Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT

If I were the P3, I’d try to find some common ground in scheduling. Start same time, try to end same time and build in an extra bye week or two for a potential make up game. Line it all up for the same conference championship weekend and then just have the CFP to determine a champion, maybe some upper tier bowls if this thing gets better.

Definitely need a protocol for what happens if someone tests positive pregame. If they were negative the test before, and asymptomatic, can they just be isolated from the team and the game goes on? Saturday mornings are going to be wild with active/inactive, potential postponements.

...or maybe we’re pleasantly surprised and this isn’t a huge issue. ...but there certainly has to be contingency plans.

id be stunned if this isn’t an issue at least once In college and prob nfl too.

You can interpret this study any way you choose. The R value they chose is all over the place- varying depending on the scientist's estimate. It doesn't account for waste water monitoring -Our strategy, that has shown success. I do think its important to note, that symptomatic only testing results in a near 100% infection rate. Its also important to note, that models don't necessarily reflect reality.

With drinking/socializing the #1 risk factor, and living in a group setting the #2? I tend to lean towards their findings.

Think that sums up the situation as pertains to football, college campuses, and really day to day life with this in general. There's a lot of theories mixing with fact and equally it's difficult to parse data specifically when some, ie covid deaths, can at times be scrutinized. It's truly exhausting to try and decipher if the situation is exactly as some portray or potential much more or less dire. There are rumblings of easier, immediate tests on the horizon which should go a long way towards having a truly accurate baseline to build from.

I'm admittedly not in the camp that thinks Spring will look drastically different than it currently does. To point with football, if we can't successfully pull it off in the Fall, what more could be done differently to ensure better results in Spring?

Penn State to ACC! Make it happen!

I think Penn State would become a juggernaut in the ACC. An easier schedule, more access to Virginia, Carolinas and Florida recruits. Some yearly old rivalry games with Pitt, Cuse and BC. A yearly match up with Clemson in the ACC championship to determine who goes to the playoff. It would be a home run for Penn St and the ACC.

no because they have to go into quarentine for like 10-14 days if they leave the bubble...so of course no one has gotten it...that’s the whole point of the bubble.

a better compare in your example would be the ufc fights in the us
I would think MLB is another good example. And in no time at all we’ve had multiple teams having to cancel multiple games due to outbreaks despite having substantial resources. If conferences try to play this will inevitably happen to some programs, and that’s a best case scenario.

I would think MLB is another good example. And in no time at all we’ve had multiple teams having to cancel multiple games due to outbreaks despite having substantial resources. If conferences try to play this will inevitably happen to some programs, and that’s a best case scenario.

I think that's the main argument against a fall season. What happens if you start, but have an outbreak on a team. Does the infected player get quarantined alone? His positional group? The entire team? Does the team have to forfeit the game that week? Does the team have to opt out for the rest of the year to get things under control?

It could be turmoil quickly if we have multiple teams get positive tests, which seems inevitable. And in that case, does it make sense to postpone / defer / delay, rather than start and be forced to stop if things go off the rails?

I think that's the main argument against a fall season. What happens if you start, but have an outbreak on a team. Does the infected player get quarantined alone? His positional group? The entire team? Does the team have to forfeit the game that week? Does the team have to opt out for the rest of the year to get things under control?

It could be turmoil quickly if we have multiple teams get positive tests, which seems inevitable. And in that case, does it make sense to postpone / defer / delay, rather than start and be forced to stop if things go off the rails?
Football wouldn’t be as hard to schedule if the conferences used their heads.

Group teams into 4. Think SU/BC/Pitt/ND.

Okay week 1 SU plays, BC. Pitt plays ND.
Week 2 SU plays Pitt, BC plays ND.
Week 3 SU plays ND, BC play Pitt.

Each of these 4 teams has a double week. So they can quarantine and get healthy.

Weeks 6-8 A new group of 4 teams. Say SU/UVA/Miami/Wake/Clemson

Then bye weeks 9-10

Then you play a final group of 4 teams from weeks 11-13.

9 game regular season.
Championship game week 14.

The advantage that MLB has is that games can be made up, rescheduled and restructured on the fly. Though STL has missed almost two weeks of games and would have to play something like 55 games in 46 days now to complete a full season, which seems daunting if not impossible. CFB has less flexibility and bigger rosters, which wont help when outbreaks start to occur. Some people think college kids are most responsible for continued spread but that college athletes are going to have the discipline to abide by strict Covid protocols all season?

When Rece Davis steps up and blasts the notion of spring football then you know the concept is a bad idea. One of the more circumspect guys out there on the sports media landscape. Two simple reasons why it's a horrible idea. 1) makes a mockery of player safety. They're going to finish up in May (or later if a postseason) and then start camp in August? Nuts. 2) how many draft eligible guys would play football in the spring? Hardly any would be my guess. Why bother?

When Rece Davis steps up and blasts the notion of spring football then you know the concept is a bad idea. One of the more circumspect guys out there on the sports media landscape. Two simple reasons why it's a horrible idea. 1) makes a mockery of player safety. They're going to finish up in May (or later if a postseason) and then start camp in August? Nuts. 2) how many draft eligible guys would play football in the spring? Hardly any would be my guess. Why bother?

My reasoning why they said they would "try to postpone until spring" is: 1) soften the blow and get votes vs cancelling all together; and 2) Prevent players from being able to transfer immediately. If the season is still hypothetically going to happen during this school year, then players may not be able to immediately transfer. We'll find out soon.

If fall is dangerous because of the virus, and spring is dangerous because players cant play 2 seasons with only 6 months between, then cancel the season outright.

Neither of the above scenarios prioritize player safety.

As an aside...if teams end in January, when does Spring practice start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom