Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on.

I’m always resistant to the notion of “the game has passed him by” critiques. It always seems lazy to me.

However, basketball is increasingly unrecognizable from the game that was played even 20 years ago. Advanced scouting, advanced analytics, etc.

If we were still pulling in recruiting classes with top 50 and top 100 players we could probably get by. But we’re not. AND we don’t seem to run a scheme that puts any pressure on our opponents, both offensively and defensively.

We may be the easiest team to prepare for in college hoops.

So, yeah, I agree.

The line used against us 15 or so years ago was easiest team to prepare for, hardest team to play.

The second part no longer is valid.

He deserves the right to leave when he wants, even if that means bringing the program down further, right?

Don’t understand how there are people out there who see it that way. Is it like the captain of the titanic who went down with his ship?

He deserves the right to leave when he wants, even if that means bringing the program down further, right?

Don’t understand how there are people out there who see it that way. Is it like the captain of the titanic who went down with his ship?
Psychological with many people. They fear one day they will be no longer seen as useful, especially in jobs they have remained loyal. They’re projecting their own fears and insecurities into JB’s situation.

The line used against us 15 or so years ago was easiest team to prepare for, hardest team to play.

The second part no longer is valid.

Good way to position it. It is in part due to the game having changed with shooters everywhere and the ability to make an open 3 is no longer a specialized skill. Most d1 level guards and wings can hit that shot at a good clip.

And we don’t have long guys on the wings to close those shots out.

To some degree yes but in today's game as we saw in 2018, you must sacrifice offense to put what you need on the floor to do that. So even when you thread the needle on D, you lose too much of it back on offense. Even with that length it's still less effective as there are more shooters on the floor pretty much every game than 10 years ago.

Don't discount that you also have to have bigger guards today as well as teams will put a 6-5 shooter at the top of the zone for kick outs as well- longer forwards does nothing for that.

7 assists. In a college basketball game.

44cuse
Wow! That screams a team coming in UNPREPARED! Just sounds like offensive isolation the whole game.
Like I have been saying it is just so easy to prepare for Syracuse basketball because we do the same exact thing every freaking game every freaking moment

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Rumors we might be headed down the same path with an inhouse promotion. Which I believe will set us back even more.
It will. A big name hire would put us ahead of the curve versus UNC and Duke. We need to get back on track before those schools move on from Davis and Scheyer.

The only positive from an in-house promotion is that the university will get it out of its system. Mizzou replaced Norm Stewart with Quin Snyder, followed by Mike Anderson and Frank Haith. Those were all great hires, but some of the more notable alums still wanted to give Kim Anderson (longtime Stewart assistant) a shot. He finally got his shot post-Haith and failed miserably. At least there was no doubt afterwards. Lesson learned.

What does that even mean, bring it down further? This is either a high-profile gig with attractions like the Dome and the Melo Center or it isn’t.

It’s funny, some of you keep saying the program is bigger than JB (of course it is), yet insist he has the power to turn the program into shambles. If that’s the case, then the program wasn’t much to begin with.

No, it’s not the case.

The program is going downhill and into shambles under his watch. He is past his prime. I never said he was bigger than the program. I fully anticipate the program to be turned around if they make the right hire.
I think Day2 misread your post, thinking you believe Jim should stay as long as he wants. You clearly don't believe that.

While I used to think the whole keeping it in the family thing was kinda cool, I'm way over that. Bring in the best man (coach) for the job, and get us back to our winning ways. One positive from Jim continuing to drive the program downward is that I can see how another coach could look at the opportunity as a good one - there is a LOT of room for improvement. An outside hire could really energize the fan base, improve our state of recruiting, compete for acc titles, and get us back into ncaa tourney discussion each year.

Paul was in the exact same spot as Jim. Program going down hill. Running antiquated schemes. Recruiting mediocre at best. It was time for Paul to go (before the vote of confidence and the bowl game, not after).

I'd push back here in regards to your sentiment in the "exact same spot." This is hardly the case in my opinion. First, at 55 years of age (during his last season at SU) P was a spring chicken compared to JB. Moreover, the proximate cause of the "program going down hill" and "recruiting mediocre at best" was the gross negligence on behalf of his superiors and the powers that be at the time. Our facilities, infrastructure, etc. had become significant laggards in the the industry that was Division 1 football. It played a huge role in how our recruiting had dropped off to where it did, and P's lack of success.

Paul went on to coach for years in the NFL afterwards. Today, there isn't any NBA team that would give JB a sniff at anything, let alone another P5/P6 type level hoops program at his age. The one similarity between the two, was the fact that each only had one losing record during his tenure.

In the broader scope, nowadays with all of the infrastructure, facility improvements, etc. the university has afforded its revenue sports teams, the comparison isn't close to being in the same ballpark.

It's time.

I'm a mid 40's guy. Level-headed (for the most part). I've always been super hesitant to take a firm stance here because I was so deferential to the guy who got this program where it was, and also because I saw what change for the sake of change did for the football program 2 decades ago. I've NEVER said its unequivocally time. I'm not a reactionary type.

But I hit my breaking point today when I saw how flat and ill-prepared this team was in a must win game.

This program was built up on Boeheim and through both lack of ability to adapt to the modern game and lack of ability to recruit for it, he is just taking us down. He cannot and will not take us back to the top of the mountain. We absolutely and without question need a change. And it cannot just be moving a younger protege into the role who will tote out an adaptation of the same outdated schemes. We need an absolute reset and recharge.

Jim Boeheim has had a legendary career. It is time for the reigns to be handed over. Not in 2 years.

Now.
Hopefully this will be JB’s last year and the Wake Forest celebration will be the fitting close to his legendary career

Hiring from within and retaining the schemes we currently have would be the equivalent of pouring gasoline on the smoldering remains of our program's relevance.

We will be DePaul in a few years.
That won’t happen. The second chair can think for himself. We just need to make it happen soon.