of actually announcing a plan is maintaining said continuity, yet here we are with these people essentially holding the entire fanbase and program hostage by not doing so. JP Estrella did not want to come here because of the uncertainty at the coaching position. I'm sure he isn't the only one considering we don't have a single 2023 recruit!

I'm starting to wonder if there even was a plan. The only benefit to not announcing it is to allow JB/JW an open-ended timeline. Now that we've hit rock bottom, why the continued silence? What is the point? So JB can continue throwing on his blue polyester Cuse warmup pants and hang out in the posh Carmelo center and go through the motions?

Does the fan base and recruiting mean anything to these people? Not announcing a plan is what is essentially destroying this program, it is not just bad play. No plan = horrible recruiting = garbage basketball. If they don't announce a plan ASAP this is going to get much worse with this fan revolt that's undeniably going on.

Last edited:
I think the real reason it isn’t announced is that JB doesn’t want a farewell season. I can speculate positively or negatively as to why. But he’s hinted as such in the past. I’d be truly shocked if this isn’t the last year. But I agree that not announcing it is hurting him more than he realizes.

They do have a plan. The plan is to retire when he’s good and ready. Which only he knows.
I think he should just abruptly retire and be done with it. Or atleast announce that this is his last year. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for Jim but the bandaid has to be ripped off at some point.
No more waiting around and screwing with the loyal fan base. Do you really wanna be chased out with pitch forks?

They do have a plan. The plan is to retire when he’s good and ready. Which only he knows.
I think he should just abruptly retire and be done with it. Or atleast announce that this is his last year. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for Jim but the bandaid has to be ripped off at some point.
No more waiting around and screwing with the loyal fan base. Do you really wanna be chased out with pitch forks?
I would think the only way Autry or GMac would get the job at this point would be if JB steps down midseason, one of them takes over as interim coach, and does a great job and the team finishes strong.

JB should consider that IMO.

I’m pretty confident this is his last year.

1) we are trending towards another losing season. Likely the worst season under Boeheim and it’s just been getting worse and worse the last 5 seasons. I think Wildhack politely nudges Boeheim out the door

2) Boeheim bought a $5 million dollar house on the lake this summer. Likely his retirement house

3) both his sons aren’t playing for him anymore

4) he got to 1,000 (officially) again so he reached that milestone

5) we have no recruits committed for next season which tells me they are likely telling the recruits he won’t be here next year and they aren’t sure who the coach is gonna be. There are a few recruits that I thought for sure were ours until a month or so from their decision when something changed and something tells me that’s it

I’m pretty confident this is Boeheim’s last

I would think the only way Autry or GMac would get the job at this point would be if JB steps down midseason, one of them takes over as interim coach, and does a great job and the team finishes strong.

I certainly hope behind closed doors he’s giving them the opportunity to act more in a HC type role. But probably not lol

I'm always wary of committing long term to mid-season interims that have initial success. (Its more of a pro sport thing though, because the mid-season departure of college coaches while more common now, is still generally a rarity)

I know from pro sports the following tends to happen -- When a coach falters at the end, the team generally tunes him out or simply needs a change to succeed. When a new coach comes in, the team has new energy, new focus, is tweaked and it tends to lead to better results in the short-term.

And many teams then hire that interim coach - problem is that long term he is no better a solution - the boost when the coach came in were the inherent factors of getting rid of the prior coach.

JB is not only hurting their chances to be head coach, but their entire career prospects if they go outside, GMAC and Autry are going to be dropping down to the NEC for a job

Last edited:
I think the real reason it isn’t announced is that JB doesn’t want a farewell season. I can speculate positively or negatively as to why. But he’s hinted as such in the past. I’d be truly shocked if this isn’t the last year. But I agree that not announcing it is hurting him more than he realizes.
Spot on. The only thing I will disagree with is that there may be one more year in the “ironclad” plan.
Hopefully this year is it for many reasons, but I believe JB desperately wants to hand off a successful program to his successor and that he believes he is the best candidate to turn things around. I don’t agree at all, but can understand the sentiment.

I’m pretty confident this is his last year.

1) we are trending towards another losing season. Likely the worst season under Boeheim and it’s just been getting worse and worse the last 5 seasons. I think Wildhack politely nudges Boeheim out the door

2) Boeheim bought a $5 million dollar house on the lake this summer. Likely his retirement house

3) both his sons aren’t playing for him anymore

4) he got to 1,000 (officially) again so he reached that milestone

5) we have no recruits committed for next season which tells me they are likely telling the recruits he won’t be here next year and they aren’t sure who the coach is gonna be. There are a few recruits that I thought for sure were ours until a month or so from their decision when something changed and something tells me that’s it

I’m pretty confident this is Boeheim’s last

I can't believe they would be telling recruits and their families he is done this year as that information would be leaked within 24 hours. In this day and age of social media we would have already heard if this was the case. Why would the staff and administration trust recruits and their advisors to keep this secret? Not buying it.

I can't believe they would be telling recruits and their families he is done this year as that information would be leaked within 24 hours. In this day and age of social media we would have already heard if this was the case. Why would the staff and administration trust recruits and their advisors to keep this secret? Not buying it.

Recruits are staying away because he’s telling them he WILL be back next year. I kid I kid.
No but really how many top kids want to play for a declining, cantankerous, very old guy who shows no enthusiasm for recruiting anymore. Obviously not many at all.

I don't believe there is a plan that's agreed to by all sides.

When JB said last year that "we have a plan in place, an ironclad plan..." that prompted a lot of speculations.

A few days later someone asked him if he could elaborate on this plan, his reply at the time was to kind of brush that off saying it's the same plan since he turned 50 back when people started to ask him when he's going to retire. So to me that seems to suggest there isn't a plan, or the plan was an open ended one that it's left up to JB to decide the when and how.

I just tried for the last 30 minutes to find that interview and failed. I don't even remember if it's a twitter feed or it was something on youtube or what. Anyone else remember this and can reference a link?

I think there are two components of this. The timing of his retirement, whether it will be announced a year in advance, a month in advance, after the end of the season, who makes that decision, is it left wide open, is there a "retire no later than" deadline etc...is one component.

A succession plan, who to take over, an internal hire, Hop, a national search, will JB be an important voice to or on the search committee, is another component. Certainly the two are linked somewhat but having a plan for one doesn't mean having a plan for the other.

Part of the answer is probably dictated by JB's current contract. How long is that term of the contract?

I also do not think they can tell recruits and be hush hush to the public about how long JB is going to be there and who will take over. What you are going to get he recruits, their parents, cousins, HS coaches, handlers, all going to sign NDAs? No the most you can do is to side step it saying something like "As of this moment there is no plan for me to retire" or "I plan to be around for a while". Bear in mind since it's Red, GMac or AG doing the heavy lifting on recruiting these questions would be directed at them and they will have to answer it. What do you say if you are Red if you are out there recruiting a kid who is just now entering his junior season about the coaching? Who will be there in 2024-25 season? Will coach JB be there? Will coach Red be there?

While it may be tedious and fruitless to ask JB about it. It is not unreasonable to ask others. For example, why is it not OK to ask the AD if there is an ironclad plan in place, and if that plan is about the timing of JB's retirement or finding a successor, or both. I don't expect him to give details, just whether a plan is already in place and which is it. It is also not unreasonable to ask Red, GMac or AF about the plan, are they aware of such a plan, and more importantly, do they play a role in that plan, or whether that uncertainty is a disadvantage to their recruiting new players.

But I do think this is JB's last year. I also think he does not want a farewell tour like K did. He also said at the end of last season he would be back because he promised the freshmen he would be coaching them, this seems to imply if he didn't make such promises, he would have walked away with his sons graduating.

At this point there is really not much that can be done just let JB coach this young team. I hope he can get them to gel as a respectable team by season's end...but the sad part is even then their records will be such that they will be 500 feet outside of the bubble unless they win the ACC.

Last edited:
What was it, two years ago when JB/JW said there is a plan in place? Is it ever more important/necessary that this supposed plan should have been announced so as to preserve continuity, among many other factors? And what does it say about things when this plan is kept hush hush? The most important aspect of actually announcing a plan is maintaining said continuity, yet here we are with these people essentially holding the entire fanbase and program hostage by not doing so. JP Estrella did not want to come here because of the uncertainty at the coaching position. I'm sure he isn't the only one considering we don't have a single 2023 recruit!

I'm starting to wonder if there even was a plan. The only benefit to not announcing it is to allow JB/JW an open-ended timeline. Now that we've hit rock bottom, why the continued silence? What is the point? So JB can continue throwing on his blue polyester Cuse warmup pants and hang out in the posh Carmelo center and go through the motions?

Does the fan base and recruiting mean anything to these people? Not announcing a plan is what is essentially destroying this program, it is not just bad play. No plan = horrible recruiting = garbage basketball. If they don't announce a plan ASAP this is going to get much worse with this fan revolt that's undeniably going on.

The sad reality of the situation is that there isn't, wasn't, nor never was any plan. JB was talking out of his butt -- which isn't surprising, because JB says stuff -- when he suggested that there was an "ironclad plan" in place. That led a lot of posters to jump to conclusions that he was referring to a succession "plan," and lots of predictions that didn't come to pass about the focus of said "plan" being an internal candidate.

In reality, there wasn't a plan of any sort in place, or one that had been discussed. The entire Athletic Department was shocked when he made those statements.

The reason that nothing was announced was that there was nothing to announce. Because as you point out, if there was a plan, then it would make all the sense in the world to put it out there to help offset a lot of negative recruiting being used against us.

There's only one reason to not make an announcement.

BTW, last summer, a bunch of posters proclaimed that we were going to hear an announcement "any time now" announcing Red as the HCIW. That never happened either. And then when Estrella came on his official visit, JB told them he planned on sticking around. And then Trey Autry indicated that he wasn't considering SU [which would be strange if his dad was going to be the next head coach].

The writing was between the lines the entire time.

There for sure was a plan. It was just a really bad one

Very likely that when JB goes he will do it like Roy Williams did. He'll announce his retirement after the season ends. It won't be months in advance. He doesn't want a farewell tour as a lame duck. Will it be after this season, most likely another losing season? There are no 2023 recruits to lose since we have none. The risk is that some current players could decide to transfer out especially if one of the assistants is not getting the HC job.

Very likely that when JB goes he will do it like Roy Williams did. He'll announce his retirement after the season ends. It won't be months in advance. He doesn't want a farewell tour as a lame duck. Will it be after this season, most likely another losing season? There are no 2023 recruits to lose since we have none. The risk is that some current players could decide to transfer out especially if one of the assistants is not getting the HC job.

I thought that was public knowledge that he'd wait until after the season ended and make an announcement in April.

We just don't know which April.

The more I think about it the more I think he’s done because of the no recruits thing.

I don't believe there is a plan that's agreed to by all sides.

When JB said last year that "we have a plan in place, an ironclad plan..." that prompted a lot of speculations.

A few days later someone asked him if he could elaborate on this plan, his reply at the time was to kind of brush that off saying it's the same plan since he turned 50 back when people started to ask him when he's going to retire. So to me that seems to suggest there isn't a plan, or the plan was an open ended one that it's left up to JB to decide the when and how.

I just tried for the last 30 minutes to find that interview and failed. I don't even remember if it's a twitter feed or it was something on youtube or what. Anyone else remember this and can reference a link?

I think there are two components of this. The timing of his retirement, whether it will be announced a year in advance, a month in advance, after the end of the season, who makes that decision, is it left wide open, is there a "retire no later than" deadline etc...is one component.

A succession plan, who to take over, an internal hire, Hop, a national search, will JB be an important voice to or on the search committee, is another component. Certainly the two are linked somewhat but having a plan for one doesn't mean having a plan for the other.

Part of the answer is probably dictated by JB's current contract. How long is that term of the contract?

I also do not think they can tell recruits and be hush hush to the public about how long JB is going to be there and who will take over. What you are going to get he recruits, their parents, cousins, HS coaches, handlers, all going to sign NDAs? No the most you can do is to side step it saying something like "As of this moment there is no plan for me to retire" or "I plan to be around for a while". Bear in mind since it's Red, GMac or AG doing the heavy lifting on recruiting these questions would be directed at them and they will have to answer it. What do you say if you are Red if you are out there recruiting a kid who is just now entering his junior season about the coaching? Who will be there in 2024-25 season? Will coach JB be there? Will coach Red be there?

While it may be tedious and fruitless to ask JB about it. It is not unreasonable to ask others. For example, why is it not OK to ask the AD if there is an ironclad plan in place, and if that plan is about the timing of JB's retirement or finding a successor, or both. I don't expect him to give details, just whether a plan is already in place and which is it. It is also not unreasonable to ask Red, GMac or AF about the plan, are they aware of such a plan, and more importantly, do they play a role in that plan, or whether that uncertainty is a disadvantage to their recruiting new players.

But I do think this is JB's last year. I also think he does not want a farewell tour like K did. He also said at the end of last season he would be back because he promised the freshmen he would be coaching them, this seems to imply if he didn't make such promises, he would have walked away with his sons graduating.

At this point there is really not much that can be done just let JB coach this young team. I hope he can get them to gel as a respectable team by season's end...but the sad part is even then their records will be such that they will be 500 feet outside of the bubble unless they win the ACC.
In the end he just sounds like a liar.

I get all the ancillary ramifications to dispute that statement, but they have all been lies since he torpedo’d Hops succession. He’s lying now . And it sucks.

I could see JB retiring late in the offseason, so we're stuck hiring one of his assistants

The risk is that some current players could decide to transfer out especially if one of the assistants is not getting the HC job.
That's the risk that needs to be taken. Take a short term loss for what will hopefully be a long term game.

I thought that was public knowledge that he'd wait until after the season ended and make an announcement in April.

We just don't know which April.
I wish he would announce in late February. As much as I want him gone, he deserves a send off in his dome finale. If the teams record is bad, it doesn't create too much pressure like what Duke experienced last year in pursuing a title. It might even motivate them in their final games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom