Today we are all Bearcat fans | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Today we are all Bearcat fans

Jeez, even in that grainy footage Texas sure had a lot of late hits and piling on that wasn't called. The refs did call some crucial penalties on the Longhorns though. Do any historians on the board (maybe SWC aka Steve from North Syracuse) know where those refs were from in that Cotton Bowl?

From "Big Bowl Football: The Great Postseason Classics" by Fred Russell and George Leonard (1963):

The game was marked by displays of temper and considerable arguing. Schwartzwalder came on the field in the first quarter to ask for an interpretation of a defensive holding penalty. They Syracuse party strenuously objected to the rulings of umpire Julius Truelson, a Southwest Conference official.

"Early in the game the umpire told us we couldn't hit 'em like this", said coach of the year Schwartzwalder, lashing out with his right arm. "we've bene doing this all year in every section of the country. Now, how can you play football under these conditions?"

Truelson said "the basic interpretation of blocking in the East and down here in the Southwest was the foundation for Syracuse's disagreement with my calls. Every foul i called was there in big, bold letters."

From "The Syracuse Football Story" by Ken Rappoport (1975):

Along with the poor conduct, there was poor officiating. Syracuse players remember. Youmans says that some Eastern officials were so upset by the calls against Syracuse by Southwestern officials that one of them said "Hey, we've got to make some calls to counter-act their calls, they're so bad."

"There were a couple really bad calls against us", says Davis, (I assume that's Roger Davis). the one that stuck out in my mind was when we scored a touchdown right at the end of the first half that really would have blown the game open, but they called it back on a holding call. the thing was, the guy they called it on wasn't even near anybody at the time. We watched it later on film, and it didn't look like there was any way he could have held the guy."

So it was a mixed ECAC-SWC crew that was competing with each other as much as the players were.

What interests me is that Davis has to be talking about the pass to ken Erickson at the 4:25 mark. I have always felt that the film shoed Erickson fumbling after he had crossed the goal line. In the film, (and in Big Bowl Football), this is described as a fumble that went through the end zone for a touchback. Davis says that it was a potential game-breaking play nullified by a bad holding call.

So what. Ohio State, Michigan State and Notre Dame have all done worse before.

If the measure of deserving to be in the playoff is Alabama, then Cicny didn't belong. But few teams do.

From "Big Bowl Football: The Great Postseason Classics" by Fred Russell and George Leonard (1963):

The game was marked by displays of temper and considerable arguing. Schwartzwalder came on the field in the first quarter to ask for an interpretation of a defensive holding penalty. They Syracuse party strenuously objected to the rulings of umpire Julius Truelson, a Southwest Conference official.

"Early in the game the umpire told us we couldn't hit 'em like this", said coach of the year Schwartzwalder, lashing out with his right arm. "we've bene doing this all year in every section of the country. Now, how can you play football under these conditions?"

Truelson said "the basic interpretation of blocking in the East and down here in the Southwest was the foundation for Syracuse's disagreement with my calls. Every foul i called was there in big, bold letters."

From "The Syracuse Football Story" by Ken Rappoport (1975):

Along with the poor conduct, there was poor officiating. Syracuse players remember. Youmans says that some Eastern officials were so upset by the calls against Syracuse by Southwestern officials that one of them said "Hey, we've got to make some calls to counter-act their calls, they're so bad."

"There were a couple really bad calls against us", says Davis, (I assume that's Roger Davis). the one that stuck out in my mind was when we scored a touchdown right at the end of the first half that really would have blown the game open, but they called it back on a holding call. the thing was, the guy they called it on wasn't even near anybody at the time. We watched it later on film, and it didn't look like there was any way he could have held the guy."

So it was a mixed ECAC-SWC crew that was competing with each other as much as the players were.

What interests me is that Davis has to be talking about the pass to ken Erickson at the 4:25 mark. I have always felt that the film shoed Erickson fumbling after he had crossed the goal line. In the film, (and in Big Bowl Football), this is described as a fumble that went through the end zone for a touchback. Davis says that it was a potential game-breaking play nullified by a bad holding call.
Thanks a million Steve. I can always count on you to get the answer. You should do a Syracuse blog. I would read it, your research is top notch.

Stayed away from betting these games. Once I saw the public all over Michigan that should have been my que to hammer the Dawgs

Since Ohio St in 2014-15 no one except Clemson has really threatened outside the SEC. It's depressing.
It’s not the SEC it’s Alabama and Georgia and LSU every 4 years. The rest of the SEC won’t dominate these playoff games.

Those 2 teams are recruiting insanely well and have good coaches.

Once Saban retires Alabama will take a step back.
Clemson took a step back because their OL and QB sucked this year.
Put Wake’s QB on Clemson they could compete with Bama and Georgia now.
Ohio State could as well.
Only a few teams have the talent that can beat Alabama.

It’s not the SEC it’s Alabama and Georgia and LSU every 4 years. The rest of the SEC won’t dominate these playoff games.

Those 2 teams are recruiting insanely well and have good coaches.

Once Saban retires Alabama will take a step back.
Clemson took a step back because their OL and QB sucked this year.
Put Wake’s QB on Clemson they could compete with Bama and Georgia now.
Ohio State could as well.
Only a few teams have the talent that can beat Alabama.

A&M is getting close to jumping into that conversation as well.

But yea, it’s basically those SEC teams, Clemson and Ohio State.

Clemson and Ohio State have down years = Free pass for the SEC top tier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom