This has been a tough week for syracusefan.com | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This has been a tough week for syracusefan.com

What would your expectations be? I'm not blaming Boeheim, but if he's granted the benefit of the doubt for all negatives because of his tenure and HOF status, shouldn't he be expected to deliver as well?

I'll play your game.

We should be a top _6_ seed in the NCAA tourney every year
We should finish in the top _5_ in the ACC every year.
We should have top _40__ ranked recruiting classes every year.
And, of course, once in the tournament, an early exit is not acceptable.

I don't feel like these are unreasonable.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect this every year, with the exception of the Top 40 ranked recruiting classes.

There are 10-11 NCAA tournament teams in the ACC every year, There are no easy games. Expecting a Top 25 finish (6 seed or better) every year is unlikely. Expecting to finish in the Top 5 every year is unlikely. Louisville isn’t doing this either, and they are just as good or better a program as Syracuse. This ain’t the Pac 12.

I think Boehiem is delivering, especially with sanctions and especially in the NCAA Tournament. He’s won 6 of his last 7 and beat the #1 team in the nation on the road.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect this every year, with the exception of the Top 40 ranked recruiting classes.

There are 10-11 NCAA tournament teams in the ACC every year, There are no easy games. Expecting a Top 25 finish (6 seed or better) every year is unlikely. Expecting to finish in the Top 5 every year is unlikely. Louisville isn’t doing this either, and they are just as good or better a program as Syracuse. This ain’t the Pac 12.

Louisville is supposed to be rebuilding right now, aren't they?

What would your expectations be? Man up and show us what you think instead of just criticizing others.

What would your expectations be? Man up and show us what you think instead of just criticizing others.

Why is Loulsville rebuidling again? I wasn’t criticizing others, just game my opinion. Is that OK with you? You still hating on Chukwu?

I think Boehiem is delivering, especially with sanctions and especially in the NCAA Tournament. He’s won 6 of his last 7 and beat the #1 team in the nation on the road.

Actually the most the ACC has sent is 9 teams to the tourney.

ACC Ties League Record With Nine In NCAA Tournament Field

Why is Loulsville rebuidling again? I wasn’t criticizing others, just game my opinion. Is that OK with you? You still hating on Chukwu?

Chukwu is still in his 3 game grace period with me, so no further comments. Louisville had a scandal, fired coach, all that.

And feel free to give us your expectations.

Chukwu is still in his 3 game grace period with me, so no further comments. Louisville had a scandal, fired coach, all that.

Oh...Louisville had NCAA sanctions? So did Syracuse. Odd.

My expectations change every year depending on who is coming back to the team, who comes in, injuries, other teams in the conference, and who they have coming in and coming back. It’s the hardest conference with so many good teams.

Chuckwu has been playing well the last few games. You should give him some credit. It’s ok.

What would your expectations be? I'm not blaming Boeheim, but if he's granted the benefit of the doubt for all negatives because of his tenure and HOF status, shouldn't he be expected to deliver as well?

I'll play your game.

Your top two are more than reasonable. A top 6 seed is generally somewhere falling in the 21 to 24 ranking.
After Duke and UNC, we should be able to finish consistently between 3-5 in the standings for sure, SU ranks 5th all time in D1 wins only behind UK, KU, UNC & Duke respectively.

The recruiting rankings often are based on numbers of recruits almost as much as quality. I'll say this, in years where we need a relatively large recruiting class, say 4-5 guys, I'd place reasonable in the top 20-25 annually.

As far as being "once in the tournament," an early exit being unreasonable, that depends. We've been a bubble team 5 years in a row, it took us up to last year before we finally got our 1 and only ACC tournament victory. Think about that! I don't think anyone could've imagined it would've taken us that long, and anyone who did or found that not to be unreasonable, well, is full of chit!

So, if we continue to be 10 or 11 seeds, I don't think a "significant" percentage here would think getting bounced in the first round was "not acceptable" based upon the overall season (hence low/poor seed) as much as the season comprehensively being unacceptable. If we our a top 4 seed in the dance, and we lost in the first round, yeah you bet I'd agree a lot would feel that's unacceptable. However, if that loss came in the second round, I think the claimed "significant percentage" would be very disappointed more than "not acceptable."

Oh...Louisville had NCAA sanctions? So did Syracuse. Odd.

My expectations change every year depending on who is coming back to the team, who comes in, injuries, other teams in the conference, and who they have coming in and coming back. It’s the hardest conference with so many good teams.

Chuckwu has been playing well the last few games. You should give him some credit. It’s ok.

You should spell his name correctly. And had you read my posts, you'd have seen I did give him credit. It's okay, you can't read all posts.

So you have no baseline expectations? Why is this so hard?

And they need someone to blame so their wrath is focused primarily at Boeheim but can also be focused on the assistants, the players, the AD, the no longer here coach in waiting etc.

It expresses itself in all different ways: Game has passed him by; no offense; cannot use bench; cannot recruit; only plays zone...but it all comes from the same source: under performance relative to poster level of expectations.
I don't think expectation failure explains it all. I think you need to include some plain dislike for JB. How they got there I'm not sure. But those posters use anything they can think of as blasting discussion item.

For instance, a thread on the lack of PT for the 10th man Braswell. To get that out you need a creative, Lex Luther, type thought process (let's see maybe I can extrapolate from the end of the Colgate game into the ACC).

You should spell his name correctly. And had you read my posts, you'd have seen I did give him credit. It's okay, you can't read all posts.

So you have no baseline expectations? Why is this so hard?

I’ll work on that Mr. Spelling Guy. Lol.

Glad to see you’re finally giving Chukwu credit. I’m sure you’ll start bashing him as soon as he doesn’t play well.

Like I said, every year is different, so I base them on that particular season. That’s not too hard for you, right?

Your top two are more than reasonable. A top 6 seed is generally somewhere falling in the 21 to 24 ranking.
After Duke and UNC, we should be able to finish consistently between 3-5 in the standings for sure, SU ranks 5th all time in D1 wins only behind UK, KU, UNC & Duke respectively.

The recruiting rankings often are based on numbers of recruits almost as much as quality. I'll say this, in years where we need a relatively large recruiting class, say 4-5 guys, I'd place reasonable in the top 20-25 annually.

As far as being "once in the tournament," an early exit being unreasonable, that depends. We've been a bubble team 5 years in a row, it took us up to last year before we finally got our 1 and only ACC tournament victory. Think about that! I don't think anyone could've imagined it would've taken us that long, and anyone who did or found that not to be unreasonable, well, is full of chit!

So, if we continue to be 10 or 11 seeds, I don't think a "significant" percentage here would think getting bounced in the first round was "not acceptable" based upon the overall season (hence low/poor seed) as much as the season comprehensively being unacceptable. If we our a top 4 seed in the dance, and we lost in the first round, yeah you bet I'd agree a lot would feel that's unacceptable. However, if that loss came in the second round, I think the claimed "significant percentage" would be very disappointed more than "not acceptable."
It’s been a combination of 5 consecutive medicore regular seasons and our playing style becoming slower and slower.
We have been a great tournament team when we make it. If we had a better offense with this defense as a weapon we could win a NC.
We won’t win a NC without the offense being a lot better.
Also we have a major player development problem. That is why the scholarships lost a bigger problem than they should have been because JB’s short rotation was suppose to be a major reason the lost scholarships weren’t suppose to be a problem.
Recruiting is also a problem we could have added another recruit last year as Buddy didn’t need a scholarship since his dad is a coach. We didn’t use the scholarship on a recruit thus it was smartly used on Buddy. We should be all over big recruits but again we haven’t gotten single impact big recruit for 2019.

I'll play your game.

It wasn't designed to be a game. It was a theory on why this angry chasm has developed on the board.

FWIW, for your expectations:

For the five year period since Syracuse joined the ACC, there have been two teams that finished in the top five in the ACC every year:

Duke and North Carolina

For that same period, there have been three ACC teams that have been at least a 6 seed every year:

Duke, Carolina and Virginia.

I do not know whether you thought your expectations would produce the results it did, but that is pretty rarified air. And that is over a relatively short time period. Go back a little longer and Virginia definitely disappears from the mix so all you are left with is: Duke and Carolina.

And I would bet that your expectations actually are quite modest relative to other posters on this board.

As you can imagine, my expectations, FWIW, are likely more modest than most:

Annual NCAA tourney appearance, absent significant injuries or other unusual circumstances, with a mixture of seeds with periodic protected (top four). A periodic run of several years with multiple protected seeds - but without the sanctions.

no, not yet. louisville did not receive the type of program crippling penalties* that syracuse did. while the orange were forced to vacate wins, they also lost a dozen scholarships & had recruiting restricted; Louisville only had to vacate a bunch of wins {including their 2013 title} and pay a big fine. those things hurt your pride but do not hurt your program going forward

*their penalties were assessed for actions prior to the adidas scandal. no ncaa penalties have yet been assessed there.

I don't think expectation failure explains it all. I think you need to include some plain dislike for JB. How they got there I'm not sure. But those posters use anything they can think of as blasting discussion item.

For instance, a thread on the lack of PT for the 10th man Braswell. To get that out you need a creative, Lex Luther, type thought process (let's see maybe I can extrapolate from the end of the Colgate game into the ACC).
I agree with you but I think that it a small minority.

I think the vast majority are just unhappy with the team's performance over the last few years.

Last edited:
no, not yet. louisville did not receive the type of program crippling penalties* that syracuse did. while the orange were forced to vacate wins, they also lost a dozen scholarships & had recruiting restricted; Louisville only had to vacate a bunch of wins {including their 2013 title} and pay a big fine. those things hurt your pride but do not hurt your program going forward

*their penalties were assessed for actions prior to the adidas scandal. no ncaa penalties have yet been assessed there.
I would take 13 scholarships lost over 4 years to keep the NC.
The lost NC is one of the harshest penalties ever.

Our lost scholarships wouldn’t have been as big a problem for JB’s rotation if player development was better.
Player development is still a problem.
We need the bigs to get better and stop with low expectations and decent play being treated like excellent play.

Not bringing a center after Sidibe’s injury and Chukwu the only other big was poor roster management. The problem is we still don’t have a big recruit for next year besides a project JBA.
Our roster management and player development needs to get better.

I think you need to include some plain dislike for JB. How they got there I'm not sure. But those posters use anything they can think of as blasting discussion item..

There is one in particular that will never give Boeheim credit with it comes to recruiting. “That kid was a Griffin recruit” or “He was a Hop recruit”. As if Boeheim has nothing to do with it. Assistants recruit at every single program in the country, but only at Syracuse does the head coach not get credit for landing these kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: cto
I would take 13 scholarships lost over 4 years to keep the NC.
The lost NC is one of the harshest penalties ever.

It’s meaningless. It doesn’t effect their team going forward. Losing scholarships is huge.

Our lost scholarships wouldn’t have been as big a problem for JB’s rotation if player development was better.
Player development is still a problem.
We need the bigs to get better and stop with low expectations and decent play being treated like excellent play.

Not bringing a center after Sidibe’s injury and Chukwu the only other big was poor roster management. The problem is we still don’t have a big recruit for next year besides a project JBA.

Who should we have brought in?

We are playing 9 kids. What’s wrong with the roster?

What is wrong with the roster?
We have no post scoring or offensive threat from the C position outside of Marek.

We can’t get easy baskets in the halfcourt.
It’s all ISO/dribble drive or 3 point shooting.
That isn’t a recipe for scoring easy.

You asking me to name recruits isn’t hard listen to Dean Francis he has stated our recruiting strategy.

Our roster needs offensive threat from the frontcourt think Lydon/Christmas/Jackson/Warrick we need offense from the 5 to win a NC.

Playing 9 kids is fine but we only have 2 centers and neither can have the ball thrown to them and expect to do anything.
Our player development hasn’t gotten players better as much as other programs.
Expecting a decent half court offense isn’t a lot to ask in 5 years. We are a jump shooting team that isn’t going to be consistent against good defensive teams.

By roster management, it seems like just the center, right? I mean the guards look spread out and good - JC/Goodine/Buddy/JG3 (and I suppose HW). And with forwards you have OB/Eli/Marek and Bras in the pipeline. Things are getting back to normal.

Player development is tough to guage. PC has gotten better. Battle looks like he may have just received the memo and is playing all ACC right now. And Buddy is improving before our eyes.
We'll see in a year or two how JC/Bras/Eli/ and Buddy do.

By roster management, it seems like just the center, right? I mean the guards look spread out and good - JC/Goodine/Buddy/JG3 (and I suppose HW). And with forwards you have OB/Eli/Marek and Bras in the pipeline. Things are getting back to normal.

Player development is tough to guage. PC has gotten better. Battle looks like he may have just received the memo and is playing all ACC right now. And Buddy is improving before our eyes.
We'll see in a year or two how JC/Bras/Eli/ and Buddy do.
Outside of Hughes who we didn’t see last year or the freshman what player from last year has gotten better offensively and please tell me how?

There's a big difference between doing what I said some of the time and all of the time.

That someone 28 was never signed up for youth soccer, youth basketball and youth baseball at all seems highly implausible. I'll bet you were sucking those juice boxes dry after being driven to the games and practices in that minivan.

Never had juice boxes. Did have Orange slices. Those were delicious.

Can't say my parents ever had a minivan either, but my parents are probably older than you and walked 3 miles to school.
Outside of Hughes who we didn’t see last year or the freshman what player from last year has gotten better offensively and please tell me how?

Valid criticism, but hard to entirely blame the coaches for Brissett and Battle practicing with NBA trainers in the offseason.

What is wrong with the roster?
We have no post scoring or offensive threat from the C position outside of Marek.

We don’t need a ton from the C position. If we get 10 pts from our 3 centers per game, that’s good. And with Marek in the high post passing the way he does, it’s a weapon.

We can’t get easy baskets in the halfcourt.
It’s all ISO/dribble drive or 3 point shooting.
That isn’t a recipe for scoring easy.

Team is averaging 72 ppg. That’s not bad. 3 point shooting is part fo the game. We have shooters that can makes shots. Have you seen the last 2 games?

You asking me to name recruits isn’t hard listen to Dean Francis he has stated our recruiting strategy.

Well, we tried to bring in the Osunnuyi kid, but he went to St. Bonnies. He wouldn’t have mattered this year. Who else? Nate Roberts? What’s he doing?

Our roster needs offensive threat from the frontcourt think Lydon/Christmas/Jackson/Warrick we need offense from the 5 to win a NC.

Fab Melo averaged 7-8 ppg and many had us winning that year until he got hurt. Not sure that’s really true. We were not a tournament team when Rak averaged 17 ppg but have made the FF without great offensive play from our centers that last 2 times we’ve made the FF.

What could be sillier than a set of baseline demands? (euphemistically called "expectations" on here.)

Why draw an artificial and arbitrary line in the sand and say "That's the minimum I can stand." What happens when your :"expectations" or demands aren't met? Is this some sort of ultimatum? What are you gonna do? Go root for someone else?

Every year the world changes. We have changes in the team, sometimes wholesale changes.The competition changes too. I have expectations at the beginning of the season, another set of them after December and yet another as we get into the ACC season. And another set of them if we get into the NCAA tournament .

But the team failing to meet these artificial, arbitrary and sometime unrealistic demands doesn't mean I declare open season on the program for criticism.

Oh right you used stats (Hughes’ freshman year) to form the opinion that he could not shoot. Turns out you were wrong about that.