Things i'm hearing... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious how. This wasn’t conducted on campus, the ACC likely controlled the presser.
Put someone in there from AD. It’s a big deal. Shoot out JW in there if you need to.

Good Riddance...good X and O's guy ...but let the great program he built crash and become a mid major... too stuborn to switch defense in the new basketball world of three point shooters ...and treated people like trash ...I went to a hard wood club dinner many years ago...he berated the attendees, his biggest program supporters! It was horrible ,embarrassing, the way he spoke to us telling us if we didn't like the way he coached to "get out" I never went to another one...he made his own ending yesterday with his usual smart ass coy answers to the local press he berated for years...he got the ending he deserved!!

Losing on a buzzer beater certainly didn't help the situation, but if the university really expected him to make the announcement at a post-game press conference - immediately after the last game of his career - then that's the dumbest plan I've ever heard and I don't blame him for sabotaging it. If the plan was for him to deflect so they could have a formal announcement later, then it was kind of crappy for JB to go rogue, but not particularly out of character..

I don’t know what the protocol is for press conferences but it seems to me he usually does them alone. Wondering if having a couple of other players there sort of helped him retain some degree of composure.
The conference tournament press conferences always have players up there.

Remember GMac staring a hole in the table... "NOT 10 GAMES!"

I have to think that the much stronger likelihood is that he went off script, asking for another job with the university. I mean, as others have said, Autry had to have agreed to take the job, and then there's JB saying, "eh, maybe they'll still keep me; it's up to the university".

If I'm Autry, I'm NEVER having Boeheim come to practice, and I'm not giving him a seat anywhere near the bench.
We’ve got a lovely suite for you….

Yep. I'm baffled that there is some expectation that he be handed a lucrative, no-show job.

This ain't the mob.

Guy has all the money he could ever hope to spend in his remaining years on Earth, and his family is set up for long after that. Go get a TV gig (he'd be great at it) or start a non-profit or something.
Yeah, maybe name it the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, if that's not already taken.

Eh. All Jim had to do was say "Today I'm talking about the game we just had and the players who gave everything they had this season, like Jesse and Benny here. There will be time to talk about all that other stuff later."

That's it, that's all he needed to do.

Are you suggesting that a staffer should have leapt in when Donna asked that question and whisked Jim away, secret service style?
Some of the takes on this board are outrageous and very comedic

yeah I'm hoping the school/ad didn't actually plan to have JB announce during a presser following an ACCT loss. that would be a bad plan. I do agree this seems to be almost entirely on JB as to how it went down yesterday - as others have stated best thing would have been him to "no comment" the Qs on his job status and then have a statement and/or planned presser happen today.
JB gonna JB
When this was planned, they probably didn't expect an ACCT loss to be definitively the end of the season. No NCAAs, no bubble, no NIT, no bubble of the NIT. Nothing. Not even a sliver of a doubt about whether it was the last game of the year. There's usually a media availability after the post-season outcome is finalized, if I recall correctly.

I think Roy's job is to attend every UNC game and have a worried look on his face.

Can we just have Boeheim attend every home game courtside, look moderately annoyed, then wait for an opportune moment in the second half, and rip off his sports coat and start screaming at the refs, then throw it down on the court and storm off? The crowd would love it, the broadcast crews would love it, and I'm sure Boeheim would enjoy it too.

I believe the agreement was he would announce it at the last presser of the season (whenever they lost in the ACC's). Something was mismanaged somewhere along the line, but it may just be JB going rogue as he's known to do.

I also know the SU Comms people and Advancement are L-I-V-I-D with the athletic department. They're concerned about how this may affect donors and, obviously, media perception of the university.

Well they should be. The way this was done makes the university look amateurish and petty. Everyone can argue what role Jimmy's stubbornness played in this but the AD department and SU leadership has to be more professional. Poor job by SU

We’ve got a lovely suite for you….

Speaking of suites, hearing someone isn’t happy about all of this.

To do what?

There has to be some functional role in order to have a job. And the way he has acted and submarined things the last 4-5-6 years, what would he do?

Add that to the hovering angle that has already been mentioned... and there is very little upside to keeping him on staff.
If you don't think he can add value to the university you are even more of a fool than I originally thought and that is saying something. Enjoy your victory lap

You may not like this but, what I am hearing is that JB burned a lot of bridges with some of his press conference statements, which he had to walk back and were the final impetus for change. JB knew this would be the last year but he was asking for, I will say "things", the University was not willing to agree to. The plan was not to have JB announce he was retiring in the post-game press conference. As is his practice, he went rogue with a broadside in an effort to extract what he wanted. He once again misread the room and here we are.

Lets go Red! LGO!
All I want to I know is: did he ask to be Deputy AD.

Well they should be. The way this was done makes the university look amateurish and petty. Everyone can argue what role Jimmy's stubbornness played in this but the AD department and SU leadership has to be more professional. Poor job by SU
Alright, you're the AD. You've decided this year is it, and he's retiring or he's out. He refuses to play along and says no he won't announce a retirement, he won't do a big send off, it's on you to make a move if you want to make a move.

You do what, exactly?

the optics were terrible... but JB should have never been left to his own devices answering that question in the presser to begin with. As AZ said, the admin could have squashed the retirement questions, but didn't... everyone shares the blame here and it's unfortunate.
Good luck squashing the questions about retirement.
That presser was undoubtedly administered by an ACC staffer, who knows NOTHING. There are no Jedi mind tricks you can cast on reporters when they smell a story. None that will work out well, at least.

Now, it could have been handled better by the person who was asked the question (JAB)? Sure. But not as easily as you think.

Ask yourself this, all of you amateur PR strategists, ... when do you have this gameplan chat with JAB?

Before the game? "Hey Coach, I know we're about 3 minutes until tip, but remember, if we lose today, you are retiring. Okay? Right?"

After the game? "Sorry Coach. Brutal loss there. That was poor shot selection from JGIII. Sorry about that. Oh, hey, one more thing: remember that you are retiring today. Presser is two doors down the hall. Good luck."

This was never supposed to go down in Greensboro. And it did. Which is unfortunate. That the problem with real life. Most often, it is hard to script.

If you don't think he can add value to the university you are even more of a fool than I originally thought and that is saying something. Enjoy your victory lap
I for one think he certainly can add value to the university. But I'm not sure he's willing to add value to the university, at least not in a way that doesn't meddle with Red and the program.

After the game? "Sorry Coach. Brutal loss there. That was poor shot selection from JGIII. Sorry about that. Oh, hey, one more thing: remember that you are retiring today. Presser is two doors down the hall. Good luck."
I mean this is what you're supposed to do. "Brutal loss coach, sorry. Remember, you're going to be asked about retirement. The plan is just to say you're talking about the game and you'll discuss the future back in Syracuse. Once you shut it down they'll move onto the game."

But my guess is that if you tried to remind Boeheim, you'd get shouldered into the wall on his way to the podium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom