This writer really blames... | Syracusefan.com

This writer really blames...

...the UW coach for the loss. See here.
Stopped reading after the first paragraph. Of course reading the Yahoo article about the game, Wiscy's chance at "pulling off one of the most dramatic upsets of the tournament" came down to their bungling of the last 15 seconds, so I'm guessing I'm not missing much by not finishing this article.

Stopped reading after this line comparing DC to "approximately the size of an oil derrick". Such witty commentary from the contributors over at grantland...

If we are looking at how Wisconsin handled the last 15 seconds and nothing else, then yes, Bo Ryan handled that about as well as Grady Little managed the Sox in the 2003 playoffs.

Other than letting Pedro pitch one extra inning, what did Grady do wrong?

If we are looking at how Wisconsin handled the last 15 seconds and nothing else, then yes, Bo Ryan handled that about as well as Grady Little managed the Sox in the 2003 playoffs.
Too soon. Yes, still.

By the way...
pierce_charles_m.jpg

...this sportswriter sure does scream out "credibility" to me. Seems like the kind of guy that has spent a lifetime around the game...

By the way...
pierce_charles_m.jpg

...this sportswriter sure does scream out "credibility" to me. Seems like the kind of guy that has spent a lifetime around the game...
Damon Runyon?
thumbnail.aspx

Bo Ryan's lack of flexibility on two fronts hurt W and helped SU

1. He will always sit players with 2 fouls for the rest of the first half.

2. He does not like to have to have inbound the ball with no timeouts. So he did not call a timeout.

I thought it was an interesting article. I didn't realize the kid was out at that crucial juncture. I also thought they held that guy out too long in the first half, he was killing SU.

So there are some in-game second guesses that can be done to Bo.

But what the article doesn't cover is the excellent game plan crafted by Ryan. Wisky had a great game plan and was in this game. I still think SU has the better players but the game was played to Wisky's strengths.

not a bad article. it's the writers opinion ryan should have called time to get the big guy in. it's a fair opinion and one made today by a lot of people. he could have done without the gratuitous shot at derrick but otherwise it was a fair article and not really about su.

I thought it was an interesting article. I didn't realize the kid was out at that crucial juncture. I also thought they held that guy out too long in the first half, he was killing SU.

So there are some in-game second guesses that can be done to Bo.

But what the article doesn't cover is the excellent game plan crafted by Ryan. Wisky had a great game plan and was in this game. I still think SU has the better players but the game was played to Wisky's strengths.
I remember noticing that dude running up to the scorer's table, well after he could legally check into the game, and wondering what the hell Ryan was thinking by not getting him up there in time.

I remember noticing that dude running up to the scorer's table, well after he could legally check into the game, and wondering what the hell Ryan was thinking by not getting him up there in time.
If that were JB and he kept his hottest player out for the biggest offensive series of the game, I think he would be taking a lot of heat.

The fact that they had a TO to use, would only make the move more suspect.

When did he go up to the table? After they inbounded the ball?

the guy comes within 1 point and its all his fault?

its a team game more so than any other imho- its why Goliath's fall to better on paper teams

no inside game was more of the issue imho-not the last play

at about the same time. their own fault with making the late sub. that's why they would have used a timeout. he should have been ready immediately to go into the game as there was time to get in. they were playing offense-defense but did have the offensive guy ready to go right back in.

After the dead ball on the free throw, he ran up there after the ref had handed the ball to the inbounder. That's too late to get a sub in.

at about the same time. their own fault with making the late sub. that's why they would have used a timeout. he should have been ready immediately to go into the game as there was time to get in. they were playing offense-defense but did have the offensive guy ready to go right back in.
Exactly, you would think he'd be at the table during the KJ free throw.

I saw that and remember thinking, "They aren't going to let him sub in, are they?"

Exactly, you would think he'd be at the table during the KJ free throw.
Wow. I was so ticked that KJ missed the free throw I didn't see that. No question they should have called a TO to get him in. I don't care how much you like to have a TO in your back pocket when inbounding a ball. We weren't pressing anyway.

Also stopped reading after the reference to DC being as big as an oil derrick. What the hell does that have to do with the game or anything for that matter, assumed it was a sign of what was to come in that article.

Quite a few back-handed compliments in that one.

Wow. I was so ticked that KJ missed the free throw I didn't see that. No question they should have called a TO to get him in. I don't care how much you like to have a TO in your back pocket when inbounding a ball. We weren't pressing anyway.
I'm happy Bo has that timeout all off-season. He can keep it forever.

not a bad article. it's the writers opinion ryan should have called time to get the big guy in. it's a fair opinion and one made today by a lot of people. he could have done without the gratuitous shot at derrick but otherwise it was a fair article and not really about su.

I can see where all these analysts are coming from, but, as usual, SU didn't win because they played well and deserved it. They won because Wisconsin screwed up. When will our guys ever get their due? It's freakin maddening that this SU win has been twisted into how Wisconsin choked. Both teams played exceptionally well. And they can second guess Ryan all they want. Players win and lose games, not coaches. Wisconsin had a chance to drive the lane with 7 seconds left, but #33 never even looked to put the ball on the floor. Not Ryan's fault. And who's to say that getting the big guy in there would have made any difference? They clearly wanted the ball in Taylor's hands at the end. No way they were taking a short jumper in the paint to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom