They Fixed Preferred Pricing! | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

They Fixed Preferred Pricing!

Just got my answers. ALL donations to the Orange Pack count towards the donation required for parking passes to either sport. So a basketball donation does count towards the required orange pack donation for the Fine Lot.

I added up all costs for football and basketball seats, donations and parking and it looks like my total bill goes down a little. For some it will go up, some down.

Did you find out what next year's 2017-2018 basketball tickets and basketball donation levels are? On-line info for preferred seating on cause.com won't come up for me. Did you have to call to get that info? Are basketball ticket prices set yet to compare? Thanks.

Just got my answers. ALL donations to the Orange Pack count towards the donation required for parking passes to either sport. So a basketball donation does count towards the required orange pack donation for the Fine Lot.

I added up all costs for football and basketball seats, donations and parking and it looks like my total bill goes down a little. For some it will go up, some down.

I also confirmed today that nothing was lost in translation, I get to go to brunch for an extra $1,000.

Did you find out what next year's 2017-2018 basketball tickets and basketball donation levels are? On-line info for preferred seating on cause.com won't come up for me. Did you have to call to get that info? Are basketball ticket prices set yet to compare? Thanks.

Preferred A donation for basketball will be $800 per seat. Not sure what the other levels will cost.

Sounds like these are good improvements, but if they're raising parking prices I hope they do it across the board. Not fair when students are paying heavily subsidized low rates and taking spots from paid donors in places like Fine.

Heavily subsidized? Students are paying nearly $500/year to park in lots like Fine. I'm not sure I would call that heavily subsidized.

http://parking.syr.edu/wp-content/u...Student-Lot-Criteria-2-5-percent-increase.pdf

$500 for 8 months.

$500 for 7 Saturdays. (Or is it 7 Saturdays plus 20 basketball dates, subject to certain time restrictions?)

Either way, I feel pretty strongly about who's subsidizing whom. And this is disregarding my bias against entitled former law school colleagues.

Bottom line: as Bees stated his cost actually went down a tiny bit. I heard a small minority of preferred FB/BB folks will pay more. The only other group paying more is FB only folks in nonpreferred but parking in areas like Stadium West.

For them I suggest looking at upgrading your tickets to recover the extra $175 annual donation.

Who did you get your answers from? Did you just call the Box Office?

I want to call the right person to see what my football only group's options are. And if my separate Orange Club donation can be leveraged at all.

$500 for 8 months.

$500 for 7 Saturdays. (Or is it 7 Saturdays plus 20 basketball dates, subject to certain time restrictions?)

Either way, I feel pretty strongly about who's subsidizing whom. And this is disregarding my bias against entitled former law school colleagues.

Well to be fair, they are also chipping in $40,000+ per year for tuition (I know, most aren't paying full sticker price), so maybe they actually are subsidizing your parking space?

Well to be fair, they are also chipping in $40,000+ per year for tuition (I know, most aren't paying full sticker price), so maybe they actually are subsidizing your parking space?

To be more fair, I'd argue (and have) that the students who pay tuition but don't choose to occupy 170 square feet of parking space are subsidizing the students who do drive and pay that token fee, which can't possibly cover the expense of maintaining all those spaces and running a department dedicated to administering parking.

But I'm comparing students and football fans in Fine because their interests necessarily butt heads when SU double-sells the spots for football games.

To be more fair, I'd argue (and have) that the students who pay tuition but don't choose to occupy 170 square feet of parking space are subsidizing the students who do drive and pay that token fee, which can't possibly cover the expense of maintaining all those spaces and running a department dedicated to administering parking.

But I'm comparing students and football fans in Fine because their interests necessarily butt heads when SU double-sells the spots for football games.

As far as double-selling spaces - that's not right and that's definitely on the University. And I don't think the solution is to charge more for student parking. They are already fee'd to death. The University appears to just be working off of supply and demand (although it sounds like they offer more supply than they actually have). If people won't pay the price to park there, then it will lower. Doesn't make it right, but they are trying to maximize revenue and have done things like this before at the expense of fans.

As far as double-selling spaces - that's not right and that's definitely on the University. And I don't think the solution is to charge more for student parking. They are already fee'd to death. The University appears to just be working off of supply and demand (although it sounds like they offer more supply than they actually have). If people won't pay the price to park there, then it will lower. Doesn't make it right, but they are trying to maximize revenue and have done things like this before at the expense of fans.

I had a Standart parking pass when I was a student in the early 90's. The deal with those lots back then was that you had to move your vehicle out of the lot by 9am on game day. They let you park at Skytop and ride the bus back. They would then go through the lots and ticket all the vehicles with student parking passes. Not sure if that's even the policy anymore, but they don't enforce it. And they really haven't needed to except for maybe 1-2 games a year.

Per website - Level A preferred seat for basketball is going to be $800 per seat, Level A preferred seat for football is $295. This doesn't include season ticket and parking.

If true that is a huge issue. "A" level preferred for BOTH sports was $855 this year I believe. There was a substantial discount if you were an "A" level donor for both. If they decouple and leave the basketball only donation the same ($800) it's a 28% increase. I might drop a level or two in football just to offset the change. Fine with decoupling but I would expect my basketball donation to drop a bit. Does feel good committing to football where the marginal value of a premium seat is arguably much less than basketball before the basketball plan is released.

Last edited:
It looks like C level premium alone increased $100. From $790 to $890. This has really crept up over the years. It will be interesting to see how much the 2017-2018 basketball tickets will be.

Around my football seats, the empty seats seem to be the "inherited" seats , where parents/grandparents/friends who have moved away, become ill etc have given their tickets to kids/grandkids/friends who don't attend or businesses paying for tickets that they don't use regularly.

Hope this new method works - nothing like a filled up dome!!

The comparisons to Clemson are ridiculous. They've continuously expanded their football stadium due to demand for tickets. Syracuse Football doesn't have close to the same support, even during the glory years of the program. The support is so low that they are discussing reducing capacity in what is already one of the smallest Power 5 stadiums. It's a strange tactic to double the price for your most loyal financial supporters when there is extremely low demand for your product. The University could have done numerous things to soften the blow, but all they could come up with is brunch with the coach?
Exactly my point, thanks for making it for me. Mostly we have "fans" that bitch and complain when things change in general. especially when it comes to money for the program, whereas Clemson has fans that are happy to pay and donate pretty much no matter what.

A football only fan huh?
I am a fan of both. I just don't have seasons for Basketball, dono have the time to go during the week with work, kids and travel.

Exactly my point, thanks for making it for me. Mostly we have "fans" that bitch and complain when things change in general. especially when it comes to money for the program, whereas Clemson has fans that are happy to pay and donate pretty much no matter what.

There definitely is a unique culture at the football powers when it comes to that.

I applaud the effort, but there are still at least two big issues -- they continue to sell football tickets from the end zone in rather than from the 50 yard line out; people don't show and when they do they leave early.

My thought is that it would be better to identify how many A, B, C, D, and non-contribution season ticket holders they have and adjust the sections accordingly so that each donor level is filled and then place the non-contribution season ticket holders next to them. If someone doesn't want to move their seat and it lowers their donor level, that's fine. New season ticket holders can fill in as people drop out or be assigned to the next available seat until something opens up. This will the seats will be filled along the sideline.

Also, make it special to be a donor. Give them something unique beyond better seats. Maybe special season ticket holder only gates, concessions, pee troughs, etc. Greater minds than mine can come up with serious ideas, but you have to provide reasons that someone wants to be a season ticket holder and wants to be a donor. Price point is most important, but everyone always wants a little extra.

As for getting people to use their tickets, how about a $1 per game surcharge and that becomes a 50/50. Drawing at start of 4th quarter. Must be present to win. If person is not present, rolls over to next game. The other 50% goes to a "Fans Scholarship" that gets rewarded to a student with same drawing rules -- must be present to win and if not present, rolls over to the next game. Even at 20K season tickets, that's a $10,000 drawing every game for a fan and a $10,000 scholarship grant per game for a student. I'm pretty sure that I'm showing up and staying for $10K. And as season tickets go up, the value of staying increases as well.

Again, I'm glad they're doing something. I figured it out, my six tickets just went down $870. So, I'm thrilled for myself, but I want to see more fans, more students, and (at least) full sidelines. Been going since 1966 and I want to see what I remember with crowds and noise once again.

Bottom line: as Bees stated his cost actually went down a tiny bit. I heard a small minority of preferred FB/BB folks will pay more. The only other group paying more is FB only folks in nonpreferred but parking in areas like Stadium West.

For them I suggest looking at upgrading your tickets to recover the extra $175 annual donation.

That's something I am seriously considering.though I love 308 may move part of my tickets to a preferred area

Mark, explain the logic.

Not sure of the benefits other than putting out more money for better seats.

Last edited:
Big step in the right direction, there are bound to be some bugs with these changes.

If th

If they can find a way to hold the $99 price point for renewals they should be able to find a way that NO ONE has to pay more under the new plan. Unless Bernie is the new pricing guru for Syracuse....

Mark, explain the logic.

Not sure of the benefits other putting out more money for better seats.

It's one thing if we were having Clemson type success I could understand the price increase for parking but a 100% donation jump after the last handful of years, screams money grab. I know the west lot passes have become popular the last couple of years I guess they decided to cash in.