This isn't on Cooney | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

Are you kidding? The shot clock wasn't working on the top of the backboard, where players are accustomed to looking. What was he supposed to do--squander precious time trying to look for the clock on the floor while simultaneously bringing the ball up under pressure from Artis?

He rushed a bit because he wasn't able to visually locate the clock and the last few seconds of the game were ticking away. I don't fault him for that. People would go wild if he'd driven and the buzzer had gone off before he got a shot up in 7 seconds instead of 6.6. IF the shot clock had been visible like usual, then he'd deserve this criticism, but not under yesterday's circumstances.

If you want to blame him for the miss, and not connecting on another game winning shot opportunity, blame away. Blame JB for putting him in the game cold after sitting for 20 minutes. Blame Howard not being in the game over Roberson to give us another guy to push it. Blame his teammates for not getting open on the inbounds and not getting open as Cooney pushed it upcourt. But don't fault Cooney for the clock on the floor problem that ended up being literally worst case scenario for us on that last possession with only a couple of seconds left in the game.
A fifth-year senior should have the mental capacity and awareness to know how long 6 seconds is regardless of his sight of the shot clock. He stopped his dribble and had already decided to heave a desperation three when there was a full 3 seconds left.

He panicked. Period.

A fifth-year senior should have the mental capacity and awareness to know how long 6 seconds is regardless of his sight of the shot clock. He stopped his dribble and had already decided to heave a desperation three when there was a full 3 seconds left.

He panicked. Period.

Stuff like this ^^^^ reads like a truism from someone who has never played. No offense, but that is bunk.

I thought he had a clear view of the clock? Now that narrative is changing?

So who gets the blame next year when we lose? No Scoop, Triche, or Cooney around. First time we haven't had one of those players in seven years. Someones going to step up...
Don't worry, the negative nancies will find someone to be their whipping boy.

Kid took a shot, he missed at the end twice in a row at the end of games. We have the experts killing him.

Those same experts would of been elated had it gone in.

Lebron is career 5-47 on game winning shots in his career, and hes one of the top 5 players of all time.

Please. We've had one buzzer beater win since Gmac has been here. Ennis two years ago. 6 pages of a thread because of one shot. Unbelieveable.

A smart player would have driven to the basket at this point in the picture below.

Then the man covering Lydon underneath would have needed to cover the ball, leaving Lydon wide open underneath the basket. Bounce pass - score - ballgame - NCAA tourney here we come.

7tpTmpN.jpg
Every player is above the foul line. And Cooney is a good ball handler and has the ability to shake a defender just as we see in this clip. However, he got no help in this.

Last edited:
Stuff like this ^^^^ reads like a truism from someone who has never played. No offense, but that is bunk.

I thought he had a clear view of the clock? Now that narrative is changing?
What's bunk? Expecting someone to know the difference between 6 seconds and 3 seconds?

I can agree with your argument that not having the clock above the basket made it more difficult. I'm not the one who said he had a clear view of the clock. All I said was that the clock was right there on the baseline and even if his view was blocked by the defender he should have known he had time to get to the basket instead of dancing around the three-point line.

Earlier in the game, we were called for five seconds on an inbounds pass.

I don't understand how you can EVER get called for a 5 second call under your own basket when you can inbound the ball into the back court.

I don't understand how you can EVER get called for a 5 second call under your own basket when you can inbound the ball into the back court.
A pass to the backcourt has its own risks.

So who gets the blame next year when we lose? No Scoop, Triche, or Cooney around. First time we haven't had one of those players in seven years. Someones going to step up...

Kaleb Joseph hasn't left yet. There may still be a suitable role for him to play.

Every player is above the foul line. And Cooney is a good ball handler and has the ability to shake a defender just as we sin in this clip. However, he got no help in this.
I don't understand this "no help" stuff.

In this picture you can see Cooney has the perfect opportunity (and time) to penetrate toward the foul line since his defender was in a horrible position. That would have opened up at least four options...

(1) If G's defender takes the ball, a kick out to G for the jumper

(2) If G's defender takes the ball and Roberson's defender covers G, then an open alley-oop to Roberson who is streaking towards the basket

(3) If Lydon's defender takes the ball around the foul line, bounce pass to a wide open Lydon underneath the basket

(4) If no defenders help, an open jumper at the elbow

Instead, Cooney has already decided with a full 3 seconds left that he was going to attempt a low-percentage three-point heave.

7tpTmpN.jpg

I don't want to bash Cooney - we've seen through the years his end of game awareness isn't the best. Howard should've been out there instead of Roberson.

The shot looked worse in person than on TV. I'm convinced if he drove he would've stumbled. It happens.

My guess is Malachi or Roberson.

7tpTmpN.jpg

See how all the guys are outside the foul line? None are in a position to score or get into a position to score given the time left. They just watched.

See how all the guys are outside the foul line? None are in a position to score or get into a position to score given the time left. They just watched.

I don't really think anyone wanted anything to do with having the ball there. Everyone was waiting for someone else to bail them out.

So you're blaming those players for not being underneath SU's basket three seconds after being beneath Pitt's basket? That's what you're going with?

So you're blaming those players for not being underneath SU's basket three seconds after being beneath Pitt's basket? That's what you're going with?
I am blaming the entire team...not just one guy. Of course, they had time to get down there. Watch how slow Lydon moves down the court and he started at half-court! Yes, he and Robertson had time to get down the court but they were not really trying hard to do that. Not sure why.

CorduroyG said:
i dont think so, he was jacking up a 3 there no matter what.

Amazing. A mind reader on our board could be very helpful.

CorduroyG said:
thats a great question to ask boeheim. why was richardson inbounding???

Because he's tall and can pass?

I am blaming the entire team...not just one guy. Of course, they had time to get down there. Watch how slow Lydon moves down the court and he started at half-court! Yes, he and Robertson had time to get down the court but they were not really trying hard to do that. Not sure why.
I just don't see the relevance of Lydon's and Roberson's speed down the court in this scenario. Would Lydon and Roberson running down the court faster have resulted in Cooney making a better decision? Maybe Lydon should have been posting up underneath but if Cooney had made a better choice Lydon would likely have been open underneath for the winning bucket and no one would be mentioning how slowly he ran down the court.

In this picture you can see Cooney has the perfect opportunity (and time) to penetrate toward the foul line since his defender was in a horrible position. That would have opened up at least four options...

(1) If G's defender takes the ball, a kick out to G for the jumper

(2) If G's defender takes the ball and Roberson's defender covers G, then an open alley-oop to Roberson who is streaking towards the basket

(3) If Lydon's defender takes the ball around the foul line, bounce pass to a wide open Lydon underneath the basket

(4) If no defenders help, an open jumper at the elbow

Instead, Cooney has already decided with a full 3 seconds left that he was going to attempt a low-percentage three-point heave.

7tpTmpN.jpg

Also unmentioned: he cut back into four defenders and all of his teammates! Holy crap!

There's no argument to be made that he didn't do the wrong thing. The polite thing to do would be to move on; not sure why the Cooney Defense Minority insists on prolonging this affair.

Looks like a tailor-made clear-out, getting defenders out of the paint to make the game-winning layup easier.

I just don't see the relevance of Lydon's and Roberson's speed down the court in this scenario. Would Lydon and Roberson running down the court faster have resulted in Cooney making a better decision? Maybe Lydon should have been posting up underneath but if Cooney had made a better choice Lydon would likely have been open underneath for the winning bucket and no one would be mentioning how slowly he ran down the court.
Um, yeah. I think if the other players got into a better position (including moving faster), Cooney would have had more options. So you don't think the other 4 players should try to get into position to help? You think they should just watch Cooney? You got your wish. Btw...I was yelling at the TV for Lydon to move before it was even in-bounded. He just stood there at half-court. So someone noticed and I doubt I was the only one. You keep saying "if Cooney made a better choice" but he was being overplayed on his left and pushed toward the middle. He went to his right. In the meantime, everyone else just watched.

Looks like a tailor-made clear-out, getting defenders out of the paint to make the game-winning layup easier.
Of course, that flies in the face of the accusations here that Cooney is not a good ballhandler. Gotta have options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom