The Thrill is Gone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Thrill is Gone

Are you arguing that FBS football players haven't worked hard? And that's the nature of sports - going from nothing to a lot of money quickly.

Really though, this goes back to the point I think we've sort of agreed on - letting players take free classes is not enough to compensate he value they generate in the short term.
I believe a free education (and stipend) is sufficient compensation. Just not in the system that exists. I believe the system went too far down the wrong road and has to be brought back to something resembling a student/athlete model - without players who believe they should be playing pro sports immediately.

Last edited:
I believe a free education (and stipend) is sufficient compensation. Just not in the system that exists. I believe the system went too far down the wrong road and had to be brought back to something resembling a student/athlete model - without player who believe they should be playing pro sports immediately.
So what about the system that does exist?

So what about the system that does exist?
Well, considering the “current system” has blown up in the last two years, it’s difficult to know what that system really is. But I’ve seen enough to know I don’t like it. And I don’t think players are happy with just getting scholarships. That’s why perhaps those players shouldn’t be in college.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense. You can stand in the river, go home for lunch and go back and stand in the river until supper.
Buddha was probably drunk when he said that.
If one stands down river from Buddha, is he in the same river?

Well, considering the “current system” has blown up in the last two years, it’s difficult to know what that system real is. But I’ve seen enough to know I don’t like it. And I don’t think players are happy with just getting scholarships. That’s why perhaps those players shouldn’t be in college.
This made me think of something; what if the XFL does succeed and they eventually pivot their direction from players who are just missing the NFL scouting team cuts to players fresh out of high school?

Well, considering the “current system” has blown up in the last two years, it’s difficult to know what that system real is. But I’ve seen enough to know I don’t like it. And I don’t think players are happy with just getting scholarships. That’s why perhaps those players shouldn’t be in college.
Why should players either be happy with just be happy with what they're getting or not attend?

If you're looking for "purity", I'm sure Ithaca or Cortland or Hamilton or Hobart would be happy for your support. Because you're only going to find it in D3.

Why should players either be happy with just be happy with what they're getting or not attend?

If you're looking for "purity", I'm sure Ithaca or Cortland or Hamilton or Hobart would be happy for your support. Because you're only going to find it in D3.
The way things are going, you’re probably right. And this has been on my mind.

How do you close the portal until after bowl season when ( I think) players have to be enrolled for the January semester to play at their new school?
True didn’t think of that. There has to be a way to fix it somehow.

I've honestly been to an FCS game more recently than a Syracuse game (a schedule / location thing, not a principle thing) and enjoyed myself just as much.
I went to an FCS school, Mercer, so I get a nice mix with them and SU. Mercer is fun to watch for the more "pure" aspect, for lack of a better term

I've honestly been to an FCS game more recently than a Syracuse game (a schedule / location thing, not a principle thing) and enjoyed myself just as much.
I went to a Cornell v Princeton game once. Had a ball. But allegiances die hard. And I’ve invested a lot emotionally into SU over the decades. And it’s my alma mater. It’s difficult to walk away. Especially when I believe it doesn’t have to be like this.

But enough. We disagree I know. Frankly, I’m guessing 90% of the fans here disagree with me. I’ve been hitting this drum for a long time. Probably 25 years.

- Players deserve to get paid

- Perhaps you don’t have as much fun watching anymore because you are older and have more responsibility/other things to focus on

- Bowl games are about entertainment

Those tenants remain true regardless of anything else that is happening in the college scene.

NIL and transfer portal really hasn’t changed much honestly, the top 10 schools still get all the good players, and a couple guys like Addison make a move that you weren’t expecting. Outside of that, the sport is the same as it was 10 years ago.

I went to a Cornell v Princeton game once. Had a ball. But allegiances die hard. And I’ve invested a lot emotionally into SU over the decades. And it’s my alma mater. It’s difficult to walk away. Especially when I believe it doesn’t have to be like this.

But enough. We disagree I know. Frankly, I’m guessing 90% of the fans here disagree with me. I’ve been hitting this drum for a long time. Probably 25 years.
I don't actually expect you to stop rooting for Syracuse, nor do I think you should. And for the record, I don't like how the sport is trending either - I actually think paying players under some form of contract will stabilize things.

So, just for the sake of a fair discussion, there are a handful of DIV 1 athletes who truly see the benefit of a legitimate college degree. The rest are in it for the opportunity to play professional sports and make some $$. Why not have the colleges and universities just create a college degree program that might require a few basic class requirements, but the bulk of the degree would only be performance on the field of play. Everybody would see it for what it is (and I'm not saying that negatively) and we would take the element of hypocrisy out of the equation.

So, just for the sake of a fair discussion, there are a handful of DIV 1 athletes who truly see the benefit of a legitimate college degree. The rest are in it for the opportunity to play professional sports and make some $$. Why not have the colleges and universities just create a college degree program that might require a few basic class requirements, but the bulk of the degree would only be performance on the field of play. Everybody would see it for what it is (and I'm not saying that negatively) and we would take the element of hypocrisy out of the equation.
Have a default degree in Phys Ed / some kind of education with a guarantee to fund a semester of student teaching. Seems like a happy compromise, with all of the exposure they have to lecture and performance.

I get coaches can leave. So fix the problem. No coaching moves until after last playoff game. If u have a nil u play in bowl game. No different than a contract. If ur getting paid based on your level of play, then u play in bowl game. Let all the crazy go on after Jan 15.
NIL contract would have to be between the company (not the school) and the player. If the kid breached the contract, the NIL company could sue him. The school would discourage that because it would impact recruiting. (SU’s NIL group sued a Joe for sitting out a bowl game). Plus, how do you show damages. Kid could have been the cause of a loss and his NIL value to the company could have yanked.
In general, you can’t force people to work.

Boils down to one "GREED" see Milton Freedman..
By the colleges. A bit of sharing would have gone a long way. In general, big changes are had when one group coalesces and says: “we have had enough.

I would say that most college FB guys are there to keep playing as long as they can and get a degree. Most aren’t delusional about their pro prospects. Basketball, on the other had…

Have a default degree in Phys Ed / some kind of education with a guarantee to fund a semester of student teaching. Seems like a happy compromise, with all of the exposure they have to lecture and performance.
Again, a "default degree" perpetuates the hypocrisy. I don't think a phys ed degree is ultra demanding, but the kids at Cortland who pursue it legitimately might take offense to someone who gets it handed to them just because they are an athlete.

Again, a "default degree" perpetuates the hypocrisy. I don't think a phys ed degree is ultra demanding, but the kids at Cortland who pursue it legitimately might take offense to someone who gets it handed to them just because they are an athlete.
How so? A full time schedule is 15 hours of lecture a week. Players spend at least 40 on football activities.

I would say that most college FB guys are there to keep playing as long as they can and get a degree. Most aren’t delusional about their pro prospects. Basketball, on the other had…
Thta's fine. Let the two groups chose what degree path they want to follow.

How so? A full time schedule is 15 hours of lecture a week. Players spend at least 40 on football activities.
You missed my initial point. No class work other than a few basic courses. All other time would be spent developing their "major" (ie football or basketball). That's their career objective.

Why not have the colleges and universities just create a college degree program that might require a few basic class requirements, but the bulk of the degree would only be performance on the field of play.
What part of this aligns with the educational mission of a college or university? It is bad enough that otherwise fine schools have long ago sold their academic souls to be in the entertainment business, but this would remove any pretense whatsoever that education was involved.

I hope with all my being that my alma mater, SU, never does anything like this. I would rather have them bail on P5 sports entirely.

Well, considering the “current system” has blown up in the last two years, it’s difficult to know what that system really is. But I’ve seen enough to know I don’t like it. And I don’t think players are happy with just getting scholarships. That’s why perhaps those players shouldn’t be in college.
As I understand it, you are okay with colleges, the NCAA, the NCAA tournament, the Bowl games and college football playoffs, and video game companies making money from the name, image and likeness of college athletes, but not the athletes themselves. Is that correct, because that is what you prefer. Take your scholarships and shut up while everyone around you makes money off your athletic efforts AND your name, your image, and your likeness.
SMH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom