Thomas Bryant Situation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant Situation

D League.

Again, I'm not saying he's definitely going.
I saying comments like "CMac will obviously be back" are way premature.

Unless he really, really hates college and/or Boeheim, I don't see him trying to fight it out in the D League for $20k per year. The odds are not in his favor in the D League.

I didn't think about it, but Cooney's probably going to be graduating in the Summer. IDK if there's a minimum requirement for credit hours to be eligible to play, but that certainly makes paying his own way much more reasonable. Room and board could be killer, but I'd imagine he could find some accomading roommates.

Grad students need to be in 9 credits to play. I was kidding about him giving up his scholarship, but yes UConn did that to get Drummond, so stranger things have happened.

Some people are still stuck on the "He's gone" theory.

Cooney and Gbinije will both be 5th year seniors next season. If either has enough credits to graduate in May they can be a graduate student and be on academic scholarship if they have good enough grades to get it. That is a possible way out. Anyone know how their grades are?

Cooney and Gbinije will both be 5th year seniors next season. If either has enough credits to graduate in May they can be a graduate student and be on academic scholarship if they have good enough grades to get it. That is a possible way out. Anyone know how their grades are?

I don't think that's right. I don't think you can switch to academic money like that, but maybe I'm wrong. I think any money from SU counts as recruited athletes...I think.

Everyone in creation is going to tell him to stay in school now.

Possibility he wouldn't even get drafted.

I don't pretend to know anything about CMac's academic situation and don't want to insinuate that it is not perfectly fine.

But I am going to address players that are looking at one and done in general. After one year some of them have no choice but to leave for academic reasons. The process cannot be reversed despite the results on the floor. As I said this is a general point that applies to some, that may not apply to Chris at all.

Let's evaluate the scenarios.

Scenario 1
Thomas Bryant does not come to Syracuse. If this is the case, it is most likely because we could not free up a scholarship for him. It would appear that he wants to come to Syracuse, and a one-and-done from McCullough would have made this a possibility, but now our chances with Bryant just slipped a little.

Scenario 2
We get Thomas Bryant. In this scenario someone offers to forego their scholarship in order to get Thomas Bryant to come to Syracuse. Maybe the person with the best grades on the team would have to bite the bullet since they may be eligible for an academic scholarship. Maybe a player whose family can afford a years worth of tuition would bite the bullet. I don't know who it would be but it is possible that this could happen as mentioned with UCONN and Andre Drummond.

Scenario 3
Scholarships are a one year deal. We don't have to offer someone on the current roster a scholarship for next year if we don't want to. But who wouldn't we offer a scholarship to? Chinoso is still young, but talent wise he is probably the lowest on the totem pole (he's our 4th string center, and could be our 5th string center behind Diagne, Bryant, McCullough, and Coleman next year). But as mentioned, Chinoso was high school teammates with Bryant, which is part of the reason we brought Chinoso in. So if not Chinoso, who do we not offer a scholarship to? Ron Patterson? He's shown great energy yet again, but his jumper has been atrocious this year and he'd be stuck behind Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Howard, and Gbinije. He has been valuable this year in late game situations bringing the ball up since Boeheim seems not to trust Joseph yet, but hopefully by next year Joseph will have a better handle. But let's say it's not Patterson or Chinoso, it is possible Coleman could be on the chopping block. He hasn't contributed much due to his health problems and could be in jeopardy of losing his scholarship. He flashed signs of potential when he did play, but not only does he have to work his way back to the caliber of talent that he showed us early in his career, but he also needs to prove that he can exceed that as a junior and senior which is questionable to say the least. After that, BJ Johnson would probably be fourth on the list, but he could develop into a much needed 3 point shooter with some solid athleticism, so I doubt Syracuse would let him go. So the only three options in this scenario would be for Syracuse to take away a scholarship from one of Chinoso/Buss/Coleman in my opinion. It's possible I guess that one of these three could "walk-on" to the team, but I don't know how I would feel about playing for a team that took away my scholarship.

Scenario 4
Instead of not renewing a scholarship, it is possible that a player would transfer for more playing time. Chinoso and Coleman will have both redshirted a season while Buss did a fifth year of high school, so all of them will be a year older than most players in their class. Asking them to transfer would be asking them to be two years older than players in their class since they'll likely have to sit out another year. I don't know if that's going to happen. Maybe BJ Johnson transfers to a school in Philly to get more playing time and to be closer to home, but I personally want him to stick around in Syracuse and don't think he has any plans to leave. So I don't think this scenario will even happen.

Hmmmm.....quite the quandary we have. I say draw straws.

Who do you have draw though? :)

Let's evaluate the scenarios.

Scenario 3
Scholarships are a one year deal. We don't have to offer someone on the current roster a scholarship for next year if we don't want to. But who wouldn't we offer a scholarship to? Chinoso is still young, but talent wise he is probably the lowest on the totem pole (he's our 4th string center, and could be our 5th string center behind Diagne, Bryant, McCullough, and Coleman next year). But as mentioned, Chinoso was high school teammates with Bryant, which is part of the reason we brought Chinoso in. So if not Chinoso, who do we not offer a scholarship to? Ron Patterson? He's shown great energy yet again, but his jumper has been atrocious this year and he'd be stuck behind Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Howard, and Gbinije. He has been valuable this year in late game situations bringing the ball up since Boeheim seems not to trust Joseph yet, but hopefully by next year Joseph will have a better handle. But let's say it's not Patterson or Chinoso, it is possible Coleman could be on the chopping block. He hasn't contributed much due to his health problems and could be in jeopardy of losing his scholarship. He flashed signs of potential when he did play, but not only does he have to work his way back to the caliber of talent that he showed us early in his career, but he also needs to prove that he can exceed that as a junior and senior which is questionable to say the least. After that, BJ Johnson would probably be fourth on the list, but he could develop into a much needed 3 point shooter with some solid athleticism, so I doubt Syracuse would let him go. So the only three options in this scenario would be for Syracuse to take away a scholarship from one of Chinoso/Buss/Coleman in my opinion. It's possible I guess that one of these three could "walk-on" to the team, but I don't know how I would feel about playing for a team that took away my scholarship.

Boeheim cutting Coleman loose after a medical redshirt year would be terrible for local recruiting.

I don't think that's right. I don't think you can switch to academic money like that, but maybe I'm wrong. I think any money from SU counts as recruited athletes...I think.
I know the NCAA doesn't allow "stashing" of scholarship athletes as has been done in the past.

as long as we are spinning fantasies: Cooney & G are going to graduate and forgo their final year of eligibility for the big dollars available on the international circuit

From all accounts Bryant can play center. Bryant/Coleman at the 5 with Bryant getting time in at 4 also with McCollough. As long as a scholly is open and there are no major sanctions I think we are still good with TB.

Grad students need to be in 9 credits to play. I was kidding about him giving up his scholarship, but yes UConn did that to get Drummond, so stranger things have happened.
I'm not saying you are incorrect, but didn't christmas say that he only has one class this year and it's only on Mondays. I know he's in grad school, but how does he meet the 9 credit requirement then. I could be remembering this wrong about what was said from him.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, but didn't christmas say that he only has one class this year and it's only on Mondays. I know he's in grad school, but how does he meet the 9 credit requirement then.
independent studies - my grad school transcripts are full of them

I just don't see him coming here, even if a spot does open up it.

He's already mentioned he likes how IU develops bigs and gets them to the pros and he's calling an offer from Kentucky a blessing and flexing in front of Cal after a nice play. Outside of his mom what has he said about the Cuse other than they're in play? I'd love for him to come here but I just don't see it.

He's already mentioned he likes how IU develops bigs and gets them to the pros and he's calling an offer from Kentucky a blessing and flexing in front of Cal after a nice play. Outside of his mom what has he said about the Cuse other than they're in play? I'd love for him to come here but I just don't see it.

Have you forwarded your application to Coach Cal to join his coaching staff ?

CuseHulk said:

What did I say about Bryant that wasn't true in regards to Kentucky and IU?

We're above IU. Kentucky might be neck-and-neck with us, but I don't see him going to a school that's probably going to be firing their terrible head coach after this season.

I didn't think about it, but Cooney's probably going to be graduating in the Summer. IDK if there's a minimum requirement for credit hours to be eligible to play, but that certainly makes paying his own way much more reasonable. Room and board could be killer, but I'd imagine he could find some accommodating roommates.

And he would do this why exactly?

CuseHulk said:

You think this looks like a guy who has made his decision?

image-3698151178.jpg

image-1204886515.jpg

Attachments

• image-3506130117.jpg
    image-3506130117.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 144
What did I say about Bryant that wasn't true in regards to Kentucky and IU?

Dean Francis

"UK is in the mix for several other bigs that are prioritized higher than Bryant. If they land one of those then it'll knock them out"
"UK only cares for Bryant if they miss out on Zimmerman, Swanigan, Rabb, and Maker(when he reclassifies). I doubt UK will rack that many misses."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom