Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also see this becoming much more common with the transfer portal as it has become. A QB is used to being a star, and teams are going to have trouble holding onto a really stellar backup QB. That being said. I really like Jacobian last season. He may even have more potential for us. So we do have a very decent backup.
I’m sure it’s been beaten to death, but the portal is going to interfere with many programs’ abilities to maintain depth.

It is odd/unfortunate that he didn’t thank the coaching staff that groomed him to be the QB from the get go. Dino was probably loyal to him to a fault and gave him every chance to show he was the guy for the job.

2+ seasons as the starting QB and you can’t thank the staff for the opportunity?

That’s a bad look from him.
I think it’s fair to say that if DFB did get canned, the fact that he stuck with TD for so long played a major role in it.

He can portal and stay with the team on the sideline.
Is all I said.
I got no problem with him portaling.
He should look out for his best interests.
He could be announced out for the season and finish with his teammates.
He gets nothing out of leaving now other than he wants to be away.
Portaling?

A biogenetic structural explanation is offered for the cross-culturally common mystical experience called portalling, the experience of moving from one reality to another via a tunnel, door, aperture, hole, o r the like.

I’m sure it’s been beaten to death, but the portal is going to interfere with many programs’ abilities to maintain depth.

the ncaa is looking at ways to give teams some sort of waiver to increase they're signing class.

Harris didn’t travel for the Florida State game.
That isn’t a fact I guess.

What I am convincing myself of?

DeVito wasn’t suspended for any games.

If you don’t travel with the team before announcing a transfer What do you call it?
Quiting on the team?

I don’t blame Harris at all.
Taj wasn't suspended. Folks are making stuff up to fit their narrative. Which they've made up. Thats all. Having a knee, and a couple other huge life changing condsiderations does not equal suspended.

Yes. Devito's situation is different.

No. Hell no. No way in Hell.
:) :) Not one last s-show for old times sake? Think of all the additional board traffic and the DOZENS of posts you'd get to delete...lol

Kidding. Like I said, I'd rather it get spilled here, first. At least Tommy would have a chance to tell him NOT to say that stuff to reporters. Concerned about that. Pretty sure Tommy wouldn't want that.

I absolutely understand.

the ncaa is looking at ways to give teams some sort of waiver to increase they're signing class.
It doesn’t matter how many you add. You can have 1000 kids who aren’t starting and they’re all candidates to bail now.

You mean the same staff that couldn't put an offensive line together for those 25 games. DeVito has a lot of holes in his game, but that kid took a beating and never complained. That same staff that let a wide receiver throw tantrums on the bench and embarass his quarterback. That same staff that had a high school coach as his position coach for two years? I give the kid credit for wanting to play and sitting on the bench watching a guy who can't throw the ball was probably too much. I wish him luck wherever he goes but as Babers will say tomorrow when asked, " I don't talk about anybody whose not a member of the team."
Yeah I get all that…don’t deny it was certainly a factor. Don’t deny he took some hits. It didn’t work out for the coaching staff either. - you think they were happy with the last two years? let’s see what if anything is said today. I don’t think Dino will be silent on this this week.

In reality, DeVito was benched this spring. As many figured out early, unless Shrader was absolutely terrible, the staff had decided to make the change to Shrader as soon as possible. This is big time sports, wins matter.

Did Dino put together a bit of a charade this fall? Maybe. But even in the early games, especially against Rutgers, you could see it wasn’t going to work even with a much improved line.

It sucks for Tommy, but he was given a fair shot. Maybe it was a bad fit, maybe Tommy isn’t as good as he thinks he is, maybe the staff could have done something better about the OL in 2019 (2020 doesn’t count).

even if all or some of things are true, thank the staff and wish them well when you walk out the door. They wanted you to succeed as much as you did.

And I don’t care if players leave mid year. It is what it is and in most cases, a quick split is best for all.

In reality, DeVito was benched this spring. As many figured out early, unless Shrader was absolutely terrible, the staff had decided to make the change to Shrader as soon as possible. This is big time sports, wins matter.

Did Dino put together a bit of a charade this fall? Maybe. But even in the early games, especially against Rutgers, you could see it wasn’t going to work even with a much improved line.

It sucks for Tommy, but he was given a fair shot. Maybe it was a bad fit, maybe Tommy isn’t as good as he thinks he is, maybe the staff could have done something better about the OL in 2019 (2020 doesn’t count).

even if all or some of things are true, thank the staff and wish them well when you walk out the door. They wanted you to succeed as much as you did.

And I don’t care if players leave mid year. It is what it is and in most cases, a quick split is best for all.
Im More annoyed they didn’t go to Shrader from the start of camp.

He has a d1 arm with the poise and decision making ability of the jersey shore cast. He was given every opportunity. Time to face facts, kid isn’t a p5 qb.

Hope next twist to this snake-bit season is not Shrader has a season-ending injury on one of his runs.
Regardless of W/L impact, need to see if his passing improves with PT.
Would provide clear reason for more optimism regarding the next two seasons.

I’m more annoyed they didn’t make a move after 2019 and look for a transfer. Rules were different as such, but we needed competition at the position.
I would say they did. They just didn’t get one. Not for lack of trying. Tough to lure a transfer QB here with the walking wounded OL we were using. Kids aren’t stupid.

Ummm, not buying it. " Demeanor" based on who's perspective?
From everything we've heard, Taj was a good teammate who was beloved by his peers, just like Tommy.
As fans we can speculate all we want but to succumb to the stereotypical "he's just a cancer" perspective, is a little disturbing, IMO.
I think some introspection might be in order for these polar opposite reactions, to very similar circumstances. JMHO
Acting like a baby on TV and making your QB (Devito) look bad is the difference between Taj and Tommy. Taj repeatedly threw up his hands to complain about bad passes yet regularly dropped balls that hit him in the hands.

acting like a diva will make a fan base dislike you. Taj did that Tommy did not

tommy never showed anyone up

Tommy never gave the finger to the camera mid game

Taj quit while he was the starter. Tommy quit after he lost his starting job and it was clear he wasn’t getting it back

tommy always conducted himself with class. Taj did not

For schools like SU it’s going to be nearly impossible to develop quality depth. If players don’t play they will leave. I’m worried that the remaining four quarterbacks all stay.

Silver lining, Morgan Lamson , and DM get more reps in practice. Particularly Morgan who is now one play from the field. We know Tommy wasn’t the future at this point , One of those three may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom