Class of 2015 - Thomas Bryant - Bishop Kearney HS | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Thomas Bryant - Bishop Kearney HS

Henny & Coke

2nd String
"Top Performer of the Afternoon:

Thomas Bryant (Team Scan 2015) – Bryant is still far more prospect than player but his ceiling is enormous and all his incredible tools were on full display on Saturday. Growing rapidly and nearly 6-foot-10, the Rochester (NY) native who attends Bishop Kearney High School moves like a guard and possesses some guard skills on the offensive end. He is very comfortable shooting the ball out to 18 feet, and can handle and attack off the dribble. Bryant also backed his man down in the post but needs major work on his footwork when navigating on the block. Perhaps his most impressive offensive move came as a ball handler in a pick and roll when he turned the corner and dropped off a pretty bounce pass to his rolling teammate. Very few pros at Bryant’s size have that level of skill so for a 15 year old to flash it is borderline ridiculous. He also protects the rim and projects as an elite shot blocker but does need to become much more physical. Bryant can be bullied for position and doesn’t rebound as well as he should because of that but added strength and a better understanding of how to use that strength should clean that up."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0722/nike-elite-invitational-15u-semifinal-recap/

Great website, by the way, (NBE Basketball) for recruiting updates and info on prospects.

This recap of Bryant was from his play at the Nike Elite Invitational 15U Semifinal game this past month.

I try to avoid hyperbole while commenting on such young players, but Bryant has that Anthony Davis-type of feel to his background...both developed guard-like skills as a shorter player (dribbling, shooting, passing) then hit a growth spurt, creating a "big man with some guard skills". Although, Davis' growth spurt was much more extreme and occurred later in his life. (Didn't he go from a 6-2 or so guard to a 6-10 center in a year? While Bryant was already 6-6 and getting some recruiting love and now is a reported 6-10?) Either way, those are the backgrounds that create the highest potential players, IMO. I must get up to Rochester to take in a few games this year.

There's no way he's really 6-10...is there?

That's the Superstar quality you look for in today's big men. Durant, Lebron, Kevin Love it's the guard skills and athleticism that sets them apart. Not comparing him, but these are skills you can't coach. Size and post moves you can.

One of these is not like the others...

What I'm referring to is an athletic or shooting mismatch at the 4. These "guard skills" are what made Melo so tough to defend at 4. Your Thomas Robinsons make a quality 4 but ball handling or outside shooting is what makes the elite big men elite. Anthony Davis is the perfect example of this as a prospect.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Unibrow>Noel.

Noel should have came to Cuse or Gtown. He could have been our best big man of this generation. Now hes going to be in Davis shadow for the next half dozen years.

"The Kings' Thomas Bryant, a 6-foot-9 forward that ESPN lists among the nation's top 25 players in the Class of 2015, is also considering the Orange. Bryant attended SU's game vs. Colgate Sunday in the Carrier Dome with his mother and grandmother."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2012/11/bishop_kearney_with_chinonso_o.html

Good to see Bryant taking in an SU game & bringing family. At very least such trips should help make SU feel "familiar"...which, hopefully, leads to such phrases as "feels like home" when discussing (about 2 years from now) why he chose to attend SU.

"Top Performer of the Afternoon:

Thomas Bryant (Team Scan 2015) – Bryant is still far more prospect than player but his ceiling is enormous and all his incredible tools were on full display on Saturday. Growing rapidly and nearly 6-foot-10, the Rochester (NY) native who attends Bishop Kearney High School moves like a guard and possesses some guard skills on the offensive end. He is very comfortable shooting the ball out to 18 feet, and can handle and attack off the dribble. Bryant also backed his man down in the post but needs major work on his footwork when navigating on the block. Perhaps his most impressive offensive move came as a ball handler in a pick and roll when he turned the corner and dropped off a pretty bounce pass to his rolling teammate. Very few pros at Bryant’s size have that level of skill so for a 15 year old to flash it is borderline ridiculous. He also protects the rim and projects as an elite shot blocker but does need to become much more physical. Bryant can be bullied for position and doesn’t rebound as well as he should because of that but added strength and a better understanding of how to use that strength should clean that up."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0722/nike-elite-invitational-15u-semifinal-recap/

Great website, by the way, (NBE Basketball) for recruiting updates and info on prospects.

This recap of Bryant was from his play at the Nike Elite Invitational 15U Semifinal game this past month.

I try to avoid hyperbole while commenting on such young players, but Bryant has that Anthony Davis-type of feel to his background...both developed guard-like skills as a shorter player (dribbling, shooting, passing) then hit a growth spurt, creating a "big man with some guard skills". Although, Davis' growth spurt was much more extreme and occurred later in his life. (Didn't he go from a 6-2 or so guard to a 6-10 center in a year? While Bryant was already 6-6 and getting some recruiting love and now is a reported 6-10?) Either way, those are the backgrounds that create the highest potential players, IMO. I must get up to Rochester to take in a few games this year.
If he's 6'10", J Grant is 7'4" .

Honest question--not knocking Bryant, have never seen him play, and his high ratings speak for themselves.

I've heard he's closer to 6-6 then the 6-9 / 6-10 reported in the blurbs linked above, and I'm wondering if this could end up being Dane Miller part II from that regard in the sense that he's a talented kid who peaked size-wise.

If he's legit PF sized, then it sounds like we've got a great chance with this kid. Obviously, if the rankings are legit then you want to land a kid like this in our back yard.

If he continues this path, he will have to be considered right up there with John Wallace as possibly the best ever from Section 5. As noted above, this is an absolute must get. I have faith in Hop.

Looked at Bishop Kearney's schedule. Amazing, they don't play 1 team from Rochester. Possibly not from even NYS. They are playing in some sort of league but don't know what it is.

Looked at Bishop Kearney's schedule. Amazing, they don't play 1 team from Rochester. Possibly not from even NYS. They are playing in some sort of league but don't know what it is.
Huh? They play in the City Catholic league. Webster (twice), Fairport, McQuaid, Marshall, and Edison are all Rochester. Then 7 other NY schools. A tough national schedule... but still in Rochester league. http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/bishop-kearney-kings-(rochester,ny)/basketball/schedule.htm

I went to their school's website and saw a different schedule??? The one highlighted makes more sense, a bunch of local high schools. Hope to catch one of them, Fairport game is minutes from my house...

That's the Superstar quality you look for in today's big men. Durant, Lebron, Kevin Love it's the guard skills and athleticism that sets them apart. Not comparing him, but these are skills you can't coach. Size and post moves you can.

You can coach size? I'm pissed my HS coaches didn't put in the effort to take me from 6'1" to 6'3" Would have made a world of difference because I'm white and cant jump!

You can coach size? I'm pissed my HS coaches didn't put in the effort to take me from 6'1" to 6'3" Would have made a world of difference because I'm white and cant jump!
You can coach athleticism. Kids get that coaching everyday.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

You can coach athleticism. Kids get that coaching everyday.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Disagree to a point.. Everyone has an athletic peak. If not, everyone in the world would train like crazy and have the skills like LeBron. What coaches can do is teach kids how to unleash their athleticism. Very different.

"The Red Raiders (8-0) never trailed in this matchup of the top two teams in the Democrat and Chronicle Large Schools Coaches Poll, played in front of 1,392 people.
No. 1 Fairport made six 3-pointers in the first half, and finished with eight in the game. Senior Brian Sortino led all scorers with 18 points, including two of the Fairport 3-pointers.
Bishop Kearney, which played without 6-10 senior forward Chinonso Obokoh, was paced by 6-9 sophomore Thomas Bryant, who had 13 points."

Tough season so far for BK and most likely playing without Chino for the rest of the season won't help matters. It does give Bryant a good chance to step up and be a leader, because this will be his team over the next few years.

"The Red Raiders (8-0) never trailed in this matchup of the top two teams in the Democrat and Chronicle Large Schools Coaches Poll, played in front of 1,392 people.
No. 1 Fairport made six 3-pointers in the first half, and finished with eight in the game. Senior Brian Sortino led all scorers with 18 points, including two of the Fairport 3-pointers.
Bishop Kearney, which played without 6-10 senior forward Chinonso Obokoh, was paced by 6-9 sophomore Thomas Bryant, who had 13 points."

Tough season so far for BK and most likely playing without Chino for the rest of the season won't help matters. It does give Bryant a good chance to step up and be a leader, because this will be his team over the next few years.
Wow, sorry about Chino. Francis, any word on the extent of the injury? I know he hasn't played a while, and foot injuries must be rough on big guys. Either way, feel good Chino!

Wow, sorry about Chino. Francis, any word on the extent of the injury? I know he hasn't played a while, and foot injuries must be rough on big guys. Either way, feel good Chino!
Suppose to have an MRI on it and I would guess probably will have surgery. Most likely would've redshirted in his freshman year, but lets hope he can fully heal from this and get valuable practice experience next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom