Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on.

I think Day2 misread your post, thinking you believe Jim should stay as long as he wants. You clearly don't believe that.
No, I didn’t read it that way.

I'd push back here in regards to your sentiment in the "exact same spot." This is hardly the case in my opinion. First, at 55 years of age (during his last season at SU) P was a spring chicken compared to JB. Moreover, the proximate cause of the "program going down hill" and "recruiting mediocre at best" was the gross negligence on behalf of his superiors and the powers that be at the time. Our facilities, infrastructure, etc. had become significant laggards in the the industry that was Division 1 football. It played a huge role in how our recruiting had dropped off to where it did, and P's lack of success.

Paul went on to coach for years in the NFL afterwards. Today, there isn't any NBA team that would give JB a sniff at anything, let alone another P5/P6 type level hoops program at his age. The one similarity between the two, was the fact that each only had one losing record during his tenure.

In the broader scope, nowadays with all of the infrastructure, facility improvements, etc. the university has afforded its revenue sports teams, the comparison isn't close to being in the same ballpark.
That, and Pasqualoni wasn’t as accomplished as JB.

The program is going downhill and into shambles under his watch. He is past his prime. I never said he was bigger than the program. I fully anticipate the program to be turned around if they make the right hire.
So why does it matter how low he brings down the program? Who replaces him is what matters most.

So why does it matter how low he brings down the program? Who replaces him is what matters most.
So it doesn’t matter how low he goes? Ok buddy….
I think it will still matter to some people if he continues 2-3 more years and they continue to be cheeks. The dome will be empty.

Time matters because the farther the program gets from relevance, the less attractive the job gets, the harder it becomes to bring in the right coach and the longer it takes for the energy to return.

When JW and JB finally decided to retire. Do they give it to Red or Gmac. Or Blow it up go out side of the Family?

People who think our success is solely tied to Boeheim that have been doing the fear mongering “be careful what you wish for” crap like to downplay the draw of the Dome these days, but…..there’s zero reason we should ever have a bad team while we play here. Every single SU player ever talks about the Dome being a major factor, but that doesn’t fit the narrative for some who think our recruiting issues aren’t caused by having an 80 year old coach…

I was disappointed that they lost to Duke as well. It was not a good performance. What I don’t get is the concept that this was some paradigm shifting performance. I would ask those fans. What the heck have you been watching the last few years ?

Benny and Maliq are pretty long. The scheme is bad in todays game. The game changed. We have not.
Benny’s instincts and aggressiveness aren’t there at this point. He can jump high but that rarely helps him make a play.

I agree the scheme is bad though.

Benny's completely lost, and in our system Maliq should be sitting and learning.

I don't hate the zone, I think the biggest place JB has slipped has been in the GM role of the job.
Maliq should be the guy we’re still complaining isn’t getting enough time.

People who think our success is solely tied to Boeheim that have been doing the fear mongering “be careful what you wish for” crap like to downplay the draw of the Dome these days, but…..there’s zero reason we should ever have a bad team while we play here. Every single SU player ever talks about the Dome being a major factor, but that doesn’t fit the narrative for some who think our recruiting issues aren’t caused by having an 80 year old coach…

That’s cherry picking. Eli has also talked highly of JB and most every recruit we’ve gotten, and some we didn’t end up getting, have mentioned playing for a HOF coach.

That’s cherry picking. Eli has also talked highly of JB and most every recruit we’ve gotten, and some we didn’t end up getting, have mentioned playing for a HOF coach.
We’ve had some really good players during this downturn, but the issue is we are always a player or two short at some position.

This year it’s the forwards. A lot of years it’s been center and point guard.

That’s cherry picking. Eli has also talked highly of JB and most every recruit we’ve gotten, and some we didn’t end up getting, have mentioned playing for a HOF coach

My point is, we’ve had people go as far as to say the Dome isn’t a draw anymore. The kids who play here(and even the ones who don’t) always say otherwise.

It’s obviously not the one and only factor taken into consideration for a recruit, but it’s clearly always a major plus for us.

My point is, we’ve had people go as far as to say the Dome isn’t a draw anymore. The kids who play here(and even the ones who don’t) always say otherwise.

It’s obviously not the one and only factor taken into consideration for a recruit, but it’s clearly always a major plus for us.
If I had to guess, I'd say most players who played on good-to-great Power Six teams enjoyed playing in their home venue no matter where they played.

From a fan's perspective, seeing 25K+ in an on-campus crowd is always exhilarating and I'm sure our players love it too, but those games are getting fewer and farther between, regardless of the reason (SU's performance, legacy programs like Duke and UNC going through transitions, nationwide trends are the ones most often cited). And when there's less than 20K it feels even smaller because the place is so huge.

Personally I think it's kind of depressing that the athletic department had to put on the all-out marketing blitz to get people to come. I know not having K there takes some of the emotion out of it, but man that was thirsty. And I don't even live in CNY.

Dome was amazing on Saturday night. People were fired up during intros. With the new lights, scoreboard. Place is awesome.

I actually played it smart.

Had to go out to an event. Watched first 10 mins and left. Listened on SiriusXM in the car as Duke went on the run. Already knew the result before it even ended. #predictable

I've been a casual basketball fan for several years now as I saw the Bowden/Beamer effect happening...cept we continue roll down the hill with no end date.

Weeeeeeeeee

If I had to guess, I'd say most players who played on good-to-great Power Six teams enjoyed playing in their home venue no matter where they played.

From a fan's perspective, seeing 25K+ in an on-campus crowd is always exhilarating and I'm sure our players love it too, but those games are getting fewer and farther between, regardless of the reason (SU's performance, legacy programs like Duke and UNC going through transitions, nationwide trends are the ones most often cited). And when there's less than 20K it feels even smaller because the place is so huge.

Personally I think it's kind of depressing that the athletic department had to put on the all-out marketing blitz to get people to come. I know not having K there takes some of the emotion out of it, but man that was thirsty. And I don't even live in CNY.
Do said power 6 players say things like “once I saw that______(fill in arena name), it was over.”

For example, I’m thinking of Josh Pace during his Devendorf podcast appearance - he said he went to the football game against VT and was like “we play our basketball games HERE?!”, and that was it for him. Lol.

I think the dome is still a draw especially when it is packed like Saturday.