There have been thousands of championship games in | Syracusefan.com

There have been thousands of championship games in

These players have been playing organized ball constantly for over a decade. They've learned not to talk back to refs, or they are out of the game.

These players have been playing organized ball constantly for over a decade. They've learned not to talk back to refs, or they are out of the game.

Exactly

This isn't like pickup ball with a bunch of idiots that argue every single call you make even though they are wrong 100% of the time...but it's like arguing with a brick wall. In fact Id rather smash my head into a brick wall.

Yes this has happened to me a few times over the years.

Exactly

This isn't like pickup ball with a bunch of idiots that argue every single call you make even though they are wrong 100% of the time...but it's like arguing with a brick wall. In fact Id rather smash my head into a brick wall.

Yes this has happened to me a few times over the years.

Would have been a better watch had they allowed the kids to call their own fouls.

Without question one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Stephens and Eades were two of the officials, who was the third one?

edit: Never mind, found it. It was Verne Harris and he was atrocious. Seems he thought everyone bought tickets to come out and watch him blow his whistle.

Last edited:
Without question one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Stephens and Eades were two of the officials, who was the third one?

Verne Harris. Eades and Stephens did most of the action though. Predictably.

Verne Harris. Eades and Stephens did most of the action though. Predictably.

Thanks, but I thought Harris was by far the worst. It seemed like he was anticipating "foul" on every look. But what do I know? :noidea:

I get it, and played organized basketball for my entire youth. I wasn't some high level athlete, but dealt with refs.

That said, they worked for this moment all those years, and had to deal with this. HS, or AAU ball and a bad call, whatever. Championship game in HS, or AAU still doesn't come close to this.

Many complained, but kept their composure. I'm sure I would do the same, but each team is shaking their head at how this was called. It was a disgrace. Not that UNC wouldn't have won with different refs, but this wasn't a fair game either way. It wasn't basketball.

This is exactly what I concluded. That's why it bothers me so much as we simply didn't get to see an actual basketball game involving two really good teams.

And this one could have been one of the best.

Could have. sigh...

I agree with the out of bounds calls, several of them, but replays showed many of the fouls were fouls. There was one or two I recall that no one was touched, but both of these teams played tight man-to-man defense and there were definitely plenty of fouls being made.

Eades is quickly moving up the "how does this guy keep getting big games" scale.

I agree with the out of bounds calls, several of them, but replays showed many of the fouls were fouls. There was one or two I recall that no one was touched, but both of these teams played tight man-to-man defense and there were definitely plenty of fouls being made.

Contact doesn't always mean there is a foul. If no advantage is gained, there is no foul.

One call here, one call there. It happens. It happened far too much last night, but it happens.

What I found to be criminal was the fact Gonzaga had 3 big men in foul trouble halfway through the second half, including the best player on the court, who was effectively sidelined by the referees for a majority of the game.

That National Championship should've been Few vs Roy. Meeks vs Karnowski. Hicks vs Collins. Jackson vs Williams-Goss. Berry vs Perkins. ...and down the line. Instead we got a war of attrition in which the team who survived the officiating won.

I hope those refs are proud of the fact they stole a Championship Game from a bunch of kids and made it about themselves.

One call here, one call there. It happens. It happened far too much last night, but it happens.

What I found to be criminal was the fact Gonzaga had 3 big men in foul trouble halfway through the second half, including the best player on the court, who was effectively sidelined by the referees for a majority of the game.

That National Championship should've been Few vs Roy. Meeks vs Karnowski. Hicks vs Collins. Jackson vs Williams-Goss. Berry vs Perkins. ...and down the line. Instead we got a war of attrition in which the team who survived the officiating won.

I hope those refs are proud of the fact they stole a Championship Game from a bunch of kids and made it about themselves.

I would love to see a replay of each of Collins' fouls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom