Thomas Bryant Situation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant Situation

CuseHulk said:
Dean Francis "UK is in the mix for several other bigs that are prioritized higher than Bryant. If they land one of those then it'll knock them out" "UK only cares for Bryant if they miss out on Zimmerman, Swanigan, Rabb, and Maker(when he reclassifies). I doubt UK will rack that many misses."

Well, they've offered him. They're preparing for misses and if shows with their offer, seems you're more confident in them grabbing one of them than Cal is at this point. It's not like Cal won't take 3 7 footers on his squad, counting Kentucky out on TB is just dumb.

Brooky03 said:
In a word, no. I know you're trying to temper expectations and provide another perspective, but I'd just like to point out that it's just as crazy to think he's going to either one of those schools as it is to think he's going to Syracuse.

I don't know where he's going and not saying we're not in the mix. If we have an advantage it's literally 34% SU, 33% Kentucky, 33% IU.

We have so many question marks right now I honestly don't believe we have the advantage on him unfortunately.

I don't believe it's the given that CMc comes back that others do.

Everyone on planet earth considers it a given that he will be back. Common sense is a big part of that equation. I am sure science to a point can prove he will be back as well. My thinking has shifted onto Bryant and how he gets here. Next year will be insane.

I don't believe it's the given that CMc comes back that others do.
dj is correct here . . . he is not predicting that CM will leave, but he's right that it is far from certain that he'll return. I think he'll return, but if I had to make up a number to attach to that I'd say 85%, for whatever that is worth.

Everyone in creation is going to tell him to stay in school now.

Possibility he wouldn't even get drafted.
Yeah, his situation is certainly different that Noel's when he got hurt. It's hard to believe he can drop from a projected draft spot of 10 to 24 while healthy and not drop at least to the end of the second round after getting hurt.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, but didn't christmas say that he only has one class this year and it's only on Mondays. I know he's in grad school, but how does he meet the 9 credit requirement then. I could be remembering this wrong about what was said from him.

I think the program that he is enrolled in has a lot of online courses available, so that might be what he's doing.

An end of the bench scholarship player gave up his Scholarship. For Andre Drummond.

Duke did the same thing. One of their recruits in a six player class, I think Marius Pocius (sp?), paid his own way for a year so another guy could get the scholarship.

Trueblue25 said:
I've really grown to like each player on this team and would hate to see someone transfer.

But in all reality it would probably be better for both the player and the program.

Next season (if McCullough comes back) you have Roberson, G, McCullough, Lydon, Richardon (at the 3 sometimes) and Diagne. Only person I can see that BJ would be ahead of on the depth chart is Lydon.

Back court is just as bad for Buss with Cooney, Joseph, Richardson, Howard and sometimes G ahead of him.

No reason to let a 4th of 5th guy on the depth chart keep you away from a top recruit at a position that you're going to desperately need.

I also like Moose incoming and Coleman coming back strong. Would be nice to have Bryant's energy and toughness but he's not the key to a championship. Coleman is just as hype and this is his city. Ooo that boy's gonna be belting out some fire next season, book it.

Flintstones said:
I also like Moose incoming and Coleman coming back strong. Would be nice to have Bryant's energy and toughness but he's not the key to a championship. Coleman is just as hype and this is his city. Ooo that boy's gonna be belting out some fire next season, book it.

I'm a little weary about Coleman. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when he got injured and he hasn't played a real game in almost two years when he returns next year. Next season could be a long long long year for him.

I'm a little weary about Coleman. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when he got injured and he hasn't played a real game in almost two years when he returns next year. Next season could be a long long long year for him.

He also played around 13 minutes per. Give him 30 minutes and he's a 10 and 10 guy. Coleman's biggest problem was conditioning, double clutching, and bring the ball down low. I wouldn't call him raw.

If he comes back near 100% I take a redshirt junior, former McD all-american over yet another unproven incoming freshman.

Flintstones said:
He also played around 13 minutes per. Give him 30 minutes and he's a 10 and 10 guy. Coleman's biggest problem was conditioning, double clutching, and bring the ball down low. I wouldn't call him raw. If he comes back near 100% I take a redshirt junior, former McD all-american over yet another unproven incoming freshman.

Yeah, he played 13 minutes per for a reason, he wasn't ready. With no practice or game time in two years I fail to see how that makes him ready to play 30 and put up a double double.

I think Bryant will be more ready than DC next season. Two years is just a long time to be inactive.

Flintstones said:
We will seee. It's just good to see you optimistic about something

I'm optimistic about a lot of things.

But in all reality it would probably be better for both the player and the program.

Next season (if McCullough comes back) you have Roberson, G, McCullough, Lydon, Richardon (at the 3 sometimes) and Diagne. Only person I can see that BJ would be ahead of on the depth chart is Lydon.

Back court is just as bad for Buss with Cooney, Joseph, Richardson, Howard and sometimes G ahead of him.

No reason to let a 4th of 5th guy on the depth chart keep you away from a top recruit at a position that you're going to desperately need.

Richardson is not going to be playing much, if any of the 3 at SU. He is and will be SG. I am almost certain enough to bet money that Howard is nowhere near good enough to put himself above Buss. I just don't see where Howard will get any minutes, and I wish he would redshirt, though I doubt he will. I can't see where his ball skills will be better than buss, and he will have the added disadvantage of not knowing the defense.

At this point, I have come to the conclusion that almost no kids coming in, are going to satisfy JB's needs on the defensive end of the court in their first year. The best situation for them will be if there just isn't anyone in front of them. Otherwise, they will get very few minutes. JB has reached the point in his career where he feels that defense is just too important to let slide. As much as I would wish it to happen, I don't see any of the recruits (and potential recruit) coming in who will be so dynamic on the offensive side of the ball to overcome the defensive lapses that will occur.

Diagne at most may play some PF, but I think he will find it difficult, at least the first couple years, to handle PF, so will end up primarily as a C.

Lydon should certainly be a redshirt candidate.

JB is very loyal, especially to local players. He will give DC2 every chance to be successful. Personally, I think that he will, though I expect his Junior year to be a bit of a roller coaster, I truly think he will be outstanding his senior year.

With all these things being said. I expect McCullough to be back next year, and I don't think Bryant will end up coming to SU. JB made his comment before the ACL tear occurred, and I think it changes everything with McCullough. Yes, DC2 will not have played in a year and a half, but he does know the defense. That puts him at an advantage over everyone, but maybe Obokoh. But, Obokoh isn't honestly a threat to start at Center next year.

Yeah, he played 13 minutes per for a reason, he wasn't ready. With no practice or game time in two years I fail to see how that makes him ready to play 30 and put up a double double.

I think Bryant will be more ready than DC next season. Two years is just a long time to be inactive.

just for clarity, DC2 won't have been totally inactive for 2 years. he's practicing hard now and if deemed healthy enough might even get some summer run (even though I wouldn't risk it).

here's another question about Bryant. does the increased competition for minutes next year change his orange desires at all? Assuming CMac is back he is prob starting at the 4. same with DC at 5. Roberson will be a returning starting 4. Diange will hit shots and will either get mins or have a fan base screaming for more burn. I know TB will get his, prob as a high rotation backup 5, but thats a lot of beef to contend with.

just for clarity, DC2 won't have been totally inactive for 2 years. he's practicing hard now and if deemed healthy enough might even get some summer run (even though I wouldn't risk it).

here's another question about Bryant. does the increased competition for minutes next year change his orange desires at all? Assuming CMac is back he is prob starting at the 4. same with DC at 5. Roberson will be a returning starting 4. Diange will hit shots and will either get mins or have a fan base screaming for more burn. I know TB will get his, prob as a high rotation backup 5, but thats a lot of beef to contend with.
I'm not sure why you are assuming Coleman automatically will start next year if Bryant comes. Coleman wasn't anywhere near a force before the injury on offense and especially on defense. His defense is what kept him from playing solid minutes because he didn't have the lateral quickness to cover the baseline, short corner, or high post effectively. I understand he lost weight and that is great, but his knee concerns still make we wonder how great he will be in the zone.

Based on lowering the shoulder last night...and our recent football "success"...lets ask Shaf to give Obokoh a football ship, have him "play" DE and show up ala Tuten and McNabb in Nov when we become bowl ineligible :). Give Bryant the now open hoops schollie...problem solved!

Richardson is not going to be playing much, if any of the 3 at SU. He is and will be SG. I am almost certain enough to bet money that Howard is nowhere near good enough to put himself above Buss. I just don't see where Howard will get any minutes, and I wish he would redshirt, though I doubt he will. I can't see where his ball skills will be better than buss, and he will have the added disadvantage of not knowing the defense.

At this point, I have come to the conclusion that almost no kids coming in, are going to satisfy JB's needs on the defensive end of the court in their first year. The best situation for them will be if there just isn't anyone in front of them. Otherwise, they will get very few minutes. JB has reached the point in his career where he feels that defense is just too important to let slide. As much as I would wish it to happen, I don't see any of the recruits (and potential recruit) coming in who will be so dynamic on the offensive side of the ball to overcome the defensive lapses that will occur.

Diagne at most may play some PF, but I think he will find it difficult, at least the first couple years, to handle PF, so will end up primarily as a C.

Lydon should certainly be a redshirt candidate.

JB is very loyal, especially to local players. He will give DC2 every chance to be successful. Personally, I think that he will, though I expect his Junior year to be a bit of a roller coaster, I truly think he will be outstanding his senior year.

With all these things being said. I expect McCullough to be back next year, and I don't think Bryant will end up coming to SU. JB made his comment before the ACL tear occurred, and I think it changes everything with McCullough. Yes, DC2 will not have played in a year and a half, but he does know the defense. That puts him at an advantage over everyone, but maybe Obokoh. But, Obokoh isn't honestly a threat to start at Center next year.

I have no personal knowledge but others, including those seemingly in the know on here, have told me that Howard is being recruited as a PG. Depth at 1 is a huge roster problem, and has been for a while. If Howard can play that role, 5-10 mins of good PG play, he will be key contributor who eventually develops into our next "Scoop."

I'm not sure why you are assuming Coleman automatically will start next year if Bryant comes. Coleman wasn't anywhere near a force before the injury on offense and especially on defense. His defense is what kept him from playing solid minutes because he didn't have the lateral quickness to cover the baseline, short corner, or high post effectively. I understand he lost weight and that is great, but his knee concerns still make we wonder how great he will be in the zone.

the same reason I'm assuming Chris starts too, even though Roberson will also be a returning starter. status thing that Jimmy usually adheres to. based on production, I could see it ending up being like Forth where DC starts and plays 5-8 mins then Bryant/Diange play out the half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom