The truth about Trevor | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The truth about Trevor

I am in absolute awe of so many comments from people who have made solid judgment of (take your pick of player) and how they will, should, shouldn't play for the rest of the season. :noidea:

Let's look at how the team and it's players shake out after Atlantis. Then we can start making some better informed opinions.

Do you think GMAC may have set expectations too high for TC prior to his first season with the Orange? I think so.

Oh, I was kinda hoping we could get Cooney some minutes on the bench - move G and Malachi to their real positions - now we have a PG and SF that can penetrate somewhat which is a huge problem right now - I'm hoping Joseph dramatically improves this season and we have something to play for - with Cooney playing 37 minutes - everyone on the board knows we are playing for a seed in the NIT

I still think TC can win 2 or 3 games by himself just like ND last year (or was it the year before that? Holy crap time goes quicker as you get older!)

Do you think GMAC may have set expectations too high for TC prior to his first season with the Orange? I think so.
What does that have to do with anything, Dave? And TC redshirted in his first season here and then played sparingly as a redshirt freshman anyway.

I wasn't talking about any particular person. Take a look at how many names were mentioned in this thread and opinions given for each.

No, I've maintained he's not a great shooter for 3 years. He's a streaky, high volume shooter. And when he's off, JB never pulls him out of the game, if even to relax and refocus.

That was pretty much the story with Gerry, too - except that Gerry was incredibly clutch. Big game player, but otherwise, yeah, he shot you out of games sometimes. But he was the only offensive option that last year, along with Nichols.

malachi is a true 2. can we at least agree on that ?

I'm not sure. I thought he'd be a pure 2 after watching him in high school, but he seems to be kind of a 2/3.

I still think TC can win 2 or 3 games by himself just like ND last year (or was it the year before that? Holy crap time goes quicker as you get older!)

I believe that was two years ago but yeah, everything blends in sometimes.

Beadle touched on it. iirc, the summer after TC's best year he bulked up a lot. Muscled-up his arms, chest, etc. There were those saying this affected his "muscle memory" and this was either the entire cause of his shot being off...or at least in part. Anyone else with a better memory recall this?

I remember what you are referring to with TC getting more muscular, but I am fuzzy on the when. He's one of those players other teams refer to and say, "hasn't Cooney been at Syracuse for like 10 years." That being said, I think it was in the off-season following his redshirt Freshman year.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but I think TC jumps too high on his 3pt shots during the game.

I've seen him take very small hops during warm ups from 3 and he rarely misses. He gets into a game and he tries to jump 40" vertical before he releases the ball. Totally different timing and form.

He's more of a set, spot shooter than this off screen jump shooter that he's been pretending to be for the last 3 years.

This. He's much better when he isn't drifting. And he almost always drifts into his shot when coming off a screen.

I remember what you are referring to with TC getting more muscular, but I am fuzzy on the when. He's one of those players other teams refer to and say, "hasn't Cooney been at Syracuse for like 10 years." That being said, I think it was in the off-season following his redshirt Freshman year.
So you mean like Carl Krauser at Pitt?

I know this makes people uncomfortable, but if you take away defense and character and just focus on their offensive game and production, I think Trevor and Deshaun Williams are extremely similar.

I get your point but MeShaun had a red light and didn't give a hoot. He was a selfish player. TC has a green light and does use it. He's not selfish. I thought tonite TC reigned in his Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner routine in the second half and we were better for it, He helped put the game out of reach with his FT shooting. He had a nice floor game and got a bunch of steal, including a couple back breakers on their inbounds.

In the first half, it was chuck and duck.

- His constant movement is basically the only movement that exists in the Syracuse offense; without him, things tend to become constant isolations
What a great point

malachi is a true 2. can we at least agree on that ?

Malachi is an elite talent, and probably will be an elite scorer, but he is a turnover machine. Putting him at the 2 as a secondary ball handler is a disaster waiting to happen against teams that pressure. He's a 2 or 3 dribble ball handler at this point, and maybe the worst passer on the team. Cooney is a better passer and dribbler at this point. I get it all you guys know about basketball is shooting. Idk why I continue to look at the Cooney threads, because it's the same dead horse after every game since 2012. Yeah, he's a streaky shooter, but he does everything else well. He and Lydon arguably had the two biggest plays of the game last night. I'm sure it made some people angry that he converted an and 1. It didn't follow your script that he sucks.

I'm not sure. I thought he'd be a pure 2 after watching him in high school, but he seems to be kind of a 2/3.

Elite talent. Would you have him as the 2 handling the ball against Louisville?

Malachi is an elite talent, and probably will be an elite scorer, but he is a turnover machine. Putting him at the 2 as a secondary ball handler is a disaster waiting to happen against teams that pressure. He's a 2 or 3 dribble ball handler at this point, and maybe the worst passer on the team. Cooney is a better passer and dribbler at this point. I get it all you guys know about basketball is shooting. Idk why I continue to look at the Cooney threads, because it's the same dead horse after every game since 2012. Yeah, he's a streaky shooter, but he does everything else well. He and Lydon arguably had the two biggest plays of the game last night. I'm sure it made some people angry that he converted an and 1. It didn't follow your script that he sucks.

I don't think that's true. I've seen Richardson make some excellent passes; he seems to have a distributor's mindset and a good sense of where his teammates are.

There will be times when the speed and physicality of the game overwhelm him and he makes bad turnovers, but he's an asset as a passer at whatever position he plays.

I guess G and TC are turnover machines also, as all three each have 7 TO's so far this year.

I guess G and TC are turnover machines also, as all three each have 7 TO's so far this year.

Guards are going to have TO's. If your turning it over that much on the wing, how much are you going to turn it over at guard?

Guards are going to have TO's. If your turning it over that much on the wing, how much are you going to turn it over at guard?
Guess it depends on what kind of TO's they are. Silly passes and trying to do too much? Not good. Aggressive attempts to get to the basket or free himself up for a shot (given that he is learning to play on this level and his tenure in D-1 hoops is only 2 games old) don't worry me too much.

I went thru the 7 stages with Cooney during 2013. JB knows more than me so I don't get frustrated by it anymore. I just accept the cold/hot streaks and hope the offense is not dependent on him which it isn't this year. We have more shooting but less post game this year. Just accept it and hope the team gets better. Typically SU teams are made products in November this team has potential due to the 3 Freshman to get better and have more upside in February and March.

Guess it depends on what kind of TO's they are. Silly passes and trying to do too much? Not good. Aggressive attempts to get to the basket or free himself up for a shot (given that he is learning to play on this level and his tenure in D-1 hoops is only 2 games old) don't worry me too much.

One of Gbinije's involved barreling over a defender several steps after dumping off a pass to the wing in the first half. (It happened again late, thankfully without a whistle.) That'd fall into the 'not good' category for a fifth-year senior.

As for Richardson, it looks like he's playing within himself and many of his turnovers have involved passes that college defenders, to his surprise, can get a hand on. Not bad turnovers, really. He'll improve quickly.

I went thru the 7 stages with Cooney during 2013. JB knows more than me so I don't get frustrated by it anymore. I just accept the cold/hot streaks and hope the offense is not dependent on him which it isn't this year. We have more shooting but less post game this year. Just accept it and hope the team gets better. Typically SU teams are made products in November this team has potential due to the 3 Freshman to get better and have more upside in February and March.

That's my hope too. We are always strong early in the year. In fact, I can't remember a preseason tourney in the last 5-7 years we haven't won. Were we in one last year? I don't think so, right? This year we almost have to get better, cause we are very sloppy thus far.

As for Cooney, he is what he is. JB is stubborn to all end. Don't see why he can't play Kaleb a bit when TC is struggling, which he does, a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom