The "we" in sports fans... | Syracusefan.com

The "we" in sports fans...

njcuse

Scout Team
I am not sure when over the recent years this happened, but at some point I decided that talking about "we, and our, and us" in comments on the SU teams was out of line, and at least for some unhealthy. When the team is thriving, it's we, us, our; when the team stumbles, it's they, he (fill in a name) f**ked up. When I post or comment on the SU teams, I refer to SU or the team or the player, never using "we, our, us." Doing this helps me keep my perspective as a fan. I was going to elaborate, but I hope the point is made.

I am not sure when over the recent years this happened, but at some point I decided that talking about "we, and our, and us" in comments on the SU teams was out of line, and at least for some unhealthy. When the team is thriving, it's we, us, our; when the team stumbles, it's they, he (fill in a name) f**ked up. When I post or comment on the SU teams, I refer to SU or the team or the player, never using "we, our, us." Doing this helps me keep my perspective as a fan. I was going to elaborate, but I hope the point is made.

I will never apologize for being a very passionate fan.

I used we, us, and ours a lot last night. Doesnt mean I wasn't pissed. I keep a perspective as a fan too. It just may be different than yours.

I graduated from SU, my father graduated from SU, my grandfather on my mother's side graduated from SU and some of my cousins graduated from SU. I have always used we and us long before I ever attended a class at SU and I have been a fan since I can remember. My brother and other friends who did not attend SU but are fan also use we and us when referring to SU sports and I do not consider it tacky nor do I have any problem keeping my perspective as a fan. The loss last night was painful to watch because of 'our' poor play but I still have to go to work today and nothing in my life has changed.
My opinion is that anyone who is a fan feels a connection to 'their' team. I enjoy watching SU football and basketball, they will always be 'my' teams.

I graduated from SU, my father graduated from SU, my grandfather on my mother's side graduated from SU and some of my cousins graduated from SU. I have always used we and us long before I ever attended a class at SU and I have been a fan since I can remember. My brother and other friends who did not attend SU but are fan also use we and us when referring to SU sports and I do not consider it tacky nor do I have any problem keeping my perspective as a fan. The loss last night was painful to watch because of 'our' poor play but I still have to go to work today and nothing in my life has changed.
My opinion is that anyone who is a fan feels a connection to 'their' team. I enjoy watching SU football and basketball, they will always be 'my' teams.

well said. im in the same boat. I have been in a group text with 7 or 8 of my best friends. All locals from Syracuse, but I'm the only SU grad (funny - im the only 1 who didnt go to HS in cuse)

Every single 1 of them used we and us.

I'd be offended if they didnt.

It's "we" if you went to the school. It's tacky otherwise.

In my opinion, a person that is born in Syracuse, roots for the team since birth, goes to say a SUNY school, and then stays in Syracuse and has season tickets at the Dome year after year is perfectly justified in saying "we." That's their hometown team.

In my opinion, a person that is born in Syracuse, roots for the team since birth, goes to say a SUNY school, and then stays in Syracuse and has season tickets at the Dome year after year is perfectly justified in saying "we." That's their hometown team.

I take my post back, limiting it to people born in Syracuse is wrong on my part. You can live anywhere in the world, and if you truly live and die with SU sports and are loyal (meaning you stuck with the football team during the GRob years and you have watched NIT games and truly cared if we won), you can use whatever pronoun makes you happy.

It's "we" unless you are calling into talk with Jim Rome.

Had to laugh at him and his take on the use of those words in the past.

As for me it's We.

I look at it this way. If you were not raised a Syracuse fan or followed the team and just because you went there you feel like all of a sudden you are entitled to be a bigger super fan than someone who didnt go there is ridiculous. You are no more than a rent a fan IMO.

I'm not a fan of these holier-than-thou type posts. The use of "we" is not indicative of a lack perspective; it is a sign of ownership, commitment in your team, and what is wrong with that? If you can't get pissed off about a loss, then how can you cherish a win?

What's all this "if you went to school" business? I went to SUNY Albany. I have been a Syracuse fan since I was 12 or so. I consider myself one of the biggest SU fans on the planet (next to Marsh of course ;) )

I would cheer for SU over my alma mater any sport, any game. WE are still a GREAT team.

Boom!

What's all this "if you went to school" business? I went to SUNY Albany. I have been a Syracuse fan since I was 12 or so. I consider myself one of the biggest SU fans on the planet (next to Marsh of course ;) )

I would cheer for SU over my alma mater any sport, any game. WE are still a GREAT team.

Boom!

Dont get me wrong. I think going to a school and showing school pride is great. I didnt go to Syracuse. Got in but wasnt living home and that wasnt an option I wanted. But to say it means more to a grad that it does to me as a resident is silly.

Boom!
Well put. I earned my degree while on active duty. Syracuse has been, is and will be my team wherever I am.

I won't buy other school gear. I wear Orange gear.

Last edited:

Boom!

Indeed, wreaks of arrogance & pretension...

Upstate said:
It's "we" if you went to the school. It's tacky otherwise.

Wait I grew up in CNY an have rooted for Cuse since I was 5. But some kid from NJ who didn't follow SU until midway through his freshman year (and never goes to football games) can refer to the teams as we?

It's "we" only if you either went to Syracuse, lived in Syracuse, can spell syracuse or pronounce Syracuse and either go to games, listen to games, watch games on tv, play on the team, play in the game, post as a fan on this board, own a syracuse shirt hat sneakers slippers etc and feel great when we win, estatic when we beat a good team, tears of joy when we win the NC. (And yeah get down for a day and recover within 24 hours after a loss like yesterday).

It's "we" only if you either went to Syracuse, lived in Syracuse, can spell syracuse or pronounce Syracuse and either go to games, listen to games, watch games on tv, play on the team, play in the game, post as a fan on this board, own a syracuse shirt hat sneakers slippers etc and feel great when we win, estatic when we beat a good team, tears of joy when we win the NC. (And yeah get down for a day and recover within 24 hours after a loss like yesterday).
I haven't recovered yet but I still have roughly 11 hours.

We looked junky last night. Hopefully this is a learning experience for us.

This is my team...

I feel like Stephen the crazy Irishman in braveheart. My island. Yea, its mine.
That dude is the best. Definitely would have been a Cuse fan in another life.

I use we all the time. I am in a office filled with WVU and UNC fans and actually got crap about wearing a SU shirt today since we lost. I quickly reminded them we have only lost one game and bubble teams have zero room to talk. To my suprise a Clemson fan (the only one in my office) defended me as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom