This forum and fan negativity | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This forum and fan negativity

Putting aside the influence of fan boards part there has been real disillusionment with the basic lack of fan support. Big mistake on his part thinking that people would flock back because there was a change. Also they can't believe that 1) people don't understand just how bad things were and the progress that was being made, 2) the perceived lack of patience from the fan base based on where they started, how well they did in 2010, and getting zero leash last year when they fell back, 3) and the direct treatment of his family and
the questioning of his character and management of the program away from the field.

Are you purposefully ignoring what he said about facilities and attendance at games, and zeroing in on the message board comment?

Yes, I am, because this thread is about how this board has been a glaring negative for the program.

good lord man, put down the crack pipe.

this board doesnt know if a game is on tv, let alone jackshit about football.

theres probably only 150 people who truely post here. of that, maybe 40 should be worth reading.

got to assume that doug knows enough to ignore those 40.

nobody with half a brain here comes and posts negative drivel on purpose. its always with a purpose, its constructive, its called being a fan.

and if he wants a representation of what this board is all about, then im driving up to Manley and along the way im stopping to pick up cto, cheri, tol, billorange, bayside, bees, chip, millhouse, scooch, mad, dash, jake, tomcat, oeyes, cuseguy, kingotto, frozen, 0-79, c-78, marsh, texmark, nycfan(if anything we will find out if this guy ever stops and takes a piss) go, grotto, joe college and pete calvin, swish(we are going to keep him locked up in the trunk so we know where he is and that he cant do or say anything stupid) and finally tristan...somebody has to bankroll this trip.

and thats just off the top of my head of a whos who, who posts....and theres not a truly negative person in there. and i definetly forgot to add 20 or so.

we all want the ORANGE to succeed. we just argue among ourselves on how to achieve that common goal.

this board is a major contributor to a problem of fan support.....:rolling:

Oh Lord

Someone still owes Swish a pony ride.

One of the reasons the money is good for big-time college football coaches is because they are expected to manage the alums/fans. I'm trying to think of a head coaching job in D-1 where the guy holding the job will be insulated from message board/fan criticism. There isn't one, and the situation is worse in the NFL.

Marrone got a job with lower hurdles for success (i.e. return the program to respectability) and has been given the proper amount of time to exceed those hurdles. Carping and criticism - legit or not - comes with any D-1 job. I believe fans at other schools are in fact much more sensitive than fans here.

I'm sure Doug knows there will always be people who post pathetic and stupid things on message boards. If this is a deal breaker, Doug needs a different line of work. I don't think he's that kind of guy. This board in particular does a better job of letting people have their say in a responsible way than any other.

PS -- I think a message board troll is nothing for college coaches to handle compared to dealing with a big money alumni who thinks he knows a lot about football without ever having played the game. Now that's a headache.

Yes, I am, because this thread is about how this board has been a glaring negative for the program.

Well I agree that's obviously dumb, but perhaps this thread can be guided into a more sensible direction.

Putting aside the influence of fan boards part there has been real disillusionment with the basic lack of fan support. Big mistake on his part thinking that people would flock back because there was a change. Also they can't believe that 1) people don't understand just how bad things were and the progress that was being made, 2) the perceived lack of patience from the fan base based on where they started, how well they did in 2010, and getting zero leash last year when they fell back, 3) and the direct treatment of his family and
the questioning of his character and management of the program away from the field.

Perhaps I missed it but outside of this message board I didnt see much in the community regarding point #2 and I have seen pretty much zero of point #3 and have no idea what that is even referencing. Marrone's issues go back to what you and others have noted, the lack of overall fan support in as far as attendance and donation. To be honest I have no idea what he expected, outside of the 20-25K diehards there wasnt much left when Marrone took over, your not going to flip 20K fans in three seasons when your best year was followed up with a complete 5 game collapse and a 5 game home schedule with one of those games being Stony Brook. As I have noted a million times, the issue is trying to bring back fans that have been gone for years even back to Coach P, and trying to educate thousands of people who simply dont follow the program.

How did he respond to our card?

I haven't read the whole thread but got the gist, my view:

The negative people are the loudest so that's what he will see most of. The happy people are not as outspoken.

Syracuse.com comments are the last place I would go to read anything positive about anything let alone sports or something requiring rational thought.

Putting aside the influence of fan boards part there has been real disillusionment with the basic lack of fan support. Big mistake on his part thinking that people would flock back because there was a change.

I love Marrone and he deserves a 5-year extension but he hasn't delivered a signature win yet that will excite the casual fanbase. Beating West Virginia is been there, done that stuff. I'm not saying that's right but the one thing the fanbase always has responded to is big-time OOC wins. Mac blew the doors off with fan enthusiasm when SU beat Penn State in 1987. P took it to another level when SU beat Florida and followed it up with the Texas win.

Marrone had a chance to do the same against USC but didn't get it done. He'll get more chances based on the schedule in coming years. I think he'll deliver and those wins will drive an increase in fan attendance... Or at least that's my hope.

It's not the same town / school / state it was in the 1980s, and nostolgia and reality might've had a bit of a collision on that point.

Honestly the program got a point the fans where the Dome price chart needed to be blown up and started fresh just to get people back in the habit of going. They have a good product and place (ACC) now moving forward.

It's not the same town / school / state it was in the 1980s, and nostolgia and reality might've had a bit of a collision on that point.

Honestly the program got a point the fans where the Dome price chart needed to be blown up and started fresh just to get people back in the habit of going. They have a good product and place (ACC) now moving forward.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, its not 1987 or even 1997 at this point.

theres probably only 150 people who truely post here. of that, maybe 40 should be worth reading.

nobody with half a brain here comes and posts negative drivel on purpose. its always with a purpose, its constructive, its called being a fan.

and if he wants a representation of what this board is all about, then im driving up to Manley and along the way im stopping to pick up cto, cheri, tol, billorange, bayside, bees, chip, millhouse, scooch, mad, dash, jake, tomcat, oeyes, cuseguy, kingotto, frozen, 0-79, c-78, marsh, texmark, nycfan(if anything we will find out if this guy ever stops and takes a piss) go, grotto, joe college and pete calvin, swish(we are going to keep him locked up in the trunk so we know where he is and that he cant do or say anything stupid) and finally tristan...somebody has to bankroll this trip.

and thats just off the top of my head of a whos who, who posts....and theres not a truly negative person in there. and i definetly forgot to add 20 or so.

we all want the ORANGE to succeed. we just argue among ourselves on how to achieve that common goal.

Oh Lord

Does Tristan have enough money to pay for the practice facility so we can keep Marrone?

Oh Lord

can this post be tacked on the main page forever?

thank you.

I dont always agree with Kaiser but this should be tacked, 100% spot on.

ha! i swear i didn't even see this when i posted the same thing!

I think you hit the nail on the head here, its not 1987 or even 1997 at this point.

I'm not a local, so color me ignorant on this, but hasn't hoops attendance been as good, or better, than the mid/late 90s? And my impression is that there are much more expensive seating options now for hoops than there were 15 years ago, and those are all sold out.

What makes drawing 5-7K more or so for football so outlandish, when hoops has been drawing so well?

I'm not a local, so color me ignorant on this, but hasn't hoops attendance been as good, or better, than the mid/late 90s? And my impression is that there are much more expensive seating options now for hoops than there were 15 years ago, and those are all sold out.

What makes drawing 5-7K more or so for football so outlandish, when hoops has been drawing so well?

My freshman year in 89-90 we averaged something like 29K (maybe not that high but you get it) for hoops. Those days are gone as well.

Changing demographics, and TV makes it so easy now

The problem is during the past year the board was dominated by negative posters. How many times was GO atacked during the past year for trying to but a real and accurate depiction of where the program really was? It was non stop drivel against him.
Like I said thousands of people read this board and when this was happening it made the program look bad. Don't underestimate the power of what's on the Internet.

My freshman year in 89-90 we averaged something like 29K (maybe not that high but you get it) for hoops. Those days are gone as well.

Changing demographics, and TV makes it so easy now
back then there was 3, yes 3....student sections.

1. upper deck behind the hoop for the frosh and sophs who were too stupid to get tix as a frosh.
2. lower deck behind the hoop for the sophs up high and jrs down low
3. on curtain side, across from JB, foul line to base line for the seniors who had tix all 4 years

now they just toss everyone into group 2.

The problem is during the past year the board was dominated by negative posters. How many times was GO atacked during the past year for trying to but a real and accurate depiction of where the program really was? It was non stop drivel against him.
Like I said thousands of people read this board and when this was happening it made the program look bad. Don't underestimate the power of what's on the Internet.

Oh BS. When you're losing 5 straight games it isn't going to all be cookies and milk. It's a fan forum. It's water cooler talk. You don't even see the real over the top BS that we delete or the trolls that are nuked. If it is so bad here and you feel this forum is the reason Marrone might leave then you are welcome to leave yourself. Nobody makes you read this forum nor post here. These type of threads and posts are just as negative because you are attacking a fanbase.

Oh BS. When you're losing 5 straight games it isn't going to all be cookies and milk. It's a fan forum. It's water cooler talk. You don't even see the real over the top BS that we delete or the trolls that are nuked. If it is so bad here and you feel this forum is the reason Marrone might leave then you are welcome to leave yourself. Nobody makes you read this forum nor post here. These type of threads and posts are just as negative because you are attacking a fanbase.

Bingo Bees. Anlger why dont you go take a gander at the Ru board from last Friday until now, there willing to trade flood for a sack of dog crap at this point. Take a gander over at the WVU board there making every excuse in the book as to why they have lost three straight to SU others feel the team will be even worse. This is how it is for big time Div 1 athletics, if you cant handle the negativity im sure RPI or Ithaca or my Alma mater Utica College have a football message board you could become a member of.

Why compare Syracuse to Alabama, or Michigan, or Texas, or whatever? We're not them, never have been, never will be.

There are many programs, public and private, that draw in the 40s and are successful enough. Stanford and Oregon State leap to mind.

Other programs that have had some sustained success: Boston College (until the past 2 years), TCU, Northwestern, Baylor, Utah, etc.

Then there are successful programs that have sustained success drawing in the 20's and 30's. Cincinnati, Boise State, Wake Forest, Tulsa, etc.

I think coaching football at Syracuse University is a constant uphill battle when it comes to salary/facilities and the fan base, it can be quite wearing. Doug knew this coming in. He knew the fan base can be angry, like any fan base. If a nasty letter or the internet is what gets him to leave then he is just looking for an excuse to leave. That said fighting for upgrades...not getting paid to scale and putting your heart and soul into the program can be extremely wearing and if you go to the pros these are not usually things you have to worry about, you worry about real football stuff.

I don't know, I'm feeling quite melancholy about this to be honest and hopefully this all turns out for the best for the school that I enjoy watching and rooting for.

Didn't we draw 45K vs West Virginia just last year?

I just don't understand some of the attendance stuff. If this program comes out next year playing a similar brand of exciting football as it did this season, and wins some games, we'll draw just fine. There's no need to be 11-0.

If SU is, say, 5-2 and playing Clemson or Florida State in late October is there any doubt we'd draw at least 45K?
You mean the exciting brand of football longislandcuse called 'unwatchable' in the 'the damage is already done' thread? :rolleyes:

In addition to this being a great post, you have also brought to light one of the the great mysteries of our times. I just call him the 8th wonder of the world. His capacity is incredible.

Does Tristan have enough money to pay for the practice facility so we can keep Marrone?
If Tristan were to pay for the practice facility, it would be with the proviso the Marrone was NOT the head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom