The "we" in sports fans... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The "we" in sports fans...

I'm going with my instincts here. East Bovine Township, NY? I think I've got a shot at this one.
20090916_fingers_crossed.jpg

Actually, I did live near Bovina when I was a kid.

My personal Litmus Test for being worthy of using the word "we" is whether you took the time to watch our NIT games in 2002, 2007, 2008, etc. I think that's what separates the real fan from the fake fan.

One of the best experiences I've had at the dome, were the NIT games. Tickets were $10 and for two of the games, my buddies and I sat in the 3rd row, in the blue seats behind the visitor's basket. No way could I afford them seats for a regular season game and I was not going to pass up the chance to root for my team that close to the court. It did not matter that thet were NIT games, we were there to cheer for our beloved Orange. The four of us walked away from those games with no voices and great memories.

team.jpg

I usually tend to side with the underdog because sometimes I like a challenge, and sometimes the abuse becomes too much for me to watch. This will not be one of those times.

While I understand the premise of the OP, and can agree to a point, I think this is a highly subjective matter. Even within this thread we see folks jockeying to qualify themselves as being more of a "we", which I understand, but think that it's been made clear that it's not necessary. Still, I'm not going to beat up on the guy. The board was in a MELTDOWN. The one true meltowdown(possibly my favorite board-related word) and I wasn't home to participate.

I'll add a smaller and maybe more heartfelt story to the thread. One spring semester I had perfect attendance(something far different from my freshman year), and the one class I missed all semester? It was due to an a Syracuse NCAA tournament game. That might not seem like a major sacrifice, but that was the only semester I came close to perfect attendance.

As for my alma mater, I share it with tee(although I attended 2 other schools previously. I knew there was maybe a reason the guy was kind to me, and wonder if he will even see this post. While I never followed the Great Danes program, they almost did become the first 16 seed to take out a 1 seed, UConn, and would have had no problem calling them "we" to this day in reference to that one game. My freshman year I managed the team at SUNY Oswego, so there is a bit of a we in there for me too, and my sophomore year I was friends/lab partners with 2 of the stars on the Herkimer County CC's women's team and even wrote an article on them, so there is a bit lesser of a we there too.

I've rooted for the orangemen for as long as I can remember, and after bitter battles against Georgetown would go outdoors and shovel off the court and shoot for 2 or 3 hours, transferring their game emotion to my own skill honing. I think shooting in those blizzards as a teenager was my way of saying "we" without actually saying it. This thread wasn't as bad as some make it sound, I think we got to know each other a bit better and become more of our own "we".

I hate the people who try to dictate who can and can't claim "real" allegiance to a team.

I'll take the dude from Boise who loves the team no matter what and wants to be a part of the Orange family ahead of the douchebag from Syracuse who went to SU who tries to say "No, this is mine, you can't have this!" any day of the week. People who pull that sh** can go to hell.

And I say this as someone who went to SU and, while not a townie, 75% of my family is from CNY.

FYI: out of my Syracuse area family, only my uncle went to SU out of a big Irish Catholic family. Numerous aunts and uncles and cousins who are not grads who can say "we." My aunt and uncle have been season ticket holders for 20+ years but neither went to SU. They attend the Basket Ball every year and donate to the program. But according to some here they can't say "we"? That's the most bullsh** thing I've heard in 30 years.

Get 'em! Great post. Some people need to get off their GD high horse!

I usually tend to side with the underdog because sometimes I like a challenge, and sometimes the abuse becomes too much for me to watch. This will not be one of those times.

While I understand the premise of the OP, and can agree to a point, I think this is a highly subjective matter. Even within this thread we see folks jockeying to qualify themselves as being more of a "we", which I understand, but think that it's been made clear that it's not necessary. Still, I'm not going to beat up on the guy. The board was in a MELTDOWN. The one true meltowdown(possibly my favorite board-related word) and I wasn't home to participate.

I'll add a smaller and maybe more heartfelt story to the thread. One spring semester I had perfect attendance(something far different from my freshman year), and the one class I missed all semester? It was due to an a Syracuse NCAA tournament game. That might not seem like a major sacrifice, but that was the only semester I came close to perfect attendance.

As for my alma mater, I share it with tee(although I attended 2 other schools previously. I knew there was maybe a reason the guy was kind to me, and wonder if he will even see this post. While I never followed the Great Danes program, they almost did become the first 16 seed to take out a 1 seed, UConn, and would have had no problem calling them "we" to this day in reference to that one game. My freshman year I managed the team at SUNY Oswego, so there is a bit of a we in there for me too, and my sophomore year I was friends/lab partners with 2 of the stars on the Herkimer County CC's women's team and even wrote an article on them, so there is a bit lesser of a we there too.

I've rooted for the orangemen for as long as I can remember, and after bitter battles against Georgetown would go outdoors and shovel off the court and shoot for 2 or 3 hours, transferring their game emotion to my own skill honing. I think shooting in those blizzards as a teenager was my way of saying "we" without actually saying it. This thread wasn't as bad as some make it sound, I think we got to know each other a bit better and become more of our own "we".

Yes sir, one of the great things about being a fan is there's something in it for each of us; and you get to choose, or even make, what that is.

Just an opinion: SU2NASA has a sense of humor and was probably stirring the pot. To my recollection, he has never derided us non-matriculated fans and never complained when we referred to "we" and "us".

He is a consistently die hard SU fan and great poster. Besides, without his most excellent research and highly placed connections we would never have known that OU to the B1G is imminent, unless things change.

I appreciate the defense but in this case my post was mostly serious.

This isn't about who can be a fan and who can't, and definitely not about deriding anyone, or questioning anyone's fandom, the original post is about using the word "we". To me it's a separate question (and no, as you know you won't here me correcting anyone or complaining because they say we or us).

Let me caveat all of this by saying that none of this opinion should matter to anyone. So for everyone that's thought "hey, I don't care what you say, I say we" then great, go ahead, it's your fandom and you can express it however you want. There's no rules to fandom but that doesn't mean I can't have a definition for myself of what a fan truly is. Someone that supports the team no matter how they're doing, and lives and dies with them, that's a true fan. Someone who just jumps on the bandwagon when times are good, that's not a true fan to me. Whatever I think about whether someone is a true fan or not doesn't matter, nor should it. People can do or like whatever they want.

As far as saying "we" though, my opinion traces back to when I was a kid. As you know, I grew up in Michigan, and as a Michigan fan when I was little. I can't possibly count the number of Saturdays I've spent at games in Ann Arbor. My dad took me to games and still goes to a number of UofM games each year. He went to Eastern Michigan a few miles down in Ypsilanti and he's never used "we" when he talks about UofM, and I never did until I actually went to grad school there. He/I was a fan, we weren't part of the university.

A good friend of ours that I met growing up grew up in Dewitt, never went to SU, and he's perhaps the biggest SU fan that I know. I've met a lot of people on this board, many of which never attended SU and I know they're great fans. The question wasn't about who's a fan, it's about using the term "we" to connect yourself to the team.

Call it arrogance, whatever you want, but in my opinion those teams exist to represent Syracuse University, not Syracuse, NY. It's no different that it's called Syracuse University than if it was called Gennesee College. Regardless of what the school's name is, the teams play for the school. They represent the students and the alumni that attend and have attended that school. This is all connected to my belief that you should be a fan of your undergrad school above all others (like I am for SU over UofM). My fiance went to Elon but is from Chapel Hill and she'd say that she would root for UNC over Elon. In my opinion, you root for Elon because you are a part of that school and that team represents your school.

Again, if you disagree it doesn't matter just like it doesn't matter that this is my opinion on the matter. Be a fan, I think it's great that SU has such a huge, passionate fanbase, and there is zero doubt that it is majorly driven by those that never went to school there. SU would not have the Carrier Dome or the record crowds, or the program it has without the support of those of you in central NY.

This isn't about who can be a fan and who can't, and definitely not about deriding anyone, or questioning anyone's fandom, the original post is about using the word "we". To me it's a separate question (and no, as you know you won't here me correcting anyone or complaining because they say we or us).

Let me caveat all of this by saying that none of this opinion should matter to anyone. So for everyone that's thought "hey, I don't care what you say, I say we" then great, go ahead, it's your fandom and you can express it however you want. There's no rules to fandom but that doesn't mean I can't have a definition for myself of what a fan truly is. Someone that supports the team no matter how they're doing, and lives and dies with them, that's a true fan. Someone who just jumps on the bandwagon when times are good, that's not a true fan to me. Whatever I think about whether someone is a true fan or not doesn't matter, nor should it. People can do or like whatever they want.

As far as saying "we" though, my opinion traces back to when I was a kid. As you know, I grew up in Michigan, and as a Michigan fan when I was little. I can't possibly count the number of Saturdays I've spent at games in Ann Arbor. My dad took me to games and still goes to a number of UofM games each year. He went to Eastern Michigan a few miles down in Ypsilanti and he's never used "we" when he talks about UofM, and I never did until I actually went to grad school there. He/I was a fan, we weren't part of the university.

A good friend of ours that I met growing up grew up in Dewitt and he's perhaps the biggest SU fan that I know. I've met a lot of people on this board, many of which never attended SU and I know they're great fans. The question wasn't about who's a fan, it's about using the term "we" to connect yourself to the team.

Call it arrogance, whatever you want, but in my opinion those teams exist to represent Syracuse University, not Syracuse, NY. It's no different that it's called Syracuse University than if it was called Gennesee College. Regardless of what the school's name is, the teams play for the school. They represent the students and the alumni that attend and have attended that school. This is all connected to my belief that you should be a fan of your undergrad school above all others (like I am for SU over UofM). My fiance went to Elon but is from Chapel Hill and she'd say that she would root for UNC over Elon. In my opinion, you root for Elon because you are a part of that school and that team represents your school.

Again, if you disagree it doesn't matter just like it doesn't matter that this is my opinion on the matter. Be a fan, I think it's great that SU has such a huge, passionate fanbase, and there is zero doubt that it is majorly driven by those that never went to school there. SU would not have the Carrier Dome or the record crowds, or the program it has without the support of those of you in central NY.

I am not picking on anyone or this post but it bolws me away that people can grow up fans of one team and then change later in life. I dont get it. I have a college friend who grew up in Florida and was a RABID Florida fan (so he tells me) growing up. Gators 24/7. Well then he moves to Syracuse and now he bleeds Orange and could care less about Florida. I really have a hard time grasping this. I went to a SUNY school but if I did go to a private D1 school that had a great football/hoops team there is no way in holy hell I would root for them, especially over Syracuse. I'd rather kiss my sister. Maybe I was just raised differently.

The dome was insanely loud that night. I mean off the charts

When everyone was talking about the Duke game being the greatest in the Dome's history, I'd go with that Butler game. There should be a Syracuse fan merit badge for those that were there that night.

When everyone was talking about the Duke game being the greatest in the Dome's history, I'd go with that Butler game. There should be a Syracuse fan merit badge for those that were there that night.

Its in my top 5 best games I have ever watched at the Dome thats for sure.

A good friend of ours that I met growing up grew up in Dewitt, never went to SU, and he's perhaps the biggest SU fan that I know. I've met a lot of people on this board, many of which never attended SU and I know they're great fans. The question wasn't about who's a fan, it's about using the term "we" to connect yourself to the team.

I stand corrected. Thanks for your opinion, candid honesty and explanation.

We respectfully disagree, no hard feelings. My dad taught me to be an Orange fan, I teach my kids to do the same.

On to important matters:

1). Can I still enjoy your posts and think you are a good poster? (Read with sarcasm)

2) What's the latest on OU?

I stand corrected. Thanks for your opinion, candid honesty and explanation.

We respectfully disagree, no hard feelings. My dad taught me to be an Orange fan, I teach my kids to do the same.

As well you should. I'd be disappointed in you if you didn't.

My dad taught me to be a Lions fan and I hate him for it every day.

On to important matters:

1). Can I still enjoy your posts and think you are a good poster? (Read with sarcasm)

Let's be serious, you're never thought I was a good poster.

2) What's the latest on OU?

I'm hearing it's imminent. Unless things change of course.

I am not picking on anyone or this post but it bolws me away that people can grow up fans of one team and then change later in life. I dont get it. I have a college friend who grew up in Florida and was a RABID Florida fan (so he tells me) growing up. Gators 24/7. Well then he moves to Syracuse and now he bleeds Orange and could care less about Florida. I really have a hard time grasping this. I went to a SUNY school but if I did go to a private D1 school that had a great football/hoops team there is no way in holy hell I would root for them, especially over Syracuse. I'd rather kiss my sister. Maybe I was just raised differently.
Sir, I respectfully demand that you keep the kissing your sister stuff where it belongs, West Virginia, Kentucky and Auburn Alabama.

On a serious note, I am just glad your friend matured from being a Gator fan to an Orange fan. I get your point but having lived in Florida I learned people are supposed to overlook the faults for blind obedience. Gator Haters are very decisive in hatred mainly because of the SEC win at all costs mentality, a.k.a. cheating.

I grew up a UConn fan. Do you blame me for changing my allegiance later in life?
Some might call it good sense.

I will say that a lot of friends I grew up with remain UConn fans or went to UConn. As a comparison of the two fan bases, my Facebook feed blows up with SU alums and fans after every single game. Except for one friend who has UConn football season tickets and my friend's mom who occasionally posts something about UConn women's basketball, you wouldn't know they exist.

If I was a UConn fan still, I would be so jealous of the passion that SU fans show for Syracuse.

I grew up a UConn fan. Do you blame me for changing my allegiance later in life?

I will say that a lot of friends I grew up with remain UConn fans or went to UConn. After every game, my Facebook feed blows up with SU alums and fans. Every. Single. Game. Except for one friend who has UConn football season tickets and my friend's mom who occasionally posts something about UConn women's basketball, you wouldn't know they exist.

If I was a UConn fan still, I would be so jealous of the passion that SU fans show for Syracuse.

Well that of course is the exception to the rule. I would rather eat dog crap off a toilet seat than root for that program

There must have been only 12,000 people in that joint but it was rocking.
Not a chance in hell there were 12,000 there that night. I'd wager it was closer to 5 or 6k, honestly. Out of all of my friends, I was the only one who went, and they sure as hell missed out. It was a great game, and despite being such a tiny crowd, it was a GREAT crowd. It's the only game I ever went to solo, but it was so worth it.

Not a chance in hell there were 12,000 there that night. I'd wager it was closer to 5 or 6k, honestly. Out of all of my friends, I was the only one who went, and they sure as hell missed out. It was a great game, and despite being such a tiny crowd, it was a GREAT crowd. It's the only game I ever went to solo, but it was so worth it.

I think there were 10,000 if I am not mistaken. would love to get clarification on that.

When people say WE need to play better, I, respond,
that I am watching the best I can.

I will say that a lot of friends I grew up with remain UConn fans or went to UConn. As a comparison of the two fan bases, my Facebook feed blows up with SU alums and fans after every single game. Except for one friend who has UConn football season tickets and my friend's mom who occasionally posts something about UConn women's basketball, you wouldn't know they exist.

I'm just glad you saw the Orange light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom