This forum and fan negativity | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This forum and fan negativity

HCDM should look at this forum after the turn around. Both in the FB program and posters here. He should take pride in the what he has done to this program and how many of the naysayers are now eating their earlier opinions. It comes with the territory too. As a head FB coach when you are losing the boos dominate but when you are winning the kudos are everywhere. SU FB fans have been so use to losing that negativity almost becomes a habit. Thank you HCDM for freeing us from our addiction.

This forum is not the problem. Syracuse.com forum is. Not moderated properly. And if Doug thinks fans turn on him here, wait till he gets an NFL job.

But I honestly don't believe any of this is the problem. Recruiting takes you away from family, is a headache in and of itself, and has been difficult at Syracuse the past couple years. In the NFL, you don't have to recruit and you still get paid good money.

That's what I believe the bottom line is.
And, IMO, this is precisely why DM is leveraging his hand at this time. Recruiting would be much easier and probably less time consuming if you had a better product to sell.

I really hope this can be worked out. DM is the right guy to restore this program to national prominence but he definitely can't do it alone. Get the practice facility funded!

And, IMO, this is precisely why DM is leveraging his hand at this time. Recruiting would be much easier and probably less time consuming if you had a better product to sell.

I really hope this can be worked out. DM is the right guy to restore this program to national prominence but he definitely can't do it alone. Get the practice facility funded!

Sounds like having the BoT's support and commitement to facilities is NOT the problem. Support is there. I'm just talking about recruiting in general

Nice try. You, and maybe Doug, don't get around much do you? If this is the case, then he better not take the Bills job, nor any NFL job. Go read the venting on those boards. He better hope to win the super bowl every year. Go read the venting on boards of other schools after a loss or a bad season. This place isn't any better or worse than others.

You might also know that internet boards are a small community, not the general fanbase. I assume now that after WVU going 7-6 and losing to us, they can expect their recruiting to go to hell because of the venting on WV boards.

Yea, if Doug leaves this board is the reason why.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nice try. You, and maybe Doug, don't get around much do you? If this is the case, then he better not take the Bills job, nor any NFL job. Go read the venting on those boards. He better hope to win the super bowl every year. Go read the venting on boards of other schools after a loss or a bad season. This place isn't any better or worse than others.

You might also know that internet boards are a small community, not the general fanbase. I assume now that after WVU going 7-6 and losing to us, they can expect their recruiting to go to hell because of the venting on WV boards.

I think we pretty much both gave the same reponse,lol. That initial post was beyond delusional.

I think some people are missing the point and taking things too personally. It sounds like the concern that Marrone has is the impact and contributing factor that message boards have on possible recruits. Since he is doing the recruiting, I could be wrong but he probably has a good idea what factors are causing kids not to commit or look at SU. As has been mentioned you combine the message boards with sh!tty facilities and lousy attendance - then duh, recruits are going to be impacted by that. Some of you are getting p!ssed off as if Marrone is being a baby about message boards and missing the big picture. It's the whole thing and he's not considering going to the NFL because he can't handle people talking about everything - he knows that with all the factors combined this program is almost as far along as it can go.

He'll, I frequent a Pats board that has a bunch of posters who hate on Belichick. You know, that crappy coach who's only been to 5 Super Bowls in 11 years.

I'm going to say it bluntly: if our coaches lose recruits because of random, anonymous Internet posts, then they suck at recruiting.

I think some people are missing the point and taking things too personally. It sounds like the concern that Marrone has is the impact and contributing factor that message boards have on possible recruits. Since he is doing the recruiting, I could be wrong but he probably has a good idea what factors are causing kids not to commit or look at SU. As has been mentioned you combine the message boards with sh!tty facilities and lousy attendance - then duh, recruits are going to be impacted by that. Some of you are getting p!ssed off as if Marrone is being a baby about message boards and missing the big picture. It's the whole thing and he's not considering going to the NFL because he can't handle people talking about everything - he knows that with all the factors combined this program is almost as far along as it can go.

How do other coaches recruit successfully then?

Agree.

A full, excited dome is the number one recruiting tool you can have at SU. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will ever happen. If DM realizes that, then why not move on to bigger and better things?

If we're 11-0 next year heading into our last game, I think the Dome would sell out. Just don't see us being 11-0 though.

A message board has very little effect.

Agree.

A full, excited dome is the number one recruiting tool you can have at SU. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will ever happen. If DM realizes that, then why not move on to bigger and better things?

If we're 11-0 next year heading into our last game, I think the Dome would sell out. Just don't see us being 11-0 though.

A message board has very little effect.

Didn't we draw 45K vs West Virginia just last year?

I just don't understand some of the attendance stuff. If this program comes out next year playing a similar brand of exciting football as it did this season, and wins some games, we'll draw just fine. There's no need to be 11-0.

If SU is, say, 5-2 and playing Clemson or Florida State in late October is there any doubt we'd draw at least 45K?

I know that Doug is disguted with lack of fan support and the negative fans

I feel that this board is major contributor to that problem. For the past year this forum was almost unreadable with its plethora of contunous negative posts. It was just awful actually. It was many people and you know who you are. Everyone of you was dead wrong on your crtiticisms of the staff and the decisions that they made.

This is the main internet forum and this is a powerful medium, maybe more so than the PS itself. This forum is a major force in the mindset of the fan base as a whole. So the perpetual negative posting takes a toll on the program. So if we lose Doug consider yourselves as a major force contributing to him leaving.

is this post serious?

so if marrone takes a 300% raise and decides to coach at the highest level its my fault for questioning him that we lost 8 straight d1 games?

yeah right.

Didn't we draw 45K vs West Virginia just last year?

I just don't understand some of the attendance stuff. If this program comes out next year playing a similar brand of exciting football as it did this season, and wins some games, we'll draw just fine. There's no need to be 11-0.

If SU is, say, 5-2 and playing Clemson or Florida State in late October is there any doubt we'd draw at least 45K?

Yes there is doubt, and that is the problem. The dome holds 50k. That is peanuts compared to some of these other stadiums. We haven't had a sellout in years. It is sad. 45k against #9 WVU when we are 4-2 isn't good. And we shouldn't settle on 45k being OK. JMO.

The fan base just isn't there and we can't compete with other rapid fan bases that do help recruiting.

I feel that this board is major contributor to that problem. For the past year this forum was almost unreadable with its plethora of contunous negative posts. It was just awful actually. It was many people and you know who you are. Everyone of you was dead wrong on your crtiticisms of the staff and the decisions that they made.

This is the main internet forum and this is a powerful medium, maybe more so than the PS itself. This forum is a major force in the mindset of the fan base as a whole. So the perpetual negative posting takes a toll on the program. So if we lose Doug consider yourselves as a major force contributing to him leaving.

if this post had even a sniff of truth, it truly is a miracle that boeheim is still at SU.

he has endure 100000000x worse treatment from the forums than marrone. and that is being conservative in my estimate.

Marrone is not going to leave SU because of a negative fan board. Stop it already. It's the NFL. If you said a recruit didn't come to SU because of negativity then that is something else.

Marrone admitted at a luncheon this year that he had the athletic department set-up a facebook and twitter account so he could get a positive message out to recruits because of the negative comments on the internet. He primarily referred to the Syracuse.Com board and the posts made by a guy named Florida Steve. He claimed that they have lost recruits in the past due to all the negativity on the internet and they are now directing recruits to go to the twitter, facebook, and SU internet sites for their info about SU football.

What? Really? For all anyone knows, FloridaSteve is a Buttgers fan.

Yes there is doubt, and that is the problem. The dome holds 50k. That is peanuts compared to some of these other stadiums. We haven't had a sellout in years. It is sad. 45k against #9 WVU when we are 4-2 isn't good. And we shouldn't settle on 45k being OK. JMO.

The fan base just isn't there and we can't compete with other rapid fan bases that do help recruiting.

Why compare Syracuse to Alabama, or Michigan, or Texas, or whatever? We're not them, never have been, never will be.

There are many programs, public and private, that draw in the 40s and are successful enough. Stanford and Oregon State leap to mind.

The newspaper board is a joke, it's too bad that it might be the only thing that recruits would be exposed to, this place isn't attached to any of the three main recruiting sites and that hurts, because as bad as it is at times, it's a million times better than syracuse.com.

There's been a pretty constant stream of stupid posts on this board at times, but only a handful of people have obvious anti-marrone agendas.

I can honestly say that anyone who thinks syracusefan.com is more negative than any other fan forum (college or NFL) on the internet has never been to another fan forum on the internet.

Marrone admitted at a luncheon this year that he had the athletic department set-up a facebook and twitter account so he could get a positive message out to recruits because of the negative comments on the internet. He primarily referred to the Syracuse.Com board and the posts made by a guy named Florida Steve. He claimed that they have lost recruits in the past due to all the negativity on the internet and they are now directing recruits to go to the twitter, facebook, and SU internet sites for their info about SU football.

Those idiots obviously have no credibility, and some are Rutgers plants, but the issue with that is that since it's tied to the newspaper site, and they won't regulate, the program has to spend time and effort knocking stuff down.

Why compare Syracuse to Alabama, or Michigan, or Texas, or whatever? We're not them, never have been, never will be.

There are many programs, public and private, that draw in the 40s and are successful enough. Stanford and Oregon State leap to mind.

Wasn't necessarily referring to those schools, but thanks for putting them in there. No let's compare them to WVU and VT.

If you can't fill up the Dome, then paint the seats Orange. Way too much silver, which highlights the lack of attendance.

Syracuse.com comment section has been the worst thing for the program(s) possible.

The fact they allow the **** that gets posted on there to remain is a serious issue.

Kids who do not know much about Syracuse at first, the first site they go to is syracuse.com and the football forum / articles. The crap they see leaves very negative perceptions with them. Then they visit, and there are only 34k at the Dome for a game against a ranked team and the atmosphere sucks ... put two and two together, and (besides 4) you get a kid not coming to Syracuse (unless he is an opponent).

Don't just stop at sports or SU related articles. The comments section following PS (and many other newspapers and websites) cause me to lose more faith in humanity each time I read them.

Seriously, I once read an article about a complete volunteer effort to raise money to assist a shelter for abused animals or animals who had to be given away or something like that. Posts in the comments section chastised them for not spending their time on a more important cause like cancer research. Seriously, like charitable actions are an either/or proposition. Some really pathetic people and posters out there.

SUOrange44

good lord man, put down the crack pipe.

this board doesnt know if a game is on tv, let alone jackshit about football.

theres probably only 150 people who truely post here. of that, maybe 40 should be worth reading.

got to assume that doug knows enough to ignore those 40.

nobody with half a brain here comes and posts negative drivel on purpose. its always with a purpose, its constructive, its called being a fan.

and if he wants a representation of what this board is all about, then im driving up to Manley and along the way im stopping to pick up cto, cheri, tol, billorange, bayside, bees, chip, millhouse, scooch, mad, dash, jake, tomcat, oeyes, cuseguy, kingotto, frozen, 0-79, c-78, marsh, texmark, nycfan(if anything we will find out if this guy ever stops and takes a piss) go, grotto, joe college and pete calvin, swish(we are going to keep him locked up in the trunk so we know where he is and that he cant do or say anything stupid) and finally tristan...somebody has to bankroll this trip.

and thats just off the top of my head of a whos who, who posts....and theres not a truly negative person in there. and i definetly forgot to add 20 or so.

we all want the ORANGE to succeed. we just argue among ourselves on how to achieve that common goal.

this board is a major contributor to a problem of fan support.....:rolling:

Oh Lord

good lord man, put down the crack pipe.

this board doesnt know if a game is on tv, let alone jackshit about football.

theres probably only 150 people who truely post here. of that, maybe 40 should be worth reading.

got to assume that doug knows enough to ignore those 40.

nobody with half a brain here comes and posts negative drivel on purpose. its always with a purpose, its constructive, its called being a fan.

and if he wants a representation of what this board is all about, then im driving up to Manley and along the way im stopping to pick up cto, cheri, tol, billorange, bayside, bees, chip, millhouse, scooch, mad, dash, jake, tomcat, oeyes, cuseguy, kingotto, frozen, 0-79, c-78, marsh, texmark, nycfan(if anything we will find out if this guy ever stops and takes a piss) go, grotto, joe college and pete calvin, swish(we are going to keep him locked up in the trunk so we know where he is and that he cant do or say anything stupid) and finally tristan...somebody has to bankroll this trip.

and thats just off the top of my head of a whos who, who posts....and theres not a truly negative person in there. and i definetly forgot to add 20 or so.

we all want the ORANGE to succeed. we just argue among ourselves on how to achieve that common goal.

this board is a major contributor to a problem of fan support.....:rolling:

Oh Lord

I dont always agree with Kaiser but this should be tacked, 100% spot on.

How do other coaches recruit successfully then?

Are you purposefully ignoring what he said about facilities and attendance at games, and zeroing in on the message board comment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom