The Virginia runs | Syracusefan.com

The Virginia runs

jdubs30

Living Legend
We’ve all rewatched that UVA E8 probably dozens of time by now. I just recently watched our win earlier this year @UVA where we completely caught fire in OT to the tune of 20pts, in 5 minutes, AT UVA.

Taking away the magnitude of the game, which was more impressive to you?

on one hand we had a UVA team that was dominant all year on the brink of their first F4 since Ralph Sampson. An NBA stud in Malcolm Brogdon. London Perrantes who torched his whole career. That year was arguably the best pack-line had ever been. A 25-4 run including 15-0, vs arguably the best defense in America and a team laced with veterans. 21 from Mali in the 2nd half.

or this year! 20pts in a 5 minute stretch at JPJ arena; in a game where we had 43pts in 40minutes prior to OT. Eli, JG3, Buddy all nailing multiple shots on the road against a team that ended 23-7 and 15-5 in the ACC. Less losses than the 2016 team.

2 different animals right? 2016 was a complete UVA collapse and Mali got hot. 2020 infront of a rabid crowd on the road we just lit the building on fire for 5 minutes vs a team with 2 extremely skilled 7fters.

the elite 8 is more emotional but this year to me seemed more impressive. UVA made shots this year in OT but we just made more.

what was the more impressive to watch? (If it’s possible to ignore the magnitude of the game)

More impressive the e8 that was overcoming a huge defecit to beat a one seed. That's as impressive as it getsm

Yeah that game was the definition of a 1 sided blowout and super ugly first 30 mins. Perrantes couldn’t miss and none of the looks he got were good. But their stall ball gave us more momentum than we deserved. Couple buckets couple stops and it was a game again and they couldn’t answer because they’d burn 20 seconds of clock intentionally every possession.

We’ve all rewatched that UVA E8 probably dozens of time by now. I just recently watched our win earlier this year @UVA where we completely caught fire in OT to the tune of 20pts, in 5 minutes, AT UVA.

on one hand we had a UVA team that was dominant all year on the brink of their first F4 since Ralph Sampson. An NBA stud in Malcolm Brogdon. London Perrantes who torched his whole career. That year was arguably the best pack-line had ever been. A 25-4 run including 15-0, vs arguably the best defense in America and a team laced with veterans. 21 from Mali in the 2nd half.

or this year! 20pts in a 5 minute stretch at JPJ arena; in a game where we had 43pts in 40minutes prior to OT. Eli, JG3, Buddy all nailing multiple shots on the road against a team that ended 23-7 and 15-5 in the ACC. Less losses than the 2016 team.

2 different animals right? 2016 was a complete UVA collapse and Mali got hot. 2020 infront of a rabid crowd on the road we just lit the building on fire for 5 minutes vs a team with 2 extremely skilled 7fters.

the elite 8 is more emotional but this year to me seemed more impressive. UVA made shots this year in OT but we just made more.

what was the more impressive to watch? (If it’s possible to ignore the magnitude of the game)
Personally, I think your last statement says it all. For me, it's not possible to ignore all that was on the line in the first game you reference. That's the one for me.

Not to diminish last year's game at all. Both great games to watch.

The Virginia crowd was not rabid. They were more the wine and cheese type.

There’s just no way to ignore the situations of the games. I appreciate the question just in terms of comparing two stretches of games but my best answer is this: I’ll never forget that game from 2016 and until I read your post, I honestly had forgotten about the OT fireworks and win at JPJ which was even more recent. That says it all.

The E8 game was just way more dramatic and exciting. Of course I don’t remember the first half at all but the last 7 minutes or so were gold. Malachi put on a show. The crowd was going wild. Tony Bennett wasn’t singing.

I have to give credit to this year’s team as they somewhat made up for their poor showing in the “highly anticipated” season opener against the defending national champions.

The Elite 8 game because, outside of Central NY, nobody expected us to win. We were a 10 seed that most of the country, and almost every "analyst", thought we didn't even deserve to be in the tournament.

Regular season upsets happen, you might get a bottom line on ESPN. Virginia was better in 2016. They were a #1 seed, title favorite, it was their time. Their defense was insane. In the NCAAT, and especially the later rounds, every shot counts that much more. Every 3 Malachi nailed felt like 10 points.

That being said, I like the UVA program and am happy they won it last year.

Oh.

I thought this was going to be a thread about eating too much Virginia barbecue.
;) I thought it was going to be about country ham and redeye gravy...

I feel like UVA-Syracuse games the last few years have had some insane runs. Obviously, the 2016 Elite 8 game was the most meaningful. The OT run in this past year's game was pretty epic. The second half shooting by UVA in the Carrier Dome in 2018-2019 was pretty insane too.

I feel like UVA-Syracuse games the last few years have had some insane runs. Obviously, the 2016 Elite 8 game was the most meaningful. The OT run in this past year's game was pretty epic. The second half shooting by UVA in the Carrier Dome in 2018-2019 was pretty insane too.

The stretch run of the 2016-17 game at the Dome was something special too. That was the real 1,000th win for Boeheim. Great stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom