The "we" in sports fans... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The "we" in sports fans...

Damn right it's 'we'. The way I see it some of us fans have just as much or more emotionally invested in this program then the actual players and coaches (not count JB). I know there are times when I take a loss harder then the actual players. Maybe that's a problem I need to deal with, but I definitely think it's true. This is a program that I have donated 30+ years of hardcore fandom too. Many of these kids who come here couldn't tell you the first thing about the history of the program, and didn't care one bit about before they came to campus. And I am sure for a lot of them they will go back to not really caring all that much if we wiin or lose when their 4 years are up. Us on the other hand will continue to bleed orange until our deaths. The way I see it, it's more our team then theirs anyways, so your damn right I will refer to this program as WE.

1798531_10202893650879705_1765791041_n.jpg

From the "business in sports" (I think that's what it was called) course that SU put out for free last summer

Its "we" if your team is winning - "Basking In Reflective Glory"
Its "they" if your team is losing - "Cutting Off Reflected Failure"

In my opinion, a person that is born in Syracuse, roots for the team since birth, goes to say a SUNY school, and then stays in Syracuse and has season tickets at the Dome year after year is perfectly justified in saying "we." That's their hometown team.

Uh oh. What if we did all that right up to the SUNY school part? Althought to be fair I do have an SU transcript because I took two classes offered by SU but taught at my HS when I was in high school. Does that make me an alum?!? :)

I feel justified in using we because to everybody I know, I am the Syracuse guy. Being in a remote outpost of the Ottoman Empire, I am the face of Syracuse to these people. The gate guard as I was showing him my badge this morning says: "Dude, B - C ??!" (I have a "CUSE" vinyl on my windshield that he must have noticed over the years and today said something for the first time.

Uh oh. What if we did all that right up to the SUNY school part? Althought to be fair I do have an SU transcript because I took two classes offered by SU but taught at my HS when I was in high school. Does that make me an alum?!? :)

I feel justified in using we because to everybody I know, I am the Syracuse guy. Being in a remote outpost of the Ottoman Empire, I am the face of Syracuse to these people. The gate guard as I was showing him my badge this morning says: "Dude, B - C ??!" (I have a "CUSE" vinyl on my windshield that he must have noticed over the years and today said something for the first time.

My personal Litmus Test for being worthy of using the word "we" is whether you took the time to watch our NIT games in 2002, 2007, 2008, etc. I think that's what separates the real fan from the fake fan.

My personal Litmus Test for being worthy of using the word "we" is whether you took the time to watch our NIT games in 2002, 2007, 2008, etc. I think that's what separates the real fan from the fake fan.

Oh heck yeah, I watched every second of every one of them.

I would like to reassure you that though we are far from the capital of the Otto Man Empire, we are by no means an outpost! What's more is that we have respect from real fans in football and basketball.

Marsh01 said:
Its we if you were born and raised in Syracuse, have supported all programs with season tickets since the Manley, Archibold days, own a business and pay taxes as a Syracuse resident thats for damn sure.

Are u describing igor or bluecurtain?

I use we all the time. I am in a office filled with WVU and UNC fans and actually got crap about wearing a SU shirt today since we lost. I quickly reminded them we have only lost one game and bubble teams have zero room to talk. To my suprise a Clemson fan (the only one in my office) defended me as well
All heart. I love that you wore the shirt today. Was thinking the same thing but I was reprimanded about dress code recently. Either way, never give up people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it "we" only if you went to school there? You have as much to do with a win or loss as the townie that shows up to cheer on the team.

Because we hold attend/hold degrees from the university that the team represents. The lettering on the front of the jersey stands for 'Syracuse University' and that team represents the students and alumni of the school.

SU2NASA said:
Because we hold attend/hold degrees from the university that the team represents. The lettering on the front of the jersey stands for 'Syracuse University' and that team represents the students and alumni of the school.

And who the hell built the Dome?! It sure wasn't built just by students or alumni. People from the surrounding area and elsewhere helped build it and fund it. So it's our Dome too and Syracuse is our team. We are SU!

So I should stop referring to the team as we? Because I did not attend SU?
Yes, stop everything, cease and kindly desist. :rolleyes:
You've got enough heart to sustain the entire fanbase.
Trooooooooop!

And "Syracuse University" represents the city of Syracuse and in many ways Upstate New York so your point is moot.

Any one that has ever contributed to SU should feel fine using we/us. If you ever attended a game you should feel fine using we/us because you have spent money supporting the team. If you have ever purchased a t-shirt, you have indirectly supported the team and should feel ok with using we/us. If you ever bought a newspaper to check the SU/Nova box scores, you should feel fine with we/us.. Totally uppity and immature to think otherwise.

Any one that has ever contributed to SU should feel fine using we/us. If you ever attended a game you should feel fine using we/us because you have spent money supporting the team. If you have ever purchased a t-shirt, you have indirectly supported the team and should feel ok with using we/us. If you ever bought a newspaper to check the SU/Nova box scores, you should feel fine with we/us.. Totally uppity and immature to think otherwise.
Phew, I'm covered! :D

I'm pretty sure New York State tax money will be going toward funding the new stadium. Are you a New York resident? Also the university markets Syracuse as "new Yorks college team". The only things you are coming off as is is ignorant and arrogant . Syracuse needs the locals ,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom