Things i'm hearing... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in another post that my concern was the disrespect for Red as his replacement. Support your guy, even if you aren't fully on board. He's had such an amazing career that will never be duplicated. Time to let someone that you mentored take the reins with dignity.
But Autry may not have been his choice.

The script that said "I'm retiring".
Yes I know but the point was not that he did not follow the “exact script” - he abandoned it entirely with these bizarre and ambiguous comments. Great career and I’m glad he was at the helm, but the way he handled this and really conducted himself throughout year was total clown show. There is really no honest argument to the contrary.

JB did a terrible job of answering questions making himself and the University look bad.

BUT the University didn't have to pile on the way they did. Two wrongs don't make a right. They could have waited until he got back to Syracuse, sat down with JB, and then come up with a plan that would still not be the best, but would have been better than what happened.

As someone has said, it's over now and we need to move on to support Red. I think he will do a great job but needs everyone's support to do it.

JB did a terrible job of answering questions making himself and the University look bad.

BUT the University didn't have to pile on the way they did. Two wrongs don't make a right. They could have waited until he got back to Syracuse, sat down with JB, and then come up with a plan that would still not be the best, but would have been better than what happened.

As someone has said, it's over now and we need to move on to support Red. I think he will do a great job but needs everyone's support to do it.

Problem is he told the players after the presser. He sped up the timeline by doing that. Both could have managed it better but the sequence of events got off the rails it appears partly after the presser and clearly after he spoke with the team.

But Autry may not have been his choice.

In today's game, which isn't the game 20 years ago, the importance of the old guard choosing the new guard can't be understated.

Today, you want that locker room and player/recruit input more than ever as to who is the next guy up. That's the case now with Gen Z be it at the office or in the locker room. From there its about finding that chord to be a teacher and a leader but also one that integrates well with the players. I think Gerry is going to be successful and clearly the guys like him a lot. Red to me has a presence that covers both sides of that but more importantly seems to be the players "guy" from all I've read from those so kind to share. That just matters so much today where 20 years ago even 10 years ago you didn't have to have that as long as you had a hop on the bench. Kids want that from the big man now.

Also while Gerry was a GA on staff before Red, Red has more experience overall and was still higher on the food chain. Thus it's a respect thing and something I'm sure Gmac understands and anyone of our former players can too. Obviously there is a lot more to it as I noted in my first paragraph.

I don’t think he’d be hovering around the program. Besides the new home in Skaneateles he also applied for membership at an exclusive golf course in Florida.
Seminole in Juno Beach?

I think that ship had sailed. The University had to address those comments immediately. No way they could just let everything just sit out there the way it was. What Jim did at that presser was disgraceful & disrespectful to himself, the school, the program and even Red. The amount of scrutiny on the university if they didn't issue a statement ASAP would have been brutal.

Let’s wait and see if JB puts out a message of support for Red after the PC. If we do not see something today then I would be incredibly disappointed with a man who is old enough to know what the right thing to do is.

If he knew he wasn't going to be retained as the head coach, what the heck was the last 10 minutes of his press conference. As many people have already said, he could have been classy, but no.

He already knew Autry was going to be the next coach, before the game was over. But he couldn't help himself, and try to ask one more time, in PUBLIC, if he could keep his job.

If you don't see that, then I'm really sorry for you. But he just crapped all over Autry before he could even be announced as the new coach. "It might still be MY job! It's up to the University."
Agree totally with this and what hoopsupstate and Cusefan69 and tptcuse have said in this thread. It doesn't matter who JB thinks should have gotten the job. We're not talking about an outsider getting the job. It's someone JB has known for more than 30 years and it's a pretty disgraceful way for JB to treat him to not publicly show some sign of support to this point. JB has been very loyal to SU over the years, but I think it's fair to say he's also very loyal to JB. And it's ok to say that. Every single person on this Earth has their good and bad qualities. We don't have to be a JB apologist for everything he does.

Agree totally with this and what hoopsupstate and Cusefan69 and tptcuse have said in this thread. It doesn't matter who JB thinks should have gotten the job. We're not talking about an outsider getting the job. It's someone JB has known for more than 30 years and it's a pretty disgraceful way for JB to treat him to not publicly show some sign of support to this point. JB has been very loyal to SU over the years, but I think it's fair to say he's also very loyal to JB. And it's ok to say that. Every single person on this Earth has their good and bad qualities. We don't have to be a JB apologist for everything he does.
BINGO. This is the part that bothers me the most. The absolute disrespect by Jim to a guy that is supposed to be a close friend. Someone he has known since he was a high school kid. That press conference was an absolute slap in the face to Red. No reason Jim had to do that crap. None.

this is going to gey messy. he wants a job in athletics, and SU said no

Why does it have to get messy? If JB wants to kick all of the litter out of his box, that's his choice and it will reflect poorly on him and it will reinforce that it was the right move. SU doesn't have to engage in a wrestling match about this.
It's not his right to dictate things.
If he truly loves SU, he will take some time, calm down and go enjoy the rest of his life.

I've wondered if there was really any harm in letting things be a crap show for another day or two. With all the conference tournaments going on, I think the bizarre press conference would have been pushed to the background. Then with everyone back in Syracuse and a little less emotional something more polished could have been done.

In the end I agree with whoever said what happened happened and it's time to move on, but I wish it went a different way.

I think it’s simple. JB was being a complete jerk. The fact that he hasn’t said one word supporting Autry says it all. Once again, its all about himself.
He has always been a crusty man. He has spent his whole life around SU basketball and it's been taken away. I'm hoping he has had enough time to decompress and shows up at today's presser to support Red.

JB would have been just as pissy if he was told not to come back and Gmac was named coach. He never wants to leave and was never going to be able to make that decision.
This is incorrect.

A few people have mentioned that it’s possible that Red was not JB’s first choice. I’m beginning to wonder if this is also true. This is what happened to Duke.
haven't heard this, but i do know that Red was described to me as "JW's guy"...so maybe the implication was JB differed with him on that?

Some of you are way too into the drama of things. You sound like some of my 7th grade students. We don't know what JB and Red have discussed privately. If they're fine with each other, which we don't know one way or the other, I don't see why it should matter to the rest of us. If JAB isn't at the presser and doesn't say anything today congratulating Red, I'll be mildly disappointed, but forget about it soon after. Today starts a new era in Syracuse basketball. I thank Boeheim for his decades of service to the University, but I've moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom