There has been some concern by some that | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

Jesse is going to be the focus of the team next year and will be playing more than 30 minutes a game. And he should, he could be an All-American. That doesn't leave much PT for a backup, Frank probably will portal do to that fact and no other talented 5 will want it either. Ballard and Carey could get a few minutes to give Jesse some rest, that is all they will be needed for.
I'm skeptical a center can make it through a season playing 30+. It's a lot of wear and tear on their bodies.

Yes, but he wasn't there for Duke, thus my reference. Kid played good and looked the most natural he has looked at SU.
I think Joe can have a really nice season. Yes, he may draw more attention, but I don't think that bothers him. ASSUMING, Jim doesn't run him 35 MPG at point, he will be very productive. I feel bad for the kid. I know he gets his minutes but Jim has put him in a rough spot for three years. JGIII takes a ton of fan criticism and, IMO, it's because Jim has played him out of position.

I'm skeptical a center can make it through a season playing 30+. It's a lot of wear and tear on their bodies.
You are correct, especially in a big time conference like the ACC. This is why I have been so critical of Jim in recent years. What really set me over the edge with him was playing Marek damn near 40 MPG at Center in the ACC for 2 years. That was massively unfair to MD and did a disservice to the team. He had options and he decided not to use them. What he did to Marek was just awful.

In this era of recruiting with portal, coaches really need to advise players where their best fit is. Frank's best fit might be on a team that plays man D and has a board crashing O. He could get more PT at Syracuse due to the factors you cited.

In this era of recruiting with portal, coaches really need to advise players where their best fit is. Frank's best fit might be on a team that plays man D and has a board crashing O. He could get more PT at Syracuse due to the factors you cited.
And I didn't even cite his propensity to foul with abandon at times. I forget which game it was this season where Jesse only had 2 fouls with about 3 minutes left and I was thinking he was going to make it without fouling out. I'll be darned if he didn't pick up his 3rd soon after and then two fouls in 10 seconds inside the final minute!

And I didn't even cite his propensity to foul with abandon at times. I forget which game it was this season where Jesse only had 2 fouls with about 3 minutes left and I was thinking he was going to make it without fouling out. I'll be darned if he didn't pick up his 3rd soon after and then two fouls in 10 seconds inside the final minute!
He should make a decision soon. There are guys in the portal who would be a good fit.

Oscar Tshihbwe played 31.8 MPG.
Kofi Cockburn played 30.7 MPG.

That is what we should expect from Jesse.

Which is why losing Frank would suck.

Our HC didn’t want to sit the starters last year hopefully that is out of his system. We played players too damn much. We had the worst 4 year stretch in JB’s career. This 4 year stretch tied the Nichols/Watkins/Roberts class for fewest NCAAT wins in JB’s tenure at 2.

Change it up.

There’s about 4500 D1 basketball players. Adjusting for graduation, gets you about 3700 players. So over a quarter of all players are in the portal…..wow

If you add in the incoming freshmen, it means roughly 45% roster turnover each year. Tough to build a stable team in the new college landscape
That’s why you have to take November results with a grain of salt.

Our HC didn’t want to sit the starters last year hopefully that is out of his system. We played players too damn much. We had the worst 4 year stretch in JB’s career. This 4 year stretch tied the Nichols/Watkins/Roberts class for fewest NCAAT wins in JB’s tenure at 2.

Change it up.
I'm going to disagree here a bit
Cockburn is 300 LBs
Tshihbwe is 260
Edwards is 225

Those first two can handle a lot more banging around. Plus, they were the two best centers in college basketball.

Cockburn is 300 LBs
Tshihbwe is 260
Edwards is 225

Those first two can handle a lot more banging around. Plus, they were the two best centers in college basketball.
I think his point is the 2 best centers in college basketball ONLY averaged 30 mins per game. If they were at Syracuse they would have averaged 39mpg. Sometimes less minutes is better. Keeps guys fresher and less injuries over the season.

I think his point is the 2 best centers in college basketball ONLY averaged 30 mins per game. If they were at Syracuse they would have averaged 39mpg. Sometimes less minutes is better. Keeps guys fresher and less injuries over the season.
It will be interesting to see the minutes distribution this year - I think the PT has been skewed a bit the last few years for reasons well documented. Question is does JB open up or keep it limited.

Cockburn is 300 LBs
Tshihbwe is 260
Edwards is 225

I can list more. Mark Williams 24MPG, Walker Kessler 26 MPG, Adama Sonogo 29MPG.

Jesse shouldn’t be expected to play more than around 30 MPG.

We need depth at the position and have it.
Losing Frank is bad considering after next year he would be the starter and get those minutes and he likes it here.

Change it up.
And that was right after winning a national championship.

If you were playing pickup ball, you would pick Jesse everytime and that's how Boeheim and a lot of coaches, most, look at segments of the game. You have 2 halfs, which are really 2, 20 minute games to begin with.

I can list more. Mark Williams 24MPG, Walker Kessler 26 MPG, Adama Sonogo 29MPG.

Jesse shouldn’t be expected to play more than around 30 MPG.

We need depth at the position and have it.
Losing Frank is bad considering after next year he would be the starter and get those minutes and he likes it here.
Edwards should absolutely be in that Kessler/Williams range. I think 25 MPG is absolutely the sweet spot. And you are correct, losing Frank would be a major loss. I'd be willing to wager Jim is gonna resort to old habits and beat Jesse into the ground without a proper replacement (assuming Frank moves on).

Ahhhhh I definitely misinterpreted lol. I'll have my 7 year old review fundamental reading with me tonight.

My bad.

If you were playing pickup ball, you would pick Jesse everytime and that's how Boeheim and a lot of coaches, most, look at segments of the game. You have 2 halfs, which are really 2, 20 minute games to begin with.
Cous - You are playing a game on here that nobody else even knows the rules to. You continue to amaze me more and more with each post.

Um no.
I ljke Jesse he isn’t the best big in the nation.
I would take Tshiebwe first. You as you normally do just want troll heat.
Jesse is solid as a rock he isn’t the best.
If your coaching Syracuse your choice is Jesse or Frank.

Cous - You are playing a game on here that nobody else even knows the rules to. You continue to amaze me more and more with each post.
I'm saying the score is tied with 8 minutes left in the second half, you want to send your best 5 out unless one of them is acting fatigued. Teams that blow a lot of teams out like Auburn can sit guys more.

hey that's what I said earlier today!
Chaz and JAB have to decide whether to portal without knowing they will have a decent place to land. Big decision. Frank can leave and get starter minutes at a lower level however to improve a raw player like Frank needs to practice every day against good players. Also a big decision.

I'm saying the score is tied with 8 minutes left in the second half, you want to send your best 5 out unless one of them is acting fatigued. Teams that blow a lot of teams out like Auburn can sit guys more.
Can you name the 5 best players in Syracuse Basketball History? (This is your opinion) I want to show you something.

While I understand that sentiment, the issue is when the player has played the previous 32 minutes in that scenario. Jesse can/should play as many of those crucial minutes as possible. But when you run a guy into the ground (especially at a physically demanding spot like Center), you don't have them for those 8 minutes. You expose him to way too much contact, physical demand and risk of fouling out.

Can you name the 5 best players in Syracuse Basketball History? (This is your opinion) I want to show you something.
That would take a lot of thinking and would derail this thread which I already take a lot of heat for in other threads.

That would take a lot of thinking and would derail this thread which I already take a lot of heat for in other threads.
1 post, 5 names. It’s part of the discussion, I promise. There is a point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom