The "we" in sports fans... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The "we" in sports fans...

SU2NASA said:
Because we hold attend/hold degrees from the university that the team represents. The lettering on the front of the jersey stands for 'Syracuse University' and that team represents the students and alumni of the school.

Absolutely not

I'm pretty sure New York State tax money will be going toward funding the new stadium. Are you a New York resident? Also the university markets Syracuse as "new Yorks college team". The only things you are coming off as is is ignorant and arrogant . Syracuse needs the locals ,
Just an opinion: SU2NASA has a sense of humor and was probably stirring the pot. To my recollection, he has never derided us non-matriculated fans and never complained when we referred to "we" and "us".

He is a consistently die hard SU fan and great poster. Besides, without his most excellent research and highly placed connections we would never have known that OU to the B1G is imminent, unless things change.

I don't even live in the US, let alone Syracuse. But I was born and raised in CNY and I still have family there. Whom I visit almost every year. And I drive. Twenty. Five. Hundred. Freaking. Miles. Each. Way. And when I'm there, I always score some SU gear, because I've been an SU fan since Dave Bing and Floyd Little. And I'm supposed to care whether some pedant clucks his tongue over the usage of we and they? Really?

181297793_1371420118.jpg

Tell me more.

I say "we" when referring to the NY Yankees. I've never been a part of the Yankee organization, never bought season tickets and never lived in the Bronx. But that makes me no less of a Yankee fan.

People can root for whomever they want...and use "we" if they want to.

Hey, as a comparatively small school on the Power Confeence scene .. we need as many people as possible saying "we" about SU. And while you're at it, vote for Jim Boeheim in that espn/infiniti contest posted at the top of the board. That's another way to be a fan.

So I should stop referring to the team as we? Because I did not attend SU?
You?????? The one who shared one of the greatest SU sports filled weeks with this forum for us out of towners to enjoy???? One who bleeds Orange with every post????

You should never ever stop referring to the team as we!

I think almost everyone who posts or lurks on this board is a die hard SU fan and should refer to their favorite team (SU) as 'their' team and freely use 'we' when doing so no matter where they are from or where they are now.

I say "we" when referring to the NY Yankees. I've never been a part of the Yankee organization, never bought season tickets and never lived in the Bronx. But that makes me no less of a Yankee fan.

People can root for whomever they want...and use "we" if they want to.

Hey, as a comparatively small school on the Power Confeence scene .. we need as many people as possible saying "we" about SU. And while you're at it, vote for Jim Boeheim in that espn/infiniti contest posted at the top of the board. That's another way to be a fan.
Well said!

I hate the people who try to dictate who can and can't claim "real" allegiance to a team.

I'll take the dude from Boise who loves the team no matter what and wants to be a part of the Orange family ahead of the douchebag from Syracuse who went to SU who tries to say "No, this is mine, you can't have this!" any day of the week. People who pull that sh** can go to hell.

And I say this as someone who went to SU and, while not a townie, 75% of my family is from CNY.

FYI: out of my Syracuse area family, only my uncle went to SU out of a big Irish Catholic family. Numerous aunts and uncles and cousins who are not grads who can say "we." My aunt and uncle have been season ticket holders for 20+ years but neither went to SU. They attend the Basket Ball every year and donate to the program. But according to some here they can't say "we"? That's the most bullsh** thing I've heard in 30 years.

John Thomas was the overwhelming favorite to win the high jump in the 1960 Olympics. He wound up with the bronze, losing to Russians Robert Shavlakadze and Valerie Brumel. This was at the height of the cold war. It may have been a factor that he was black and this was before the civil rights movement really took hold. He was heavily criticized.

"That was the first time I learned people didn't like me. They only like winners. They don't credit a man for trying. I was called a quitter, a man with no heart. It left me sick. American spectators are frustrated athletes. In the champion, they see what they'd like to be. In the loser, they see what they actually are and they treat him with scorn."

I've always thought there was a tendency among some fans to refer to a winning team as "us" and a losing team as "them".

Also, I think in college towns there is a greater tendency to identify with their team because they want to the team to put the small towns and cities they live in on the map. I think in the big cities that pro sports fans tend to root for their teams to live up to the image the city already has. I'm guess there is, therefore, in college towns, a greater tendency to use the term "we" than in the big cities.

Last edited:
Because we hold attend/hold degrees from the university that the team represents. The lettering on the front of the jersey stands for 'Syracuse University' and that team represents the students and alumni of the school.
The hell with you. This is my team, you're just lucky I let you watch.

I don't even live in the US, let alone Syracuse. But I was born and raised in CNY and I still have family there. Whom I visit almost every year. And I drive. Twenty. Five. Hundred. Freaking. Miles. Each. Way. And when I'm there, I always score some SU gear, because I've been an SU fan since Dave Bing and Floyd Little. And I'm supposed to care whether some pedant clucks his tongue over the usage of we and they? Really?

181297793_1371420118.jpg

Tell me more.
one of your very best posts... where do you live?

John Thomas was the overwhelming favorite to win the high jump in the 1960 Olympics. He wound up with the bronze, losing to Russians Robert Shavlakadze and Valerie Brumel. This was at the height of the cold war. It may have been a factor that he was black and this was before the civil rights movement really took hold. He was heavily criticized.

"That was the first time I learned people didn't like me. They only like winners. They don't credit a man for trying. I was called a quitter, a man with no heart. It left me sick. American spectators are frustrated athletes. In the champion, they see what they'd like to be. In the loser, they see what they actually are and they treat him with scorn."

I've always thought there was a tendency among some fans to refer to a winning team as "us" and a losing team as "them".

Also, I think in college towns there is a greater tendency to identify with their team because they want to the team to put the small towns and cities they live in on the map. I think in the big cities that pro sports fans tend to root for their teams to live up to the image the city already has. I'm guess in that there is, therefore, in college towns a greater tendency to us the term "we" than in the big cities.
Apropos of nothing, I actually saw John Thomas participate in a track meet in Archbold Stadium. I was a big track and field fan at the time, and was thrilled that he would be there with the Boston U team because he was the world record holder and the first man to clear 7 feet (considered a huge accomplishment at the time). His competition was so puny that he didn't have to jump very high to win, so I didn't get to see any spectacular jumps.

From the "business in sports" (I think that's what it was called) course that SU put out for free last summer

Its "we" if your team is winning - "Basking In Reflective Glory"
Its "they" if your team is losing - "Cutting Off Reflected Failure"
This is correct, and kudos for referring to this social phenomena.

I'm a fan, and I have 15 SUPA credits. I'm all we.

Why is that the case? I have been a cuse fan since I was ten. I have probably watched every game since then, have spent plenty of money on merchandise, if I didn't go to syracuse, does that make me less of a fan?
Does saying "we" make you any more of a fan? If so, go ahead. I don't feel I have enough of an association with the University or the city to warrant myself being included with them. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, just my personal view of things.

So I guess that Syracuse really isn't New York's college team. Because if it is, then WE could all say WE have a great team. But I suppose if we've left the state we've lost that right. What a BS thread this is. :crazy:

as an alumnus, i try not to type 'we' and go out of my way to type 'the Orange' or Syracuse...basically because i am no longer a student. although i think a 'we' still qualifies.

that said i never had a problem with anyone saying 'we', it usually meant it was coming from a diehard and i know a ton a of non-alumni Syracuse diehards. most are townies, a few are parents of students...both qualify.

1 of the reasons i dont mind, is i always hate(d) it when some smartass fan of another team says 'i didnt see you playing, you sat next to me' after i drunkenly use a we at a pub.

fluck-u, its go time.

the only other time i really feel like a 'we' is when it comes to the New York Football Giants Club. im 1 of 30,000 or so season ticket owners. i paid a PSL for each goddamn seat as well, so as far as im concerned i have more than enough of a vested interest to qualify as a 'we'.

as a matter of fact, im going to write John Mara a letter now and ask where my 2 Fn SuperBowl rings are?? im not asking for an exact replica, and ill even pay for it, but damnit i deserve one. if the assistant to the traveling secretary gets one, why shouldnt i??? im paying somebodys salary.

it should only be made available to season ticket holders, kind of like being a fraternity...i can now wear the letters.

basically, im a non playing member of the 'club' and i should get certain privileges.

i want my rings.

crazy rant over.

as you were.

as an alumnus, i try not to type 'we' and go out of my way to type 'the Orange' or Syracuse...basically because i am no longer a student. although i think a 'we' still qualifies.

that said i never had a problem with anyone saying 'we', it usually meant it was coming from a diehard and i know a ton a of non-alumni Syracuse diehards. most are townies, a few are parents of students...both qualify.

1 of the reasons i dont mind, is i always hate(d) it when some smartass fan of another team says 'i didnt see you playing, you sat next to me' after i drunkenly use a we at a pub.

fluck-u, its go time.

the only other time i really feel like a 'we' is when it comes to the New York Football Giants Club. im 1 of 30,000 or so season ticket owners. i paid a PSL for each goddamn seat as well, so as far as im concerned i have more than enough of a vested interest to qualify as a 'we'.

as a matter of fact, im going to write John Mara a letter now and ask where my 2 Fn SuperBowl rings are?? im not asking for an exact replica, and ill even pay for it, but damnit i deserve one. if the assistant to the traveling secretary gets one, why shouldnt i??? im paying somebodys salary.

it should only be made available to season ticket holders, kind of like being a fraternity...i can now wear the letters.

basically, im a non playing member of the 'club' and i should get certain privileges.

i want my rings.

crazy rant over.

as you were.

lord_of_the_rings_google_chrome_theme_by_googlechromethemes-d4sbbgf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online